Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #41

I put these on all of our storage compartments, ordered 8 of them all keyed alike. That way not every one in the campground has a key to my storage compartments.
Attached Thumbnails
mei-2400am_left_tilt_keys_1_1.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #42

good idea. That's my next step!
HItch pin - where did you purchase? How much?
kkitchener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #43

Has anyone install the combination style storage compartment locks like these?

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thodgson View Post
Has anyone install the combination style storage compartment locks like these?
I ordered my locks from padlocks 4 Less on the internet, the salesman said the ones like your asking about will ice up sometimes. I haven't had that to happen with the type I ordered.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #45

What size locks are you guys getting?
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkitchener View Post
good idea. That's my next step!
HItch pin - where did you purchase? How much?
They were on sale at the time, I paid around $6.00 each for them.

Here's the link.

Cam Locks, Cabinet Cam Locks, Metal Camlocks, Combination Cam Locks for Cabinets
Old 02-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treatcg View Post
What size locks are you guys getting?
It depends on how thick your door is.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #48

I have seen covers that are sold separately. I imagine you have to adjust the size/thickness you get to account for the part of the cover that fits between the lock and the hatch. Still on my todo list along with other upgrades I want to do.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
Old 02-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #49

Will the locks mentioned really offer any more security than the ones currently installed? I have the simple key type lock on my door that came with the camper. I'm thinking that no matter what type of lock I install, its only going to be as strong as the "base" it's installed in; meaning a good run at the door will bust down any locked door, no matter what kind of lock is used.

Correct?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Will the locks mentioned really offer any more security than the ones currently installed? I have the simple key type lock on my door that came with the camper. I'm thinking that no matter what type of lock I install, its only going to be as strong as the "base" it's installed in; meaning a good run at the door will bust down any locked door, no matter what kind of lock is used.

Correct?
My point exactly, the lock is only as strong as what's behind it. A thief will rarely go through the formality of using even a standard key. Their "keys" say Craftsman on them or are Harbor Freight crow bars (also both stolen) and brute force. I could open all the doors on my trailer with a large flat screw driver. All you got to do is get it open far enough to get your fingers or the tip of a crowbar in and it's over.

Remember what I said above, damage to the trailer is not a problem for a thief. Yeah, a key is a nice neat entry, but when you're a thief breaking into a camper, it doesn't need to be closed back up when you leave.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #51

Quote:

Correct?
If you have the standard CH751, then then you're like most other RV's, if that's the case, then most other RV owners also have the same key... therefore, you may be easy prey to someone who holds a key and doesn't share our same honest enthusiasm

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #52

If the subject is only about break-ins while you are away from your camper then a lock upgrade is not a bad idea. Situation has more to do with security than almost anything else. If you are parked in a manner that offers security to the thief a lock is not going to save you. I am considering a security system with a camera and some door and window stickers.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #53

Quote:

Correct?
If you have the 751 key, then just about every body and their brother has a key that will fit your locks.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #54

Hello,
I wasn't looking at them for more security as much as for not getting locked out of my bins if I forget or misplace my keys. I got the idea last year when camping and my neighbor there was showing off the locks he installed and said it was for that very reason.
But a touch more security is nice too.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
Old 02-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The image below from my pass through storage compartment may shed some light. The bed is above this compartment and the lift is assisted by gas shocks.
Not saying many would attempt to enter this way, but its a thought. Of course if I`m laying on that bed, they aint getting in..... The rear storage compartment is also below a bunk bed that raises up, so same possibility there.

Last spring we had to gain access to our HTT when we pulled it out of storage though the storage compartment. We had planned to pull it out of storage, while making a trip to my parents place. About 120 miles from our place. Called the guy up, a week or so before leaving. Told him when we wanted it, and he said, no can do, he still had 4+ feet of snow in front of the barn. We made the trip anyways, did not bring the keys as we were not picking up the HTT. He called us when we were about 20 miles from my parents, and said he spent the last week clearing a path to the barn, and we could pick it up this weekend. Hitch was inside the unit, and I have no keys. Luckily I have not changed out the hatch locks. We used one on my parent’s spare 751 keys. Opened the hatch, the DW pushed the top access panel open (we had a lot of stuff on top of it for the winter) and the kid crawled through and opened the door.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #56

I keep a set of keys in my TV all the time, just in case. Locks only keep honest people honest. At the camp gounds i have worked at I don't remember a single report of something being stolen out of a rig. It may happen, but I would suspect more when boondocking or at parks without active workers present, or when in unwatched storage.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #57

May I complement you on your storage organization, I feel inspired to add a couple of more mods to my list.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
Old 02-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
I put these on all of our storage compartments, ordered 8 of them all keyed alike. That way not every one in the campground has a key to my storage compartments.
The tubular cam locks are easier to get into the a regular keyed lock. I found this out accidentally while working on arcade games. I was complaining to another arcade guy about drilling them out and he looked at me puzzled and asked why I was drilling them? He showed me an old route guys trick, A bic pen. You just push the pen into the key hole and twist, they open right up. There are videos on youtube showing how easy these locks are to open. Like everyone else has said though if a person wants in a lock of any kind isn't gonna stop them
Tai95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #59

I installed tubular locks on the big storage doors - notwithstanding the shortcut mentioned above - it may not be as tempting a breach as the standard 751.............knock on wood. Now to test the shortcut......
Tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote