Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Safety and Security

A member recently told the group his spare tire was stolen off his rig while they were sleeping inside parked in a RV park.

As newbies we're quite interested in your observations and recommendations to keep safe and secure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #2

I have a cable lock behind mine. I also use it to lock up bikes while we're camping

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #3

.45 ACP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
Old 04-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #4

farnik78
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
Old 04-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
.45 ACP

Are you joking or do you carry a weapon?

Old 04-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
Are you joking or do you carry a weapon?

No I'm not joking. Who in their right mind wouldn't?

6 Speed Manual
Old 04-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

Thanks, our thought as well, but are worried about the consequences if discovered. Hopefully, more members will join the discussion.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks, our thought as well, but are worried about the consequences if discovered. Hopefully, more members will join the discussion.

Just steer clear of left wing moonbat states and you are fine. However that will be tough since your location is in the middle of left wing extremists. They only want criminals to be able to defend themselves.

Vermont has common sense when it comes to self defense but none of the other eastern states do.

6 Speed Manual
Old 04-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #9

Word to the wise, a lot of us are 2nd amendment supporters ( I totally am ) but the mods will shut this thread down if you guys start talking about firearms. (ask me how I know). Or if this gets political at all. This makes perfect sense because people that like to go camping, and do what we all do, run the full spectrum when it comes to these things. Some of my best friends think I'm an evil man because I get the NRA magazine every month. Say no more

Anyway, when camping, we have our large dog, situational awareness, and training to deal with any on-site threats... real or imagined. My wife and I have our CCW permits, and we are legal in that regard everywhere we travel. If I'm *that worried* about where I'm camping, I didn't pick a good place to take my family. That said, stuff happens, somtimes you end up in an unfamiliar walmart parking lot off the interstate and it's hard to go to sleep. I tend to be prepared for it - for both 2 and 4 legged varieties.

When we are away from our camper, we have insurance. We lock things up but we don't worry about it.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #10

Thanks.. great feedback.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
Just steer clear of left wing moonbat states and you are fine. However that will be tough since your location is in the middle of left wing extremists. They only want criminals to be able to defend themselves.

Vermont has common sense when it comes to self defense but none of the other eastern states do.

Oh my G**, you've outed me.. never have been called a "left wing extremist", just flag waving, liberals. Retired Colonel in Air Guard, we're very secure with our identity as Americans.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Oh my G**, you've outed me.. never have been called a "left wing extremist", just flag waving, liberals. Retired Colonel in Air Guard, we're very secure with our identity as Americans.

I wasn't talking about you specifically but the east coast states are clearly pro criminal when it comes to our civil liberties.

6 Speed Manual
Old 04-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #13

I have work Kamped for 4 years....only "crime" we had reported was on wheel levelers that were left behind and when we got the call the next day they were gone..not exactly the crime of the century. In one campground we had permanent (all summer) campers with lots of toys left out and not a single piece of wood was taken.. The vast majority of campers are honest law abiding people...we, as camp ground employees always knew who belonged and who didn't. I'm not saying a criminal will not ever hit a campground but if everyone is aware of their surroundings, it's not a major issue.. Of course we all have to our part and put personal items away, out of sight or secured. I would also add, the vast majority of the campers I spoke to were all supporters of the 2nd amendment...but my experiences were all in the western states...

Old 04-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #14

Thank you for your input! Can we all hope your observations bear truth throughout America..

Old 04-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #15

What I appreciate so much about this community is that experiences are shared so the rest of us can learn from them....good or bad. Once I get our TT on our driveway, I want to devote time to secure our propane tanks and our battery. Sadly, campers are resourceful people who carry tools such as bolt cutters, etc. I am very thankful that we primarily camp at private campgrounds that we are familiar with, so thefts there aren't a huge concern, I am more concerned with theft while our TT is in storage. Please adding thoughts on how to minimize thefts, I am eager to learn how to improve.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
Old 04-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #16

Yes, great community and sharing. Thanks for yours.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #17

Something I try to keep in mind is the more physical security related features you add to your things, the more 'visible' your things become as far as targets are concerned. I still believe a good dog or 2 is the best security system money can buy.

Not suggesting we all leave our doors unlocked, but on the other end, when I installed my camera system on my house, most of my neighbors noticed and a few of them asked me about the system, and why I installed it. Pros and cons to beefing up your security foot print. Now the world knows I have stuff worth stealing, whereas before it was just an assumption that I might. Hearing my dog might be enough to deter a junior level thief. Seeing the camera system, and hearing the dog tells the professional that there's something worth pursuing.

So my level of security increased right along with the visibility that makes me more likely to be targeted by a pro. I guess we all have to decide what makes sense. It doesn't matter how many guns / etc you have at your house / camper if they hit you when you aren't there. A good insurance policy fills in those blanks for us.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #18

For the most part you need to do things that takes time to figure out and the best solution is getting those things out of sight...

i.e My 2KW Honda generator is secured to the inside of my locked and covered truck bed... My truck bed has the hard plastic FOLD-A-COVER folding tops and all is locked down.. Is it total secures - not really but it being out sight carries alot of weight here...

If you have things in plain sight then of course they are going to be looked at real close to be removed in a hurry by the thieves...

I also have motion detector lights that come on under my setup canopy when in camping mode. Some say you are just giving the thieves more light to do there thing but I think it helps keep them at bay...

All of our important things are kept in our locked truck. Everything inside the trailer can be replaced by insurance.

Just be super aware of your surroundings is a good idea as well...

We have extended range wasp spray and a big ax handle just inside the door... I also carry since my trailer is my second home in the eyes of the law...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
Old 04-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #19

Motion detectors! Great idea, as is the LD wasp spray. Thanks

Old 04-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Something I try to keep in mind is the more physical security related features you add to your things, the more 'visible' your things become as far as targets are concerned. I still believe a good dog or 2 is the best security system money can buy.

Not suggesting we all leave our doors unlocked, but on the other end, when I installed my camera system on my house, most of my neighbors noticed and a few of them asked me about the system, and why I installed it. Pros and cons to beefing up your security foot print. Now the world knows I have stuff worth stealing, whereas before it was just an assumption that I might. Hearing my dog might be enough to deter a junior level thief. Seeing the camera system, and hearing the dog tells the professional that there's something worth pursuing.

So my level of security increased right along with the visibility that makes me more likely to be targeted by a pro. I guess we all have to decide what makes sense. It doesn't matter how many guns / etc you have at your house / camper if they hit you when you aren't there. A good insurance policy fills in those blanks for us.
Great ideas bansai. Our female Golden Retriever has a ferocious bark, but her face -to-face response might be to introduce herself as a new friend. This is Caramia.

Closed Thread