Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Seasonal Site Winter Storage Problem

Hello gang,

It's been a while since we've posted here. Here's our delima. Our 308 RETS sits on a seasonal site. We spent a ton of time early summer building up cement blocks (double walled) to make sure our TT is level. The scissor jacks barely had to come down. The TT barely wiggles when someone walks aroung inside. We winterized her, put the custom cover on it and called it a season.

We checked in on her this past weekend to find the door was open under the cover. Tried closing the door and she would not latch or stay closed even with the dead bolt.

Upon further inspection we found the tongue jack raised about 5". The blocks it was sitting sunk into the ground maybe an inch or so. The back of the TT does not look like it's sagging, so I first ask myself did someone mess with my tongue jack. The owners of the Campground are wonderful people, live on site and pay particular attention to all that goes on. So I'm ruling out this theory.

I'm thinking the door won't close because the TT is twisted on the blocks. With that said, if I release the pressure off of the blocks, will the TT straighten itself up enough for the door to latch properly. Looking at the door, it's not crooked in the frame, only at the latch area it appears to be a little to far from the striker.

I messed with the door striker and was able to latch the door and engage the dead bolt. A tempory fix.

Do I have a serious problem on my hads or a simple re-level will get everything back into play.

As always, thanks for any advice this great group give.s
John & Jaine

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

IMO your going to have to put the TT weight back on it's axles and tongue jack to confirm if you have any issues. Close the slides before you start removing any blocks.

It sounds like winter ground frost heaving and/or ground settling took place, which can happen without the use of in-ground footings or a good level concrete pad when using concrete blocks for year round leveling.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

5” of frosh heave sounds like a lot of ground movement. But depending o the soil conditions and overall weather it could happen. These units are designed to flex. I do not expect you will see any long term effects from the heave. Once you get her leveled back out, everything should line up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #4

Rustic Eagle & Jaygiven,

That's what I was thinking, get the TT back on the axles and re-level! 5" does sound like a lot. The TT is in North West Pa and we've had quite a winter this year. The snow and frigid temps haven't quit since Thanksgiving. FYI.. The Slides have been in since we closed her up in October!

I'm thinking about running back up this weekend and taking the unit of the blocks and full weight back on the Axles before we open back up on May 1st. I just have some of the load off the springs, but not all of it (wheels still touching the planks on ground).

Here's another question. Maybe moving forward (winger storage) I should let the TT rest on the Axles and not the blocks. Less chance for shifting of the TT. What's your thoughts.

Thanks again!

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 03-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308rets View Post
snip..... Maybe moving forward (winger storage) I should let the TT rest on the Axles and not the blocks....
Might be a hassle, but that's what I would do based on your recent observations.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #6

In the owners manual it states to only leave parked for winter with the jack down and on the tires. It says to not use the stabilizers for long-term storage.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
In the owners manual it states to only leave parked for winter with the jack down and on the tires. It says to not use the stabilizers for long-term storage.
I'm assuming "Jacks Down" means raised in the upright position?

The stabilizer jacks are used all summer (and winter) long since the TT is on a seasonal site. However, they are resting on cement blocks that I built up at each corner. The blocks are built high enough where the jacks only come down a few inches to meet the blocks.

Thanks for the info.

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 03-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I believe the "jack down" is referring to the tongue jack, and the corner stabilizer jacks up during winter storage.

I would leave the corner stabilizer jacks up during winter storage even on a seasonal site do to the potential of ground heaving/settling.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I believe the "jack down" is referring to the tongue jack, and the corner stabilizer jacks up during winter storage.

I would leave the corner stabilizer jacks up during winter storage even on a seasonal site do to the potential of ground heaving/settling.

Bob
Bob,

That makes a lot of sense!

I'll set the TT back on it's axles when the weather breaks and hope the door goes back into place..

Thanks everyone for you advice, it's greatly appreciated..

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #10

Yes, I meant tongue jack down, stabilizers up.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Yes, I meant tongue jack down, stabilizers up.
Great.. Thanks so much for the help.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the door will line back up once I release the stabilizers jacks. Tires are still on the ground, just some load lifted off the springs.

Thanks again everyone for all you advice.
John & Janine

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 03-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #12

The campground I am at (Danforth Bay, Freedom, NH) says this happens all the time. My TT is used all winter long, and I did put the stabilizers down. I'm wondering now if i should have been putting them up each time I left.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #13

I read somewhere (maybe here) that water is the only liquid that expands in its solid state (ie. freezes). My driveway raises 3" above my garage floor every winter. This year, my garage floor also raised 1/2". And if you've watched the news lately, it's full of stories about water and gas lines freezing and breaking, because the frost level is so deep this winter. It's just been a nasty, nasty winter. As for the stabilizers, owners' manual says they are for stabilizing, not supporting the weight of your trailer. I know on my old trailer, the door wouldn't close properly if I cranked the stabilizer beneath it a little too much. But it would function fine once I relieved some of the pressure on the stabilizer. I agree with Rustic Eagle and Jaygiven: These things are designed to flex - otherwise they'd break apart going down the road. I'm sure it will straighten out just fine once it's leveled on its tires and tongue jack. JMHO.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I read somewhere (maybe here) that water is the only liquid that expands in its solid state (ie. freezes). My driveway raises 3" above my garage floor every winter. This year, my garage floor also raised 1/2". And if you've watched the news lately, it's full of stories about water and gas lines freezing and breaking, because the frost level is so deep this winter. It's just been a nasty, nasty winter. As for the stabilizers, owners' manual says they are for stabilizing, not supporting the weight of your trailer. I know on my old trailer, the door wouldn't close properly if I cranked the stabilizer beneath it a little too much. But it would function fine once I relieved some of the pressure on the stabilizer. I agree with Rustic Eagle and Jaygiven: These things are designed to flex - otherwise they'd break apart going down the road. I'm sure it will straighten out just fine once it's leveled on its tires and tongue jack. JMHO.
Brownie,

You make some good points. I can assure you next winter my 308RETS will be sitting on the axle with tongue down (no stabilizer jacks). We're heading back up next weekend and I'm goint to drop here back down on the axles.

I'll let everyone know how I make out.

Thanks again everyone.

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 03-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #15

Well Gang, We went back to camp. Tongue down, stabilizer jacks up and the door closed, latch and locked perfect. Hopefully that's all she'll need.

We open up May 1st! As long as we have no slide issues I think we'll be good.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Happy Camping

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #16

That's a great sign that all will be well. Let us know about the slide once you get her opened up.