Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Rv vs. Residential Refrigerator

Would like everyone's opinion about the best choice for refrigerator for full timing with some boondocking. The pro and cons of each and why. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

Residential fridge will not run on propane, will require an inverter and a good size battery bank to boondock. The RV will most likely run on propane saving precious battery power.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #3

As Heady said not really good for boondocking unless you have extra batteries or solar. JAYCO says you will get about 16 hours on a fully charged battery.

We don't boondock and love the residential reefer.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #4

I am beginning my first year with a residential refrigerator. I boondock quite a bit and have quickly learned that even with 4 12v batteries, there just isn't enough to run the refrigerator very long. The obvious plus side of a residential refrigerator is the capacity. At this point, it's too late for me to do anything about the type of refrigeratory. The cost to switch over would be prohibitive. What I have decided to do is to add solar to the mix. I'm in the process of having 480 watts of solar panels added which I hope will provide enough charging power to keep up with the electrical consumption. Additionally, at some point in the future I will probably switch to heavier duty 6v batteries. Time will tell.

Jim
Old 06-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #5

Since you will be Full Timing… you will really need to make a decision on how you plan your future adventures. If you are the type that likes to go off and say “We should go and camp along that river” vs the type that says “Lets go check in to the Campground” – that will help you decide.

What most call “boondocking” for even 2-3 nights in a row with a residential fridge will learn to hate that residential fridge decision. They were made for those that are plugged into utility power. Or those who run the generator during the daytime / travel to have the AC power available – but once the generator shuts down – you are running a significant AC appliance on your inverter – and that sucks the life out of batteries.

We are the 80% Boondocking type! We have a 4-door Norcold that runs on AC or Propane. It is plenty large enough for two weeks of food (Canned and Bottled Beverages go in our cooler in an outside compartment) and switches over to Propane when the Generator is shut down for the night – or for an all day adventure away from the Motorhome. When we are boondocking – we will run out of water, long before we run out of propane from running the fridge and water heater.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #6

Thanks for all the quick replies. I think we will go with the RV frige to be on the safe side. Also will go with the Honda generators for extended days if we need a boost of power. This will give us time to decide if we need the added option of solar. We are looking to purshase our rig by the end of the year or the first of next year. Decided on the Pinnacle 36FBTS. Again thanks for the help. Hope to see all of you someday somwhere.

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As Heady said not really good for boondocking unless you have extra batteries or solar. JAYCO says you will get about 16 hours on a fully charged battery.

We don't boondock and love the residential reefer.
I wonder if that 16 hours is to a dead battery? We all know how long batteries last that are run down "dead" frequently.

I'll stick with my Norcold.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Since you will be Full Timing… you will really need to make a decision on how you plan your future adventures. If you are the type that likes to go off and say “We should go and camp along that river” vs the type that says “Lets go check in to the Campground” – that will help you decide.

What most call “boondocking” for even 2-3 nights in a row with a residential fridge will learn to hate that residential fridge decision. They were made for those that are plugged into utility power. Or those who run the generator during the daytime / travel to have the AC power available – but once the generator shuts down – you are running a significant AC appliance on your inverter – and that sucks the life out of batteries.

We are the 80% Boondocking type! We have a 4-door Norcold that runs on AC or Propane. It is plenty large enough for two weeks of food (Canned and Bottled Beverages go in our cooler in an outside compartment) and switches over to Propane when the Generator is shut down for the night – or for an all day adventure away from the Motorhome. When we are boondocking – we will run out of water, long before we run out of propane from running the fridge and water heater.
X2

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #9

An another advantage to the Rv fridge ( at least for me ) is that when in electric mode , the fridge doesn't make any noise.
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

Have to add some comments to our latest trip... we spent 6 days in Colorado last week where the daytime high temperature was 104. Our Seneca has the double door Norcold RV fridge and it was absolutely amazing.

We put an indoor/outdoor thermometer (the outdoor remote module) in the fridge to try to keep track of our food temperatures... I was amazed that it was rock solid and kept our food between 31 and 36 degrees with moderate door activity. We traveled on Propane and when the Generator was on - it switched over and back to Propane as it should.

It holds LOTS in that thing... (we keep the canned beverages in a cooler in a side compartment) and held over a weeks full of food for 5 adults with lots of room to spare.

SO GLAD we went this direction...
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #11

We have the residential refrigerator. Had I to do it over again, I would choose the rv option. We had 480 watts of solar panels installed and were able to run the refrigerator for 6 days on the batteries before we lost sunshine. Probably the best I will be able to do, but I'm still not entirely happy with the situation.

Jim