Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #1

RV Direct (Orlando RV Location)

I wanted to share some quick thoughts about a recent purchasing experience with RV Direct and their Orlando RV Facility. I've been a fan up until last week. Buyer beware, unless you're buying locally! Bought a 2013 Melbourne 28F November 1st.

Positive - their pricing structure. I remain highly satisfied with the price I secured for a new 2013 Jayco Melbourne 28F picked up last week. These folks have a great business model, as long as you don't mind funding a unit, paying taxes and buying insurance before ever seeing the unit.

Negative - the Demo down in Orlando was pitiful. I really was made to feel like a second class citizen. The 2HR demo turned to 6+ hours and I ended up pulling out of the lot without all items being addressed because I lost patience and confidence in their service operation. (One exception - tech named Nick seemed to be the only one who gave a darn). Issues included air conditioner not fully operable, Girard hot water heater not fully functional, passenger seat installed to close to the seat belt mechanism prohibiting it moving back, blemishes in the paint finish not buffed out, bathroom halogen light out, main entry door misaligned, and storage compartment rack misaligned. I may have missed a few items...

I had to empty the fresh tank myself before leaving, and had to rescure all doors, etc. myself. These folks simply forgot (or didn't care) about me. Pitiful. Just pitiful.
knoxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

Sorry for your experence with RV Direct in Orlando.
We bought our Pinnacle there and had a great experence.
We knew their business model and beat them up on price pretty good.
PDI and Delivery went ok, fourd a few minor items they missed.
Everything was corrected immediatly and we were on our way.
That being said we knew most likely we would not be returning for service since we would not be in that area very often so it was all about getting the best price possiable.
We have used other Jayco Dealers for what little service we have needed over the last year and have no complaints.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #3

Knoxcamper,
I have to agree with you concerning RV direct (Orlando) after the sale service. The price is good, but that is where the buck stops at Orlando RV. I just picked up my White Hawk in the spring and have had to deal with their service department twice aside from the dismal pick up demo. The man who did my walk through was more interested in rushing than answering questions. When I asked him where the manual slide crank fitting was located, he had no idea then told me there wasn't one. I asked a mechanic who was standing nearby and he was more than happy to help me find it. As we were under the camper, my demo guy was complaining that this other guy was taking too much time to show me the fitting.

Just today I picked up my WH from their service department. It was there for a month for three items. One simple repair was intermittent outdoor speakers. They quit everytime after 5 minutes from the first day I brought it home. They said they could not duplicate it. I told them twice to give it a few minutes. They assured me they gave them an hour. I arrived, turned on the speakers and, as expected, dead after a couple minutes. Second was a tire that wore out after 1000 miles. They replaced the tire under warranty, but told me they had no idea why it happened. Not very comforting for my next long trip. Third they had to replace the protective fabric under the slide out. To do this they had to remove the interior trim work around the slide so they could hyper-extend it. The trim is wood grain and stained. They stapled it back on and patched the staple holes with RED caulk. It looked like crap. It literally looked like fingernail polish. They are now ordering a new set of trim (which I will put on myself) and say they will fix the speakers next time. Although they are handling my problems it is very clear from their demeanor that they really don't care that I am inconvenienced. It is also apparent the left hand does not know what the right is doing in the service department. I did not even mention all the problems I had with delivery.

I do have a question for the group. Will it do any good to address these issues with Jayco?
Equalizer Brand 10,000 lb. WD Hitch
Bamm737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #4

Bill,
You and I must have had the same service tech handling our walk thrus...
I remain satisfied with my purchase, but also disappointed with RV Direct's lack of customer service skills on ALL levels.
My experience is still fresh, but I do believe addressing these type issues with Jayco are important, if for no reason other than to help the next buyer. In the last two days, I have emailed Jayco and called them with some preliminary warranty questions, and they seemed very responsive. I now have an uncooperative local dealer (Tennessee RV) indicating that they will refuse warranty repairs on units bought elsewhere.... this was predictable so I'm not surprised. Jayco must have someone in charge of dealer network relations, and they need to know when they have uncooperative (or incompetent) dealers selling and servicing their units. At least we'll feel better, I suspect Jayco has a higher level of integrity than dealers like RV Direct or Tennessee RV.
Jeff
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxcamper View Post
Bill,
You and I must have had the same service tech handling our walk thrus...
I remain satisfied with my purchase, but also disappointed with RV Direct's lack of customer service skills on ALL levels.
My experience is still fresh, but I do believe addressing these type issues with Jayco are important, if for no reason other than to help the next buyer. In the last two days, I have emailed Jayco and called them with some preliminary warranty questions, and they seemed very responsive. I now have an uncooperative local dealer (Tennessee RV) indicating that they will refuse warranty repairs on units bought elsewhere.... this was predictable so I'm not surprised. Jayco must have someone in charge of dealer network relations, and they need to know when they have uncooperative (or incompetent) dealers selling and servicing their units. At least we'll feel better, I suspect Jayco has a higher level of integrity than dealers like RV Direct or Tennessee RV.
Jeff
I had a dealer that sold Prowlers at the time tell me that as far as he was aware no RV dealer was required by any RV manufacturer to do warranty work for anyone that did not buy their RV from them. He said autos like ford are required to do warranty work at any Ford dealer no matter where it was purchased. His policy was not to refuse to do warranty work for a non-buying customer but to put them behind his regular customers. In addition he said that anyone traveling was given higher priority due to their transient nature. Of course that may have changed since then.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #6

As stated, it was predicable that the local Jayco dealer Tennessee RV is refusing to do warranty service, so I was very well aware at the time of purchase that they may (and I guess rightfully so) could refuse service on my unit. I harbor no real ill feelings toward Tennessee RV, perhaps calling their integrity into question was a tad too harsh... I have found someone else locally who will do this work, Campers Corner in Knoxville, TN. I also believe there is an outfit called Dunlap RV less than 100mi away who will gladly do warranty work for units bought elsewhere. Should I have a need to need to buy services, supplies, or even a new camper down the road, guess which company(ies) are going to get my business, and which one will merit absolutely no consideration? Customer Service counts.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

I took my RV Direct quote to Tennessee RV and they came within $200, so I bough my Whitehawk 27DSRL from them. It was in perfect shape and the walk thru went real well. I've only had a couple of minor issues with it and I was able to fix them myself wih no problem, so I haven't had to take it back for any warrenty service. As per the way I was treated at Tennessee RV, I would recommend them to anyone. They will deal with you.
Durasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

Tennessee RV refused to return my calls when I offered them $1850.00 over RV Directs price. Glad you had success, good luck working with these folks down the line... I'll work my service issues with Campers Corner who are willing to show customers respect.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

BAM37, I had similar service/delivery problems with our Pinnacle. I complained about the dealer to JAYCO Customer Service and was directed to a nearby JAYCO dealer that handled all the problems left from Selling dealer in Mesa, AZ.
FiredguyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #10

We have bought many new cars and boats. Our camper is (was) a 1964 model that we've owned for 27 years. Its still set up on our property for the kids to use. Our one and only experience buying a brand new RV was this past Summer with a Jayco from RVOne in Buffalo. While on vacation out of state we saw the Jayco and decided to look up a local dealer when we got home. I was also armed with pricing and was ready to dicker.

I asked for a specific model (it was in stock) along with a bunch of dealer installed options. When the Salesperson came back from the manager's office she blew me away. The price was 2000 less than I was willing to go. Included was a generator that I got at below wholesale.

We had it delivered to our campsite. The correspondence from the transportation manager was outstanding. The PDI was awesome - every item was working and tested. I could not find 1 single item to fix. The generator was unpacked, oiled up, run and included a full tank of gas. They had it stowed in the closet.

All in all, one of the best purchaes I ever made. I never thought to check with the BBB or internet chat. If I had I might have gone elsewhere, but I'm glad I didn't.

I guess the old adage "YMMV" is true.....LOL.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote