Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Rv gps

Have been looking at various GPS units designed for RV'ers. Leaning toward the Garmin RV760 LMT. Seems to have the features I would like on our first trip this winter.

Any thoughts on this unit as compared with others? Replacing an ancient Garmin nuvi so somewhat comfortable with the Garmin user interface.

Jeff
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Team

I just got that same unit from Factory Outlet Store | Online Shopping | Online Outlet Store. They run specials on all the comparable models. Mine is a re-conditioned unit with a new warranty and I bought the 2 yr extended warranty. Something I don't usually do.

So far, I have found it to be easy to use. I did go online and printed the user manual. They don't send one with it.

Out of the box it worked perfectly and was easy to gert used to it if you ever had a Garmin.

One suggestion, I had to order the ac adapter after I got it because it is not included in the purchase. Only the DC adapter.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

I've got the 760 with the back-up camera that was the factory option on the PINNACLE in 2015 and I really like it. I mainly use it for the RV warnings and the camera which I leave on while driving the warnings over write the camera. When there are generic warnings speed limits etc it chimes so you can go back to the regular screen to see what it was for. It also comes with lifetime map upgrades which you do from your laptop.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #4

Just bought this new on eBay for $299 with the camera included. Hoping it gets here before next weekend's trip, although it probably won't. Looks like it has all the features that we are used to using plus the added features of programming in the tt specs. Last trip to the USA, we got a ticket for towing our old pup, on a interstate that apparently is no towing. We didn't know that section was a no-towing section. Didn't see a sign about it... Was just going where the GPS told us to go. Anyway, hope to avoid that mistake again. Plan on using the camera as a sort of review mirror, as opposed to a back-up only feature.
I know the camera Bc-20 isn't the best picture, but it's better than nothing.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #5

I've been looking for a GPS that allows you to set your own directions and uses the same for the return trip. Does anyone know of any that will do that. The problem I always run into is the GPS will not always send me the best way. Several places we go tell you not to follow the GPS and give you a route to take. I would like to be able to tell a GPS this is the way I want to go. I would also like to be able to take the same route home and my current GPS will sometimes take you one way and return another. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1751 View Post
I've been looking for a GPS that allows you to set your own directions and uses the same for the return trip. Does anyone know of any that will do that. The problem I always run into is the GPS will not always send me the best way. Several places we go tell you not to follow the GPS and give you a route to take. I would like to be able to tell a GPS this is the way I want to go. I would also like to be able to take the same route home and my current GPS will sometimes take you one way and return another. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I asked Garmin a similar question, can you drag the preferred route to another route on the map? (AAA TripTik allows you to do this). They said they have no models that will do that.

However, many Garmins can download routes that you plan on your computer. The trick is you have to either have your computer with you or do all your route planning before you leave home.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine is a re-conditioned unit with a new warranty and I bought the 2 yr extended warranty. Something I don't usually do.
Interesting fact ... factory refurbished/reconditioned units (of whatever) are 100% quality checked before they go out the door; newly manufactured units have a sampling that is quality checked - therefore not every unit gets the same 'touch'. Think about it! Since the Cuisinart Grind-and-Brew DGB-550 water heating element is known to fail, yet we love the coffee-maker, this is one of our favorite factory-refurbished items (we've got 3 in storage right now waiting their turn)!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1751 View Post
We have the RV760LMT and are very happy with it. While it doesn't allow you to customize a route on the unit itself, the BaseCamp trip making software (free download from Garmin) does allow you to do that and then load to the unit. My personal preference as I have a bigger screen to work with.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
I asked Garmin a similar question, can you drag the preferred route to another route on the map? (AAA TripTik allows you to do this). They said they have no models that will do that.

However, many Garmins can download routes that you plan on your computer. The trick is you have to either have your computer with you or do all your route planning before you leave home.
While you can't drag and instantly re-route, you can set intermediate destinations on almost any unit that I have seen.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 AM   #10

BTW - there are other threads here on GPS, for example you may wish to check into trucker versions as their GPS functionality differs. I know Rand-McNally is one vendor who sells them, I'm sure there are more.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:54 AM   #11

Charging

Thanks for all the input.

One more question: will the Garmin stay powered/charge while connected to the laptop for updates and BaseCamp transfers? Or, must I buy an AC charger as well?

Jeff
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #12
Site Team

It has a battery that allows it to be used w/o power. Not sure home long as I'm still learning about it
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #13

Grumpy,
Your 2015 factory option how does the head unit connect to the FW and how big is the TV unit. I looked at another post of yours and I did not know it was also a GPS Map unit. I just added the G rated tires to my Pinnacle order and might also add the camera. Give me your likes and dislikes
tks
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
Thanks for all the input.

One more question: will the Garmin stay powered/charge while connected to the laptop for updates and BaseCamp transfers? Or, must I buy an AC charger as well?

Jeff
The unit will be powered/charged while connected to the laptop. I've also plugged it into a USB adapter to charge it - same principal as my iPhone. I have rarely used it without some type of power source, and then only for short periods, so no idea how long the battery will last. That said, and it may not be a good comparison, but I have a small Garmin unit that I use on my bicycle and the battery on that lasts about six hours.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
The unit will be powered/charged while connected to the laptop. I've also plugged it into a USB adapter to charge it - same principal as my iPhone. I have rarely used it without some type of power source, and then only for short periods, so no idea how long the battery will last. That said, and it may not be a good comparison, but I have a small Garmin unit that I use on my bicycle and the battery on that lasts about six hours.
The Garmin website says "Battery Life - up to one hour" for the RV 760 LMT.
That big screen apparently takes a lot of juice to illuminate.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote