Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Second ac dilemma

If you have noticed my other threads, You know I'm in the process of installing a 2nd ac unit on my 31.5FBHS. I'm putting the unit in the bunk room which is above the hitch (if you don't know that) Kitty and my lodgic for selecting that location is: Cold air drops, thus will fall out of the bunk into the rest of the camper, plus, the bunk room is where the grandkids sleep. Last summer they were hot at night, and you know the story, If the kid don't sleep, no one sleeps.

I received the new ac unit Monday. Finally got time to pull the installation insturctions out and read them Tuesday evening. Instructions tells me not to install the unit nose down, but does not tell me why not to install it nose down from level. Yesterday I had to make a road trip to OKC and return. Along the way, I made a point to notice every camper I saw. Many, Many have the AC units installed "nose down".

Any thoughts?

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #2

Not sure what you are calling nose down, but it could have looked "un-level" from the angle you were looking. You will never see an AC installed any way but on a level travel trailer roof, or facing forward on the incline of a fiver roof. They can be angled up as much as 15 degrees(round end up). It has to do with the unit not having the compressor oil migrate from the compressor can.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

Bob, by nose down, I'm using terminology used in the intallation instructions, meaning the "round end" as you state. In my case, the nose (round end) will be below the level line. Or, pointed down along the down slope of the front of the roof of the rv.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

In case anyone is interested. I talked to the manufacture of Coleman RV AC units. (Airxcell) The "nose up/nose down" from level has nothing to do with the operation of the unit, i.e. freon, lubrication, etc. It has to do with condensation. The "weep holes" are at the rear of the unit. If it is installed "round end" "nose" down, that condensation will/or could make it's way to the inside of the RV at the ceiling.

Shorty
Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
In case anyone is interested. I talked to the manufacture of Coleman RV AC units. (Airxcell) The "nose up/nose down" from level has nothing to do with the operation of the unit, i.e. freon, lubrication, etc. It has to do with condensation. The "weep holes" are at the rear of the unit. If it is installed "round end" "nose" down, that condensation will/or could make it's way to the inside of the RV at the ceiling.
Good to know for those following your project. Thx for posting.

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote