Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #1

Route North on Hwy 1 in CA; Ft Bragg to Leggett

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I'm renting a 32' Redhawk 29XK and will be traveling to the Sacramento from Seattle along I5. I'll post the rest of my trip north in a separate thread, as someone suggested last month or so that I do so, as others might have tips on what to see and where to stay.

Anyway, got my Trip Tik from AAA and in reading it, page by page, there's an advisory for part of Hwy 1. It's in the Fort Bragg to Leggett section. It says "Note: SR-1; narrow and winding. Not recommended for large RVs."

Question - will I be fine on that section? Of course, the motor home seems large to me since I've never been in one before, but it might not be considered a "large RV" to AAA.

Thanks much folks! I appreciate your help.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #2

Don't do it! I have driven that section of road twice in a car and will never drive it again. The only reason I drove it twice was I wanted to show my husband the worst road ever and he agreed. The road is nothing but switchbacks. I truly don't think your camper will fit because the turns are hairpin curves. You will not have any where to turn around if you get in trouble. Though it may seem shorter to go that way it is not worth it even in a car. In a car I was driving 10-15 miles (maybe less) an hour just driving the curves. Go to Willits and take Rt 20. There are many curves along that road too but not as severe. The ride done 101 is beautiful going up and down the mountains to Willits. Just enjoy and be safe.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #3

Thanks much Travelbug422! This is exactly what I needed to know.

Whew!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #4

Buckwheat Stevenson, "Gettin' it on down Highway 1, nothin' but me, and God and the sun."

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Just to clarify my route, then. I'll be heading north on Hwy1 out of Tomales, which is north of SF/Bay area. Then, just north of Mendocino (and south of Fort Bragg) I'll head east on Hwy 20, over to Willits. Head north on Hwy 101 for the rest of my trip. I'll be heading to Coos Bay and Newport and then east to Corvallis OR.

I just want to make sure you're understanding my question correctly. I'm to avoid the area between Fort Bragg and Leggett, due to the curves in the road.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

I have driven that road 5 times. I love stopping in Fort Bragg, great little town. I have driven just my truck 3 times and my class C (31ft) towing my camry on a dolly 2 times. Do what you want, but there is no reason you won't make it easily. Yes, it does have a lot of turns. If you always want to see the best roads, stay on the interstates. If you want to see beautiful country, take the 1. I will be traveling up the 1 from San Francisco in May towing my 32BHDS and then back down the 1 in June on the way home. I have been on every part of the 1 and 101 from mid Oregon to TJ and take it any chance I can.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug422 View Post
Don't do it! I have driven that section of road twice in a car and will never drive it again. The only reason I drove it twice was I wanted to show my husband the worst road ever and he agreed. The road is nothing but switchbacks. I truly don't think your camper will fit because the turns are hairpin curves. You will not have any where to turn around if you get in trouble. Though it may seem shorter to go that way it is not worth it even in a car. In a car I was driving 10-15 miles (maybe less) an hour just driving the curves. Go to Willits and take Rt 20. There are many curves along that road too but not as severe. The ride done 101 is beautiful going up and down the mountains to Willits. Just enjoy and be safe.
X2-3&4
No No No!!! Do not do that road for any reason. I made it with my Hybrid and it was the worst ride of my life. Very narrow and the twisties are so close together that there's a real good chance that you'll go off the road at just the 10-15 MPH. As said above there's is no turning around and believe me, I wanted to turn around.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Did they move Ft Bragg and not tell me? Last time I checked it was still in NC.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #9

It's in California now. Moved it a few years ago. Make sure to update your GPS. Pulled it there in a Chevy

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #10

That section of road is heaven...if you are riding your motorcycle...and hell if you are riding your motorcycle behind an RV at 10 mph!
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #11

I understand Hwy 1 is so curvy, you will see your own tail lights in front of you!

I wouldn't!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote