Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #1

Screen Room

I am looking for the elusive screen room to set up at a campsite. Camping in AZ gets HOT and sometimes not any shade nearby. Anyone use a screen room? I am looking for one larger than 10' x 10' as we have guests also. Needs to have flaps that come down, in case of wind or rain on a couple of sides.
Any help would be great.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #2

We had an Add-A-Room LTD with snapless side panels that we used on our last 2 campers. Unfortunately, we needed to sell it because it was too short for the larger 5th wheel. We would use the screen room if we were staying for 3 nights or more. One option which I don't see any longer is a hard door. I had purchased a hard door which opened like a regular household screen door making the screen room very easy to enter and exit (no bending to zip or unzip).

We now have a Coleman stand alone screen room. While it works nice, it doesn't have the privacy panels, but it would be easy to add some sort of shading I am sure. Ours doesn't have a floor which does allow insects who live in the ground during the day to be in the room at night. I would highly recommend bringing along a tarp of some sort to minimize this.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #3

nylyon,

when you had that Add-A-Room set up, would it handle the winds alright? I would be worried about having to take it down every time the wind picked up.

Otherwise, those things look like the cat's behind; I would love to have something like that up here, where mosquitos have been known to carry off small children.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #4

Do you camp where such covers are allowed? Only in AZ on BLM land have we seen such covers- All commercial campgrounds we frequent have restrictions to protect their grass- We do have a ground cover that breathes which we are sometimes allowed to use- JMHO- DD
Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #5

I have the screen rm which slides on a track on my awning and I will just say they are a pain in the butt!!! It is a two person job and I was alone in AZ so had to rely on passerby's to set this thing up and every few days I had to take it down due to the continuing wind and a couple of times during the night when the wind came up. I eventually put it away and unless I am in an area with a wind break it won't get used again.

I hope we are talking about the same thing as I was told mine was a AZ room.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckowner View Post
nylyon,

when you had that Add-A-Room set up, would it handle the winds alright? I would be worried about having to take it down every time the wind picked up.
We never had an issue. The snapless side panels have a support that goes from the RV to the awning tube. The hard door that we had anchored the tube to the ground and the screen room itself ties everything in pretty tightly. Now, I haven't had it in a hurricane, but there was absolutely no issues with rain, wind and such. Note, it was used with a manual awning.

Honestly, after a while of setting it up and taking it down, it really isn't all that bad. Beer in hand, it takes only about 10 minutes once you get the hang of it. I am on the taller end and had no problems feeding the front panel through the awning tube slot.

In my opinion, definitely worth the money and trouble. Guess I should start to look at getting a new one for the 5er.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #7

Our experience with our attached screen room..
Time required to put up ..15 minutes
Time enjoyed.. 2 week stay at campground
Time required to take down.. 15 minutes
Time required to wash off all the tree sap and the mud that splashed up during the rain.. 4 1/2 hours!

I loved having it up,but it was tons of work to clean it, so we decided that with this new trailer we would buy a large free standing unit with roll up flaps. I was able to get one here in Canada at canadian tire for around $100. I like the fact that I can retract my awning if it gets too windy without having to take down an attached screen room.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
Our experience with our attached screen room..
Time required to put up ..15 minutes
Time enjoyed.. 2 week stay at campground
Time required to take down.. 15 minutes
Time required to wash off all the tree sap and the mud that splashed up during the rain.. 4 1/2 hours!

I loved having it up,but it was tons of work to clean it, so we decided that with this new trailer we would buy a large free standing unit with roll up flaps. I was able to get one here in Canada at canadian tire for around $100. I like the fact that I can retract my awning if it gets too windy without having to take down an attached screen room.
Actually, that is what I am looking for.....a free standing unit with roll up flaps.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

I use a carefree screen room on a seasonal site for over 5 years. The room was up from May to Sept. Never had an issue.
bowlboundgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

http://www.camptents.com/SpecPages/S...enHouse682.htm

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #11

For some reason there are hardly any available this year that have rain flaps.. but the American Walmart does get them, and some camping supply stores will have them.. it actually took me a couple of weeks of looking till I found one with flaps here in Canada that was a reasonable price.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #12

Most of the awning vendors that cruise the campgrounds can fix you up with a screen room with canvas window panels. They will take a lot of wind and still stand if put up properly.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #13

Check out Eureka (the tent maker) and see if thet are still making free standing screen rooms. They used to have 2 different sizes, and you could purchase a "Storm Shield" separately. The storm shield completely covers two sides and fits on the frame. Because it's fitted, it does a good job. The frame is corded which makes for easy assembly and break down.

Mine is at least 20 years old, has been used continually, and it's still in great shape. So, needless to say, if I ever need another one, I'm going to see what they have to offer.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote