Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
That's a poor excuse from the dealer. Jayco pays shop rates within normal limits - just like your car. No, dealers don't get a fat margin like non-warranty work but they don't loose money either, unless they simply like to work at a slow pace. A good friend of mine owned a rather large dealership that sold a upper and lower end unit. The dealership openly serviced all units, first come first served. The dealership also did mobile repairs for both warranty and non-warranty repairs. The dealership was so popular the family was bought out by Mark Lemonis who owns Camping World. IMHO there are dealers who use this excuse as a crutch to support inflated unit prices... It sounds like Jayco supports that type of behavior.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
That's a poor excuse from the dealer. Jayco pays shop rates within normal limits - just like your car. No, dealers don't get a fat margin like non-warranty work but they don't loose money either, unless they simply like to work at a slow pace. A good friend of mine owned a rather large dealership that sold a upper and lower end unit. The dealership openly serviced all units, first come first served. The dealership also did mobile repairs for both warranty and non-warranty repairs. The dealership was so popular the family was bought out by Mark Lemonis who owns Camping World. IMHO there are dealers who use this excuse as a crutch to support inflated unit prices... It sounds like Jayco supports that type of behavior.
I couldn't disagree with you more. Although I too want to buy my RVs from the dealer willing to provide the lowest purchase price and have any necessary service done at the dealer most convenient to me, that just isn't the case and can't be the case. Every business has their own "burdened cost" to operate and must generate profits to cover their costs and what they consider to be an appropriate ROI for their risk in being a business owner and based or the expectations of their shareholders.

This is nothing more than a simple case of economics....

- Shop rates vary wildly across the country. I personally know in my area 90-110 is typical and from time I spent in OK $70-$80 was more typical. Is that a result of a greedy shop? Doubtful, it’s a reflection of the different cost to operate business in different areas. Being that mfg reimburse on at the same rate nationwide, by definition warranty work can be good business in some areas and not others. Apparently in Maine its good business.

- When non-warranty work is performed payment is due upon completion. Warranty work however often takes 60+ days to be paid. Now you are asking the dealership to float that money to the mfg, there is a cost associated with temporary "loss of capital"

- If a dealer is performing warranty work, there is the “opportunity cost” of not being able to perform better paying jobs because the techs are tied up with warranty service. Dealership are willing to absorb this opportunity cost for an actual customer, but they should not be expected to from someone who isn't a regular customer.

- Lastly, car dealerships would love to be able to have the same model but the market has forced auto makers to contractually require their dealerships to provide warranty services regardless of purchase location. Until the market sends the same message to RV mfgs to require same, this practice won't change and shouldn't change.

I said its simple economics, but really is a lesson in capitalism and everything that makes this country great.

EDIT: I should point out I too didn't buy at my local dealer (30 miles) because they wouldn't work with me on price. I went to a dealership 120 miles a way. I drove by two Jayco dealerships for the one trip in for warranty work I had perfomed.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
We will simply have to agree to disagree. It'd take me an hour to counter each of your points. I have friends who were in the business for 30 years before selling; we had numerous conversations about this.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #24

Agreed
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
You and I are in the same camp. Here's my experience:
I bought a 5th wheel from a dealer located 6 hours from our house but recently had some warranty work done by a local Jayco RV dealer. The local dealer was more than happy to perform warranty work for us and had it back to us in a reasonable time frame. The invoice he submitted to Jayco had the hourly labor rate of $105 and the material prices didn't seem to be discounted. Granted, he will have to wait to get the money from Jayco but it's still income and money is dirt cheap right now.
So, my conclusion is that there is no advantage to buying from a local dealer (assuming the purchase price is not fair). However, the local dealer that serviced my Jayco will get all of my service work until the day I quit RVing. Who knows, I just might purchase my next RV from him. Seems like smart business to me

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
That's an interesting response from Jayco. The way I read it, they would prefer you to buy from a local dealer than RVD.
Regional manager or not he works for Jayco and he is basically saying he would not buy from RVD, who in fact is one of Jayco's largest sellers. Seems like a very puzzling response.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #27

We bought from RV Direct in Orlando, got one of their email ads with the exact unit in stock we were looking for.

Got a great price from them and since we fulltime and travel all over the eastern part of the USA, warranty was not a big concern as we would probably not be in the Orlando area if we needed warranty work.

We have had a couple of minor warranty issues done at other Jayco dealers on the road, never had a problem with getting approval or repairs.

Their delivery and PDI was very good and if the opportunity presented itself again in the future, we would buy from them again.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #28

I used the RV Direct price as a bargaining tool with my local dealer and was able to get them to drop the price to be comparable. I agree that I would prefer to work with someone that is local as well.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
We bought from RV Direct in Orlando, got one of their email ads with the exact unit in stock we were looking for.

Got a great price from them and since we fulltime and travel all over the eastern part of the USA, warranty was not a big concern as we would probably not be in the Orlando area if we needed warranty work.

We have had a couple of minor warranty issues done at other Jayco dealers on the road, never had a problem with getting approval or repairs.

Their delivery and PDI was very good and if the opportunity presented itself again in the future, we would buy from them again.
Also our closest Jayco dealer was 100 miles Northwest from our Homebase, RVD Orlando was 250 miles South from our Homebase

The price I got from RVD was much better than any other dealer was able to do for a similar product / model.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote