Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

RV Insurance

First we are happy new owners of a Jaco Hybrid. Took delivery from the dealer just a few miles from the factory-great experience! Graduated from a tent camper-what a great step forward!
Our question relates to Good Sam RV Insurance on our new travel trailer (X17Z) thru GMAC, comments would be appreciated
Thanks-Great Forum,
Terry
tvett68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

GMAC doesn't know anything about insurance. Good Sam doesn't know anything about insurance. There are tons of entities selling insurance now who have no business selling insurance.(Remember when the banks and credit card companies decided they knew something about insurance?? Banks can't even do banking right) The cheapest way to go is to add your trailer to your auto policy. There is a lot of specialty insurance companies that can give you RV specific insurance that has a lot more coverage, but you pay for it. Stay away from the 800 companies like progressive and geico.
Texascamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

I was fortunate that while hooked up to the TV, the liability is covered under my auto insurance. While at a campsite, the liability is covered under my homeowners. I just had to get a comp and collision policy. $75 every 6 months through Allstate, which has my auto and homeowners.
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

Welcome to the JOF, tvett68, Texascamper and Grunge Grown up.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #5

X2 on staying away from Geico. Had a very bad experience years ago, and wouldn't sign with them again if they were the last ins company on the planet. Also agree with Texascamper on adding to your regular auto ins. Did that with State Farm, and have had no complaints. Cheaper, too.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge Grown Up View Post
I was fortunate that while hooked up to the TV, the liability is covered under my auto insurance. While at a campsite, the liability is covered under my homeowners. I just had to get a comp and collision policy. $75 every 6 months through Allstate, which has my auto and homeowners.
This is how it was explained to me from my Insurance Agents. So both my vehicles and TT are through Commerce Insurance under 1 policy.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #7

I have a separate trailer policy through my auto/homeowners company...allied insurance. Costs me ~$200/yr and provides comp/collision, gap, and vacation liability while not hitched above and beyond my HO policy.

Agree with staying away from 1-800 and Internet companies...not because they are good companies but if I ever have a claim I want an office and living body I can see. Fortunately, and unfortunately, my dad owns a brokerage.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #8

While we are on the subject of insurance, what do you tell them to insure it for, the MSRP, or what you paid for it? 21st is giving me a great deal on my auto's, but is killing me on the 19H.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post
While we are on the subject of insurance, what do you tell them to insure it for, the MSRP, or what you paid for it? 21st is giving me a great deal on my auto's, but is killing me on the 19H.
I bought a new 2012 JayFlight 26BH in Oct 2012. If totaled during the first 5yrs my policy will replace my unit with the same model (or comparable if Jayco doesn't make a JayFlight 26BH) at the current model year...so through model year 2017. The insurance company required a copy of the purchase contract before issuing coverage, so they know the actual purchase price not MSRP if that even matters. After 5yrs the TT is insured for fair market value. Fair market value is determined by an adjuster, or if I disagree based on a negotiation between the insurance company and myself or my representative (lawyer). Hopefully I never make a claim, but the first 5 years effectively provides "free" GAP coverage...after that I wouldn't expect any GAP to exist.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I bought a new 2012 JayFlight 26BH in Oct 2012. If totaled during the first 5yrs my policy will replace my unit with the same model (or comparable if Jayco doesn't make a JayFlight 26BH) at the current model year...so through model year 2017. The insurance company required a copy of the purchase contract before issuing coverage, so they know the actual purchase price not MSRP if that even matters. After 5yrs the TT is insured for fair market value. Fair market value is determined by an adjuster, or if I disagree based on a negotiation between the insurance company and myself or my representative (lawyer). Hopefully I never make a claim, but the first 5 years effectively provides "free" GAP coverage...after that I wouldn't expect any GAP to exist.
Well, I think I am going to shop around at a local agent this week. 21st is costing me almost 800 year, that has to go.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvett68 View Post
First we are happy new owners of a Jaco Hybrid. Took delivery from the dealer just a few miles from the factory-great experience! Graduated from a tent camper-what a great step forward!
Our question relates to Good Sam RV Insurance on our new travel trailer (X17Z) thru GMAC, comments would be appreciated
Thanks-Great Forum,
Terry
We just got our TT in January. I checked insurance rates with just about every company and found the Good Sams (GMAC) policy to be very affordable, and has some really good features. Haven't had to use it yet (and hope not to). Give them a look for yourself.....