Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

security issues

what kinds of locks are available and what do you recommend. i'm not a scaredy cat but the lock on my RV seems to be flimsy and I feel a bit insecure. Advice please.
kkitchener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

Not sure what is available or what you have on your rig. I personally feel as safe in my rig as I do my home . Most homes that are broken in are by kicking in the door or breaking out a window . The way your door is made going out and usually a little higher off the ground makes it very difficult to kick in. One thing you can purchase is a alarm that will wake you or let you know if someone messes with your door at night . I have been traveling three to four months a year for six years and sometimes have pulled into Wally World late at night and only one time did I feel uncomfortable . It wasn't a super Walmart and wasn't open all night too late to find a campground. Most places we stop at we feel safe the others I keep a 45 as a last resort .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

I agree, the locks on the doors can be thick as steel, but a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and I believe an RV is no more secure than a house, and vice versa, being that the windows are the weak link.

My house has three deadbolts on the front door... kind of overkill I think when I have a large window just two feet away from the front door...

Insurance for my belongings, Ruger 357 for my family and I when I'm home...

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #4

380 with 13 rounds, hollow point, silver tipped and crosshairs cut to help,spread the love. Goes in one side tumbles around a little without going out the backside.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Site Team

And also consider many of the compartment locks have the universal 751 keys. If you get in the front compartment on my trailer and many others with a front bedroom, you just raise up the bed and you are in the trailer.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

I have a 1911 security system.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
And also consider many of the compartment locks have the universal 751 keys. If you get in the front compartment on my trailer and many others with a front bedroom, you just raise up the bed and you are in the trailer.
Raise the bed?!? Do you have any suggestions on fixing this situation? Is the bottom of the bed part of the underneath of the trailer? Kind of confused about this.

I was wondering about security as well. I'm not a gun owner nor do I ever plan to be, so that's not an option for me. How secure are those locks on the doors? And how are the windows latched against entry?

I remember years ago seeing an alarm that you could hang over your hotel door to let you know if anyone was trying to break in. I've thought about looking around for something like that for my upcoming rental trip.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Raise the bed?!? Do you have any suggestions on fixing this situation? Is the bottom of the bed part of the underneath of the trailer? Kind of confused about this.
...snip...
On many/most Travel Trailers, the front pass through storage is open to the storage area under the bed at the front. On those designs, the front bed pivots up, opening up a storage area. One of the first protects on my 'To Do' list when I get the trailer home, is to build a wall to separate those two areas.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:26 PM   #9

Found these while doing a google search for RV security systems:

http://www.safewise.com/blog/keep-rv-safe-theft/

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/25869054.cfm

Some Doberman alarm systems on Amazon that work on doors and windows.

Another system from Amazon that I didn't read the details about:
http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-SC-100.../dp/B0002YPFBS

Something on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorhome-RV.../360754153767#

And finally:

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/need-rv-security-system/

I like the tip about changing out the factory issued locks for something else.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #10

Here is an interesting War Story with some suggestions: http://www.rv-motorhome-answers.com/rv-security.html

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #11

Quote:

Yes definitely change out the universal 751 key locks on the storage compartments. I did this very early on.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:

I was wondering about security as well. I'm not a gun owner nor do I ever plan to be, so that's not an option for me. How secure are those locks on the doors? And how are the windows latched against entry?

I remember years ago seeing an alarm that you could hang over your hotel door to let you know if anyone was trying to break in. I've thought about looking around for something like that for my upcoming rental trip.
The image below from my pass through storage compartment may shed some light. The bed is above this compartment and the lift is assisted by gas shocks.
Not saying many would attempt to enter this way, but its a thought. Of course if I`m laying on that bed, they aint getting in..... The rear storage compartment is also below a bunk bed that raises up, so same possibility there.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #13

More great advice on this forum. Just checked our locks, and sure enough, 751. The doors with the slam latches do have a different key, but that's probably a standard one too. At least there is no access to the main cabin through there.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
The image below from my pass through storage compartment may shed some light. The bed is above this compartment and the lift is assisted by gas shocks.
Thanks for the photo, Crabman. Still confused, though. So, if you raise the bed, you're actually accessing the pass through storage area? I thought it would be a separate area for storage. Least it is on a friend's RV. When I was looking at RVs at a recent show none of them had storage where the bed lifted up, so I've not really looked at this very thoroughly.

But now it appears I don't want that feature!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the photo, Crabman. Still confused, though. So, if you raise the bed, you're actually accessing the pass through storage area? I thought it would be a separate area for storage. Least it is on a friend's RV. When I was looking at RVs at a recent show none of them had storage where the bed lifted up, so I've not really looked at this very thoroughly.

But now it appears I don't want that feature!
Yes, if you raise the bed you can look right down into the front pass through. There is also a storage area behind that one under the bed. Some units have no divider at all, so this is one large storage area. The divider on mine was unfinished, so I added foam block insulation then luan plywood then the accessory hangars. I also insulated under the bed. I would not keep this from buying a front bedroom though. Change out the locks and you are good to go. If they really want to get in, they are anyway. The locks are just for the honest thieves.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #16

My # 751 key is no longer used, I changed all the locks and now only have 1 key that fits everything. In the beginning I had no idea we all share the same key #751 then one day I went to the RV store and the sales men wanted to show me the outdoor kitchen but left his keys inside then asked if by chance I had my keys with me and I said yes he said " great lets use yours because most trailers have a 751 key for access.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #17

On my fiver the under-bed storage area cannot be accessed from the basement area. I was thinking about changing out the #751 storage locks but decided against it because the doors are rather flimsy and can be broken into pretty easily no matter what lock I have. The entrance door has two locks (neither one is a #751). One is a universal lock that all RV dealers have and the other one is specific to my RV. Now, I'm sure that there is someone out there who has the same lockset but it would be rare that they would want to access my RV. I think the key is to be smart about where you camp and be aware of your surroundings. Afterall, RVing is supposed to be fun .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #18

On my Trailer to use the front pass through to lift up the bed they would first have to unload the pass through to gain acess so not to woried about that. and I still have the 751 keys and a 9MM.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #19

On our previous Jayco 242, there was no access from the pass through storage to the bed. On our 5'er now there is also no access. So maybe not all of them are like that.
Also, good point on the flimsy doors. The LP door on our is nothing but a frame with fiberglass in it, and when open, is really flimsy, no insulation behind it or anything. Apparently it is supposed to be like that for a blow-out panel in case something happens to he LP tanks. Only my theory.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #20

Two dogs and a Browning 9mm
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote