Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

Rubber window seal gasket

Noticed yesterday on our new 321rsts that the rubber seal on the outside of the window on the door side slide was hanging by both ends.....
It's the window next to the theater seats so it's the slide up style rather than the frameless. I pressed it back into place but got to wondering if it should have been caulked or siliconed in place. Looks like the slide rubber may be the culprit in pulling the casket off.
Any ideas you care to share?
Thanks.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Your slide out needs adjusted. It is probably set to close to the wall and when you bring your slide in or out the widow seal is being pulled out. At least that was the problem I had.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #3

Is that adjustment something I can fix or do j need to haul it back to the dealer and try to get him to give me warranty service?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #4

I'm hauling mine to the dealer tomorrow morning for just that problem. I'm told it takes about an hour and considerable "manpower" to adjust the slide. We'll see. But I also was getting a window seal pulled out by the slide seal.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:36 AM   #5

Easy to adjust / fix, but yes, you gotta have manpower to move the slide box.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

Well I guess t warranty work begins.....got some ripples in the corner of my roof as well......dealer has already complained about me wanting that looked at.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #7

Got my slide adjusted this week - the dealer also glued the window seal in with some silicone. I mentioned this in another tread - but all of the bolts holding the ends of the slide rams to the outside wall of the slide were only finger tight.
Dealer wound up doing a complete alignment of the slide and then tightened everything.

Dealer was fantastic about this and did the work quickly while I waited.
LOVE my dealer - Anchor RV near Atlanta.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 05-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #8
BCK

Adjusting the slide is on my list for tomorrow. Window gasket pulled out a few weeks ago and thought it was just loose. After reading on here I checked and the slide is very close on the back and the gasket doesn't even touch on the front.

Did some research and it looks like 4 bolts and a bit of grunt work so going to try it myself instead of another warranty trip to the dealer.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:47 AM   #9

Just take something to mark the existing location of the 4 bolts. Draw around them with a sharpie or paint pen. This way you know for sure how much you've moved the box, and this ensures the rails are still even. You know you need 1/2", or whatever, then there's the starting point to see that much movement at the bolts. It'll get you close.

It's easiest to move with the slide partially extended, or retracted. There's a sweet spot where it's easier to move kind of balanced on the Teflon wear strip.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #10

BigJohn gives good advise - my tech's marked the location first - then loosened the bolts, then used a big plumbers hammer to tap the brackets the amount they wanted.

Of course - today I go to the storage lot to show my new RV to a friend and the slide won't run out. The motor just spins. I'm sure it's something simple but since its underwarranty and the dealer is closeby - it's going back out on Monday.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
BCK

Didn't quite get to the slide adjustment as soon as I hoped due to a few other items on the honey-do list but going camping later this week so tackled it yesterday. It was MUCH easier than anticipated and took longer to get a few tools out than to actually do the work.

Ran the slide out about 1/2 way to the balance point, loosened off the 4 nuts and gave the slide box a push. It needed to move about 3/4" and it went so easily that I had to push it back a bit. Eyed it for even on both sides and then double checked by measuring from the outer edge of the gasket trim to the slide box, checked that the rails were even and tightened the nuts.

Looks good and the slide goes in and out much easier than before.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #12

2nd Slide Problem resolved (sort of)

Got my unit fixed by the dealer in 2 days.
Turns out the plastic gears were stripped on the slideout drive.
No explanation of why that happened - the slide was still properly adjusted. I might have been just a defective unit - or I may have held the button too long coming in or out but I don't think I did. In any event - a gearbox like this should not be designed such that it can be so easily destroyed by "operator error".

I have to give kudos to my dealer. After all the bad press some dealers get here I'm going to brag on Crown RV of Conyers Ga. It was Tuesday. They knew I was going camping on Thursday. They knew Jayco couldn't approve a warranty repair fast enough to get me a part in time. So they had an RV parts supplier overnight a motor and gear assembly, changed it out and had the unit ready the next day by 10am. When they get the part from Jayco I guess they will just put it in stock. In any event, they didn't charge me a cent. Mrs. Madren King is the service manager (she and her husband Earl own the place). If you need Jayco service and you're in Georgia - go see them - they have been in business since 1971.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 05-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #13

Nice to hear about a "Good" dealer BuddyRay. Enjoy your camping trip!

Sent via Tapatalk
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote