Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

Rushmore will have to wait :(

Not expecting any advice, just wanted to air it out a little... We had planned a Chicago-to-Rushmore trip this weekend into 4th of July, staying at Custer State Park SD for the week in our X23B. A week and a half ago, DW got into a fender bender in our TV which rendered it undriveable (rear-end accident where the other car's tow hitch took out our trans cooler). It's been in the shop ever since, because they've been "waiting for a part" to come in. Apparently it won't be ready by the time our trip comes up. Our options I guess are we either rent a mini-van/SUV (family of 6) and then stay in a hotel instead of camp to the tune of an extra $1500 for this vacation, or postpone it until we get the TV back. We opted to make plans for postponing the trip for a few weeks. Wife and kids are bummed because we were all looking forward to the trip to start this weekend. The shop said they'd do whatever they can to try to get us ready for Friday, but said it's unlikely and didn't want to make any promises. I can respect that... Anyway, end of rant. Lesson in patience I guess. Thanks for reading, FWIW.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

Sorry to hear that but thankfully your wife is OK!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

That is true. We are thankful there were no injuries. It was a slow rear-end accident where she looked down for a second at a red light and hit the car in front of her at less than 10mph; no airbags deployed. She had all of our kids with her. She would've been able to drive away had it not been for the tow hitch taking out the trans cooler. It is what it is.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #4

I think we are gonna try to go this weekend if I can get reservations somewhere. Not
far from where we are now and have a 4 day weekend.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselX View Post
I think we are gonna try to go this weekend if I can get reservations somewhere. Not
far from where we are now and have a 4 day weekend.
I might try to do that too once I know for sure (by Friday) that the truck will be out of commission and Rushmore is officially postponed. Hopefully it's not so late that all the good local places are filled up.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
I might try to do that too once I know for sure (by Friday) that the truck will be out of commission and Rushmore is officially postponed. Hopefully it's not so late that all the good local places are filled up.
We got the reservations for Sunday night and Monday night, they said we may get lucky for Saturday night and get a same day reservation but if not we can find a parking lot somewhere haha.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Hopefully it's not so late that all the good local places are filled up.
Sorry about your situation. What do you consider to be "good" and "local"? I'm in the Chgo SW suburbs too. Nearest decent places I go are in Michigan.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you can make it to Custer SP, it is beautiful there.Make sure you go to Crasy Horse and Boor Hill!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Stubbs View Post
Sorry about your situation. What do you consider to be "good" and "local"? I'm in the Chgo SW suburbs too. Nearest decent places I go are in Michigan.
If we get the car back before the 4th, I wouldn't mind just taking the kids to a closer state park like Rock Cut or Rockwood-Morrison. We'll see. I spoke with the shop today and they said they are trying their hardest to get it ready by Friday and are a little more optimistic today than they were yesterday. If that happens, we'll still head to Custer this weekend. If not, then we'll just head there later next month...
Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wing View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you can make it to Custer SP, it is beautiful there.Make sure you go to Crasy Horse and Boor Hill!
Thanks. We're still going to make it there and are really looking forward to it. It's just a matter of whether it's this weekend like we planned, or will be the week of 7/20. I ended up double-booking us for Custer, just in case. There was only one camp site left when I booked 7/20! If we can go this week, I'll cancel that reservation.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks. We're still going to make it there and are really looking forward to it. It's just a matter of whether it's this weekend like we planned, or will be the week of 7/20. I ended up double-booking us for Custer, just in case. There was only one camp site left when I booked 7/20! If we can go this week, I'll cancel that reservation.
What campground you (might be) staying in? We will be there this weekend.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
What campground you (might be) staying in? We will be there this weekend.
If we can make it out this weekend, we'll arrive Monday and be at the Game Lodge campground. If we have to wait until 7/20, we'll be at Sylvan Lake campground.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:40 AM   #13

We are gonna be at the Game Lodge campground.Site #46 from July 4-July 9th.Jayco eagle 330 rlts.If you happen by stop on in.Would love to meet other Jayco Owners forum members.Have a nice trip.Scott.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #14

We will be at Game Lodge campground from July 21-24. Can't remember the site. After that we are heading to Yellowstone and then Glacier. Really looking forward to it!

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbear92 View Post
We are gonna be at the Game Lodge campground.Site #46 from July 4-July 9th.Jayco eagle 330 rlts.If you happen by stop on in.Would love to meet other Jayco Owners forum members.Have a nice trip.Scott.
We'll be at Game Lodge site #25 from June 30 - July 4 if all goes well. We'll be checking out the morning of July 4 and heading home, so we may not cross paths...

Well, the body shop called and said the truck is in the "detailing" phase and final quality check, so at the moment, they expect that we will likely be able to pick it up today. *Fingers crossed*
Old 06-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
We'll be at Game Lodge site #25 from June 30 - July 4 if all goes well. We'll be checking out the morning of July 4 and heading home, so we may not cross paths...

Well, the body shop called and said the truck is in the "detailing" phase and final quality check, so at the moment, they expect that we will likely be able to pick it up today. *Fingers crossed*

That is awesome. Hopefully all goes well and you can make your trip. Be sure and check the tv over very good before heading out. Wouldn't want a break down on the road.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #17

Just picked up the truck. Looks like we'll be good to go. Going to look it over tonight, and take it for a mini test tow to make sure all is in order. So far, everything looks good though. I think we'll be be headed to Rushmore tomorrow after all.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #18

Great to hear. We'll be there last week of July, coming back via Yellowstone. Have a safe and enjoyable journey.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #19

Maybe we'll see ya there!! We will be there Saturday-Tuesday, not sure which campgrounds wife has that info in her purse lol. We have to move though and still don't have a reservation for Saturday night.

Also we aren't taking the camper, sleeping in our Excursion since we couldn't get big enough sites on short notice.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselX View Post
Maybe we'll see ya there!! We will be there Saturday-Tuesday, not sure which campgrounds wife has that info in her purse lol. We have to move though and still don't have a reservation for Saturday night.

Also we aren't taking the camper, sleeping in our Excursion since we couldn't get big enough sites on short notice.
Yes, perhaps we'll see you there. Enjoy your trip!