Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Satellite dish tripod

We're getting our satellite equipment installed/set up next week. They know it's for a camper and not a home. I'm assuming I need to have a tripod for them to complete the installation. Please recommend which one I should order.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

We have a Winegard Pathfinder x2 for our trailer. We had a triPod but we thought that it was to much of a pain to set up.Just put it out, hook up cable and turn on tv and within 10-15 minutes tv is up and running.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #3

At our seasonal site, I had Dish mount ours on a pole that was set in concrete. It's a lot more solid than a tripod, however, you will need to tell them a day or so before the installer arrives.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

I store the trailer in a place that has no power. So the day of installation I'm bringing it to my shop for them to set up. Once they're done with the installation I'm putting it all away. I don't have a permanent spot so concrete isn't something I want to carry. The winguard looks great but I want to use the free equipment they give you. Later on I might go that route. So I'm looking to see what others are using to support the service supplied equipment
Old 11-11-2016, 05:53 AM   #5

Most of the "supplied" tripods I have seen are limited in their ability for adjustments after setting and/or have limited ability for setting on uneven ground. I have used the Heavy-Duty Tripod for RV TV satellite dishes for over 6 years and it is superb. I recommend the "kit" that this company provides as it has a mount that attaches to the dish that has azimuth marking on it that line up with markings on the tripod. Once you set the tripod with the provided compass you just attach the dish and a lot of the time I have a signal immediately. The initial signal might require a little tweaking for a max signal, but this is a simple process after you do it a time or two.

Another advantage of this particular tripod is availability of spare parts. A couple of years ago I had a camper's tent blow down in a wind situation and hit my tripod. It broke or bent several of the parts. I ordered these needed replacement parts from tv4rv.com also and had the parts in a couple of days. They had the parts in stock.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Most of the "supplied" tripods I have seen are limited in their ability for adjustments after setting and/or have limited ability for setting on uneven ground. I have used the Heavy-Duty Tripod for RV TV satellite dishes for over 6 years and it is superb. I recommend the "kit" that this company provides as it has a mount that attaches to the dish that has azimuth marking on it that line up with markings on the tripod. Once you set the tripod with the provided compass you just attach the dish and a lot of the time I have a signal immediately. The initial signal might require a little tweaking for a max signal, but this is a simple process after you do it a time or two.

Another advantage of this particular tripod is availability of spare parts. A couple of years ago I had a camper's tent blow down in a wind situation and hit my tripod. It broke or bent several of the parts. I ordered these needed replacement parts from tv4rv.com also and had the parts in a couple of days. They had the parts in stock.
+1 on this setup. And if TV4RV doesn't have the spare parts for the tripod, Bosch does. Home Depot even sells the same tripod under the Bosch name, however you still would need the mounting adapter and that is exclusive to TV4RV as far as I know. Bosch 42 in.-65 in. Aluminum Heavy Duty Quick Clamp Laser Level Tripod-BT170 - The Home Depot
Old 11-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #7

This is the one I use.

Winegard Multi-Satellite Heavy Duty Tripod Mount RV Camper - $74...

The main thing you want is a WIDE footprint. You don't want the wind to tip it over.

For aligning your dish this is the cats meow.

https://www.amazon.com/Align-A-Site-.../dp/B001FCCG0O

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

So I could use a transit tripod for the dish? Will the threaded post thread into the dish?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1372 View Post
So I could use a transit tripod for the dish? Will the threaded post thread into the dish?
Not sure what your referring to when you say "transit" tripod. It should be a fairly heavy duty one that is also adjustable to allow for uneven surfaces. The most critical part of setting up a tripod mounted dish (especially if you want to access more than one sat), is to ensure the mast/pipe the dish mounts to is as plumb/level as possible.

The dish (either DirecTV or Dish) needs to be mounted on a tube/pipe. The one that comes with the heavy duty tripod mount referred to earlier looks like this:

Replacement Mast for Heavy-Duty Tripod for RV TV satellite dish

The screw on the tripod would be screwed into the bottom of this piece, then the dish is tightened down against it. So as long as the tripod has a standard type knob/screw that would go into say a laser, camera, etc., this mast should work.

HTH
Old 11-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

I have this tripod just sitting around. It was for a transit or laser level. The brass threaded bolt I was referring to is on top. This is similar to the Bosch tripod. I think
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #11

Sorry, I misunderstood. Thought you were setting up at a permanent site..
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #12

Quote:
I have this tripod just sitting around. It was for a transit or laser level. The brass threaded bolt I was referring to is on top. This is similar to the Bosch tripod. I think
Sure looks like it is the same as the one that I use and that is sold on TV4RV.com. From what I have seen, the same tripod is sold under different names and at different price points, but is really the same thing. The one I bought from TV4RV.com is the exact same one under the Bosch name brand that they sell at Home Depot for less than 50.00.

The part I posted the link to earlier would be what you need to mount the dish to that tripod. That part screws into your tripod, creating a post that the dish could then be mounted on. And if your threaded bolt also has an eye loop on the bottom like the one I bought from TV4RV.com, then you could anchor it down with a dog screw stake and a ratchet strap.

Like a previous poster mentioned though, you want to adjust the legs into a wide stance to get a solid setup.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

So I had the tech here today. I used the Berger tripod I had. It's only a temporary solution to get the service set up. I need to fine tune it so its more secure.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Two things I need to do. The 2" pole they provide needs to be secured in the top of the tripod better. I was thinking of drilling and threading three holes in the top and screw in 1/4-20 bolts to tighten the pole. The other thing is a more secure base for the pole. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Not sure what your referring to when you say "transit" tripod. It should be a fairly heavy duty one that is also adjustable to allow for uneven surfaces. The most critical part of setting up a tripod mounted dish (especially if you want to access more than one sat), is to ensure the mast/pipe the dish mounts to is as plumb/level as possible.

The dish (either DirecTV or Dish) needs to be mounted on a tube/pipe. The one that comes with the heavy duty tripod mount referred to earlier looks like this:

Replacement Mast for Heavy-Duty Tripod for RV TV satellite dish

The screw on the tripod would be screwed into the bottom of this piece, then the dish is tightened down against it. So as long as the tripod has a standard type knob/screw that would go into say a laser, camera, etc., this mast should work.

HTH
Thanks for the link. Will this thread into the threaded fitting on the tripod?

Edit: Just saw you answered that in a prior post. I like this. Any concerns with it being top heavy?
Old 11-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Will this thread into the threaded fitting on the tripod?

Edit: Just saw you answered that in a prior post. I like this. Any concerns with it being top heavy?
Just make sure to spread the legs out a ways to make a solid base. I would say at least 30 degrees or more. Then I use a ratchet strap with hooks on each end and screw in dog stake to anchor it down.

Setting up on a hard surface may be more problematic since you can't sink the leg spikes into the ground but a concrete brick, 5 gallon bucket filled with sand, etc. would suffice. I also used this part from TV4RV.com to keep the legs in place when setup on hard surfaces.

Leg Restraint Kit for Heavy-Duty Tripod

As for it being top heavy, when tied down with the ratchet strap and dog stake, my setup withstood 50+ mile wind gusts last winter in Florida during some severe thunderstorms.

HTH,

J
Old 11-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Bluejay every time you post I find myself adding an item to my cart.😂

On another note. I'm looking into meters to locate satellites. Last night I relocated my dish to see if I could lock in without a meter. I used the compass on the iPhone for the degrees and the level on the iPhone for the asthmus. (Poor mans meter) I had taken screen shots of both before I moved the dish. I expected it to take quite a while. I got lucky first shot. Less than 3 minutes. Still going to look into a meter though.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Bluejay every time you post I find myself adding an item to my cart.��
Sorry bout that!!!

Quote:
On another note. I'm looking into meters to locate satellites. Last night I relocated my dish to see if I could lock in without a meter. I used the compass on the iPhone for the degrees and the level on the iPhone for the asthmus. (Poor mans meter) I had taken screen shots of both before I moved the dish. I expected it to take quite a while. I got lucky first shot. Less than 3 minutes. Still going to look into a meter though.
See, it's just as much your fault as it is mine!!! Your tempting me to post another link to a meter!

But let me just say that I use a small combination of "tools" to align my dish without spending hundreds on a high end signal meter.

I have one of the little 10 dollar meters that I use in conjunction with two apps. The first is called Satellite Dish Pointer that uses the camera on your smartphone and the internal phone compass to display icons of the satellite locations above you. I also use another app called Satellite Director that not only points you in the correct direction, but has an audible tone to tell you when your pointing in the right direction. That gives me a really good starting point to acquire the sat I want (in my case with DirecTV, sat 101).

Then I just tweak my alignment (elevation, azimuth) from there to get the strongest signals on 101 I can get using the signal strength screen on the TV. Then, I tweak the tilt to get the other two (99 and 103) sats. Just make sure your tripod is anchored down really well and try not to torque the dish too much when moving/tweaking. I have, more than once while tweaking the alignment, moved the tripod and had to start all over.

I have considered purchasing one of the high end meters, but I have had really good success with the way I am already doing it and just can't justify dropping a couple hundred or more for something I use occasionally.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #19

Hi Gman1372, Where did you find a tech or who did you call? Our RV is hooked up for Winegard, and we ordered a Winegard Tripod set-up, but neither Winegard or Directtv will send out a tech?

I think if the husband doesnt get the Tripod hooked up before game time, it wont be a good day! Any advice would be great! We ordered the multi switch in addition because DTV and Winegard said we need that to use our existing Genie receivers. Thanks!
360Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

I just called dtv and specified the installation was for a camper. Had to say it ten times throughout the hour and fifteen minute conversation. When the tech showed up I showed him what he had to work with and we made it work. He made some suggestions and I also showed him some of the links guys here posted.

On another note. I ordered the replacement mast for the tripod, leg restraint kit, and the foldable LNB arm to make it smaller to stow. I'm probably going to paint the orange fittings black or silver so it looks better