Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Smile Sooo, what are you sayin'?

Originally Posted by SWEET74 View Post
If you can't remove a battery and re-install it without hooking up the wires correctly, you probably should not be doing it.
Sooo, are you saying that anyone who makes a legitimate mistake, i.e., attaching a black-coded cable to a negative battery post and a red-coded cable to a positive battery post--is stupid? If so, I heartily disagree. In this case the mistake was understandable (automobile batteries are ALWAYS connected this way) but even if it were not that is no reason to argue that someone who makes a mistake "probably shouldn't be doing it." Learning from our mistakes is a primary way for humans to learn; when they already know how to do something correctly they are not learning but are repeating something they already know. Heaven help us if people stop trying new things because they don't already know to do it or they are afraid of failing. Mary Kay Ash of Mary Kay Cosmetics was fond of saying, "There is nothing wrong with failure so long as you fail forward".

For those of us who store our travel trailers in commercial storage facilities it is prudent to completely remove the battery from the tongue of the trailer during storage. This not only prevents the possible theft of the battery, it also provides an opportunity for the battery to be placed on a trickle charger so that it will be fully charged the next time the trailer is used.

Emeritus Member of Jayco Owners' Forum
Texas Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
I would agree its confusing, but not wrong of Jayco to do, and certainly not something that needs reporting to anyone.

I immediately replaced my batteries on the first day I had the TT with new triton T 105 batteries.

I simply looked to see where both wires were going to determine which was ground and which was positive.

While I dont have my TT outside to go check, if memory serves me correctly the white is immediately grounded to the frame and the other wire runs into a junction box.

The white had to be ground.

I wouldn't say someone with limited experience should NOT be doing their own service, however I would say, be prepared to accept your mistakes if you do your own service.

vesteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
If the battery is hooked up backwards, the lights will work fine, but the heater blower, exhaust fans, and water pump will all run backward .... If they don't blow the fuse first ...
Bill and Kate
Stone Harbor, NJ
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 29N (Salty Dog House)
2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E350 Van 6.0 TD (Moby)
Reese Pro Series SC Hitch
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
Another way to tell is the positive side has the fuse , Kippeer

kipper is offline   Reply With Quote