Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #1

running out of water

Hello all , Im new to jayco .We just bought a 2011 jayflight fb22 about 2 months ago.
We run out of water over 1.5 days to 2 days .I can put in 1/3 or 2/3 water and I still run out . My wife and I only use the water for the bathroom and some dishes and a little coffee. After my pump stops giving water to the taps , I can still get 20 gallons out of my two low point drain hoses.The dealer put in a new pump and checked for leaks , but this problems has not gone away. I have two fresh water tanks with two overflow hoses Can this be the problem ? Can I get syphoning issues with only 1/3 water in fresh tanks ? , my dealer has said that they have had problems with some jayco trailers and syphoning issues. My trailer is going back in to figure this out again . Has anyone had this problem ? and has anyone found a fix for this?
donnymac250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #2

Yes you can get siphoning from the tank... I blocked mine.. BUT since you get 20 gallons from the low point drain that is not the problem.. I will bet the pickup tubes are placed too high in the tank...(and the dealer will SQUAWK at checking that one but he will eventually.)
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #3

In previous posts others have mentioned about having two low point drains for their fwt. I couldn't figure out why they would do this. Now knowing there are two tanks it makes sense. Another poster mentioned that Jayco said that they have siphoning issues with some of their models and some of the air exhaust tubes hooked up and some not. So armed with all this info I checked out the fwt on my Jayco today. So far I've only had full hook ups in the parks so the fresh water system wasn't used.

On the service side of my trailer I have a drain for my fresh water tank. It has a white plastic shut off valve on it. It is located just back of the rear tire . The fill spout is on the door side but what is really interesting is the the air vent next to the fill spout is not hooked up. Instead they have routed the the hose that would have attached there, to out the bottom of the trailer behind the rear wheel. I don't really have a problem with this but it would have been nice to know. If I decided to fill the tank I would have wondered why water wasn't shooting out.

The small air exhaust hose is probably the same one that others including my salesman have referenced to as the overfill tube which didn't make sense to me because when the tank is full it flows out the vent next to the fill spout and than the fill spout itself. You wouldn't need an extra hose for overflow.

I think if the tank was full when traveling and if the length of the exhaust air hose was below that of the level of the tank , and with the air rushing by the open hose end creating a vacuum in the line I can see how water would siphon out. At some point the vacuum wouldn't be strong enough to suck the water up to the top of the tank and therefore no more water loss and the siphoning would stop. Why they chose to alter the location of the hose I don't know. Possibly because of leaks or the time it took to get an off set screw driver to tighten the hose clamp.
So this is how my system works. Hopefully this may help others in understanding their system. Once again sorry for the length.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #4

As I mentioned in my previous post about siphoning, I thing it is possible to easily fix this by putting a clamp on the hose as a previous poster has mentioned. It would be a quick fix and a long term one should you so choose. The hose is strong enough to last and pliable enough to clamp. Hemostats, the little blue ones would work great for this. Another poster cautioned over filling your tank and would be good advice. I am just going to be aware of this potential for water loss to some degree, but will only clamp the line if I need to transport more than half a tank. I hope this has answered the initial question about siphoning. Re. The low point drain and another 20 gallons, the only thing I would suggest is to have the fill cap off when you drain your fresh water tank. You may have an air lock but with the air exhaust tube open it should allow for the tank to drain. But it is possible that if the fill cap was on this may not have allowed your tank to fully drain thru the fwt drain.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

murphie thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post about siphoning, I thing it is possible to easily fix this by putting a clamp on the hose as a previous poster has mentioned. It would be a quick fix and a long term one should you so choose. The hose is strong enough to last and pliable enough to clamp. Hemostats, the little blue ones would work great for this. Another poster cautioned over filling your tank and would be good advice. I am just going to be aware of this potential for water loss to some degree, but will only clamp the line if I need to transport more than half a tank. I hope this has answered the initial question about siphoning. Re. The low point drain and another 20 gallons, the only thing I would suggest is to have the fill cap off when you drain your fresh water tank. You may have an air lock but with the air exhaust tube open it should allow for the tank to drain. But it is possible that if the fill cap was on this may not have allowed your tank to fully drain thru the fwt drain.
Thanks for the reply.My question is why should I have so much water left in my tank after my pump quits pumping water to my taps ?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #6

Donny sorry for missing that. Is it possible that the pump is only drawing water from only one tank some reason. Yet the low point drain is able to empty both. I'm not familiar with your trailer set up but if you have two tanks , do you have two different fill spouts? Are you able to put food coloring of one color in one tank and a different color in the other. This would tell you if the pump is drawing from one or the other or both. My trailer is closed in on the bottom but I can see the top where the water comes in and the air exhaust hose is connected.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #7

water loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Donny sorry for missing that. Is it possible that the pump is only drawing water from only one tank some reason. Yet the low point drain is able to empty both. I'm not familiar with your trailer set up but if you have two tanks , do you have two different fill spouts? Are you able to put food coloring of one color in one tank and a different color in the other. This would tell you if the pump is drawing from one or the other or both. My trailer is closed in on the bottom but I can see the top where the water comes in and the air exhaust hose is connected.
That sounds like a great Idea, but I only have the main fill spout for both tanks,I do have two overflow hoses and two low point drains . I cant see the tank set up, the under belly is all enclosed.Its going in next week , back to the dealer for more water loss repairs.They plan to arc the overflow hoses up higher then the fresh tanks.( So that may help possible syphoning problems.)
Then bring them back down through the underbelly. Then they are going to check the fresh water pick up lines in the tank.I will pass the food coloring idea off the the repair guys at my rv dealer.Thanks again for the reply.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac250 View Post
That sounds like a great Idea, but I only have the main fill spout for both tanks,I do have two overflow hoses and two low point drains . I cant see the tank set up, the under belly is all enclosed.Its going in next week , back to the dealer for more water loss repairs.They plan to arc the overflow hoses up higher then the fresh tanks.( So that may help possible syphoning problems.)
Then bring them back down through the underbelly. Then they are going to check the fresh water pick up lines in the tank.I will pass the food coloring idea off the the repair guys at my rv dealer.Thanks again for the reply.
Donny,
Please post your findings. I have the same issue and I am sure we purchased from the same place. I am phoning them tomorrow. Last year, when I called, they told me it was probably something in the filter, it wasn't. I run out of water at 1/3-2/3 full, get home and drain about 45 gallons (40 from tank 2 and 5 from tank 1). I think Jayco messed up the design on these units!
Husky WD Hitch (600-800lbs)
steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #9

water loss issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
Donny,
Please post your findings. I have the same issue and I am sure we purchased from the same place. I am phoning them tomorrow. Last year, when I called, they told me it was probably something in the filter, it wasn't. I run out of water at 1/3-2/3 full, get home and drain about 45 gallons (40 from tank 2 and 5 from tank 1). I think Jayco messed up the design on these units!
Yes we do have the same problem, My tt is going back monday afternoon .
They will keep it for a week or so to make sure they figure it out .Just give Ron in the service department a call at the dealers, and let him know that you are having the same water problem as I . I hope between us we can get this figured out ? Then we can pass the good news and the fix for this problem to others on here.Thanks for the reply Don Mac Donald.