Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2016, 04:42 AM   #1

Unhappy Rusty Frame

Purchased new Jayco trailer in April 2016. Had rust on tongue and Camping World fixed the tongue. Noticed shortly afterward that the entire frame is quite rusty. Contacted Lippert, the frame manufacture, they turned down warranty because "it looks like was hauled on salty roads and not washed upon delivery. I have never drug trailer on even wet roads let alone salty.

Returned trailer to Camping World Spokane for warranty and no one - Jayco, Lippert, or Camping World will accept responsibility. Have tried to talk to Service Manager, General Manager and Sales Manager. Service Manager called back - said he would talk to General Manager and let me know, no more responses. General and Sales Manager haven't called back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
WeLoveSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:16 AM   #2

Same issue here, we have had ours a year and the frame is covered with rust.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:16 AM   #3

Is it surface rust? How did CW fix the frame? Some pictures would be a big help here...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #4

2014 Greyhawk also had rust on frame

Our Greyhawk had rust on several frame members as noted in this post and the one immediately following it. Our dealer sanded and repainted the frame under warranty 18 months ago. I am keeping an eye on it and no rust has reappeared.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

While I think rust should not appear on a new trailer frame, keep in mind that the frames are not powder coated, they are just painted with black paint. That said all 3 trailers I've owned needed a light sanding and painting after just 3 years.

My X20E's frame was fine the first year, but when I took delivery of the trailer all of the metal parts that hold the propane tanks down were rusted. I didn't catch it until the first time I took the cover off. I ended up sanding and painting them.

Regardless, someone should step up and correct the issue. If Lippert says it was hauled though salty wet roads that's probably the company that hauled and delivered it to CW. And CW is be responsible for the prep of the trailer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveSandy View Post
Contacted Lippert, the frame manufacture, they turned down warranty because "it looks like was hauled on salty roads and not washed upon delivery. I have never drug trailer on even wet roads let alone salty.
You may not have but someone else may have. When was it manufactured? When was it delivered to the dealer?
Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveSandy View Post
Purchased new Jayco trailer in April 2016. Had rust on tongue and Camping World fixed the tongue. Noticed shortly afterward that the entire frame is quite rusty. Contacted Lippert, the frame manufacture, they turned down warranty because "it looks like was hauled on salty roads and not washed upon delivery. I have never drug trailer on even wet roads let alone salty.

Returned trailer to Camping World Spokane for warranty and no one - Jayco, Lippert, or Camping World will accept responsibility. Have tried to talk to Service Manager, General Manager and Sales Manager. Service Manager called back - said he would talk to General Manager and let me know, no more responses. General and Sales Manager haven't called back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Well, let's see. Where do they salt the roads...hmmm, the midwest! Where was the trailer manufactured...hmmm Indiana!. Who should have washed off the trailer upon delivery...hmmm the dealer! My guess is this trailer was built in the wintertime, hauled across country on salty roads (depending on trailer size, they may, or may not, put them on a truck). Either way, it seems to me either Jayco, the frame manufacturer, or the dealer should be accountable.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Well, let's see. Where do they salt the roads...hmmm, the midwest! Where was the trailer manufactured...hmmm Indiana!. Who should have washed off the trailer upon delivery...hmmm the dealer! My guess is this trailer was built in the wintertime, hauled across country on salty roads (depending on trailer size, they may, or may not, put them on a truck). Either way, it seems to me either Jayco, the frame manufacturer, or the dealer should be accountable.
Not only that, but salt remains on midwest/new england road even after the winter. Sure it's not as bad as the dead of winter but I've never seen them sweep the highway! All it takes is a little rain to kick up a nice salty/briney solution under all of our vehicles year round.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #9

mix of deep and surface. Fixed tongue with paint and I guess sanding first. Can't figure out how to add pics.
WeLoveSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #10

That happened to mine as well. I wire brushed the rust off, primed and painted. Problem solved .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #11

Our unit had a muddy salty cake encrusted under the full length of the wheel wells. We asked the dealer to remove it as an item on our delivery checklist. We went over the checklist with the dealer three times prior to taking delivery. Each time, we received the obligatory pleasantries and expressions of concern and sincerity. When we went to take delivery, our unit was not ready since they had not installed the wd hitch or the slide out cover that we ordered and paid cash for in advance. No one called us to inform us of the delay, and we were not given any reason for the delay - When we got there, we were just told that it was not ready. They had our payment for the parts, but "It's not ready" is all that we were told.

We noticed that, in addition to two other interior items, the mud removal had not been performed. We again pointed this out. So we made another 60 mile trip (taking more time off of work) the next day to get the trailer. We saw that the mud was still caked. But after watching the techs incorrectly set up our wd hitch, and given all of the monkey junk we were experiencing, we got the Feather hitched and left. We spent four hours on our backs on thoroughly cleaning the entire chassis (brushes, rags, plastic scraper). As we did, we inspected all of the lines, fittings, and seals. We found several areas that we will seal ourselves very soon.

So far the rust is minimal. We know that we will be applying a converter, primer, and paint in the coming year or so to most of the chassis. We will be shocked if we do not have to do this. And, yes, we did get our hitch nice and smooth. After hopping and jerking home, we went to a nearly level campsite and got the Equalizer dialed in. Dealers are notorious for not incorporating the front wheel well measurements. They just measure the ball and the tongue heights. To get proper distribution, you use the front wheel well measurements specified in the Progress Manufacturing's instructions. They were off by an inch on the shank, and three washers were needed in the ball trajectory setting. Now, the chassis is FeatherFam clean and the hitch is dead on!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Our unit had a muddy salty cake encrusted under the full length of the wheel wells. We asked the dealer to remove it as an item on our delivery checklist. We went over the checklist with the dealer three times prior to taking delivery. Each time, we received the obligatory pleasantries and expressions of concern and sincerity. When we went to take delivery, our unit was not ready since they had not installed the wd hitch or the slide out cover that we ordered and paid cash for in advance. No one called us to inform us of the delay, and we were not given any reason for the delay - When we got there, we were just told that it was not ready. They had our payment for the parts, but "It's not ready" is all that we were told.

We noticed that, in addition to two other interior items, the mud removal had not been performed. We again pointed this out. So we made another 60 mile trip (taking more time off of work) the next day to get the trailer. We saw that the mud was still caked. But after watching the techs incorrectly set up our wd hitch, and given all of the monkey junk we were experiencing, we got the Feather hitched and left. We spent four hours on our backs on thoroughly cleaning the entire chassis (brushes, rags, plastic scraper). As we did, we inspected all of the lines, fittings, and seals. We found several areas that we will seal ourselves very soon.

So far the rust is minimal. We know that we will be applying a converter, primer, and paint in the coming year or so to most of the chassis. We will be shocked if we do not have to do this. And, yes, we did get our hitch nice and smooth. After hopping and jerking home, we went to a nearly level campsite and got the Equalizer dialed in. Dealers are notorious for not incorporating the front wheel well measurements. They just measure the ball and the tongue heights. To get proper distribution, you use the front wheel well measurements specified in the Progress Manufacturing's instructions. They were off by an inch on the shank, and three washers were needed in the ball trajectory setting. Now, the chassis is FeatherFam clean and the hitch is dead on!
I'm sure you know the old saying.... If you want something done right, well, you know the rest.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #13

When we bought our 2012 26BH in August of 2012, it had been towed to the Syracuse, NY camper show the first weekend in March and still had all the salt underneath. It was already quite rusty and we never noticed it because I never crawled under it when we bought it. The outside of the frame was clean so I never looked further.

The way I took care of the rust was to apply Mouse-free to the underside. This accomplished two things, 1. it sealed the underside and stopped the frame from rusting more and 2. it protected the interior from getting any mice in it! Mouse-free stay wet and oily so the mice won't even try to go in. We will be applying it to our 2017 28BHBE this month!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote