Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

semi-de-winterize for a storm?

A couple of weeks ago I winterized my 5th. I use compressed air to blow out all the lines. I live in a rural suburban area where I have well water. I totally expect to lose power, and therefore water. So.....

What if I fill up my fresh water tank (about 90 gallons) and NOT turn on the water pump unless needed? I would think that to winterize again, I just drop the water assuming that I never turn on the water pump, and not have to worry about the lines. Of course if I need water, I will have to re-winterize again.

Thoughts?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

Makes sense to me.
Keep your head down, looks like a nasty storm building.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like a plan to me, I fill mine up not only for water but ballast during a storm.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

Hopefully I will be able to pick up a generator, then won't have to worry. But if I don't get one by Sunday, at least I know I have 90 gallons of "bottled" water available!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Site Team

Yeah the genny hooked up to the house well pump is a nice thing to have in an extended outage.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Yes all you would have to do is drain the freshwater tank. Good luck.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Site Team

If you have a genny, just run the pump with it and leave the water in the ground. Using the fresh water tank will be a plan but I hear it is going to be cold along with this storm so be aware of that.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #8

I was able to place an order for a Briggs & Stratton Elite Series™ 7000 Watt Portable Generator which should be arriving tomorrow. I don't have a transfer switch yet, so depending on how long the potential outage is, I'll have to make do with individual circuits. I didn't want to use the camper, but having a 90 gallon reserve of water sitting in the driveway is pretty alluring and sure beats getting buckets of pool water to flush the toilet!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
I was able to place an order for a Briggs & Stratton Elite Series™ 7000 Watt Portable Generator which should be arriving tomorrow. I don't have a transfer switch yet, so depending on how long the potential outage is, I'll have to make do with individual circuits. I didn't want to use the camper, but having a 90 gallon reserve of water sitting in the driveway is pretty alluring and sure beats getting buckets of pool water to flush the toilet!
If you are handy, you can make due without a transfer. For temp use, find a 220 breaker you wont be using. Wire your generator in there and shut off your main. Turn on just the circuits needed. My cousin, a long time electrician, did that to our house for the last years storm.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #10

[QUOTE=ChooChooMan74;102070]If you are handy, you can make due without a transfer. For temp use, find a 220 breaker you wont be using. Wire your generator in there and shut off your main. Turn on just the circuits needed. QUOTE]

That is called back feeding. Tried to find a picture on-line but no luck. Basically pull the breaker, remove the existing wires. Then install heavy gauge wire between the breaker and the generator. Then when you need the generator turn OFF the main and turn on the Generator breaker. NEVER have both circuits ON at the same time as you could damage your generator.

The only thing I really care to ensure I have power at is the furnace (boiler in my case). A number of years ago I opened the electrical junction box and rewired it. I installed an outlet on the junction box. Then took an old heavy duty extension cord, cut the female end off. I have the pig tail end of the cord in the box, connected to the furnace wires and the male end plugs into the outlet. This way when we lose power I simply unplug the furnace and plug it into my inverter on my deep cycle battery. Works for me. Technically around here that is not up to code, If I ever sell the house I will just change it back.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #11

Generator is due in tomorrow morning. Hate waiting, but what can I do? I was able to make a simple transfer switch (without back feeding the circuits). It will do until I can get the proper transfer switch in there. My main goal is to have water (well water) and my furnace which is also my hot water heater along with the fridge and a light here and there. The 7,000 watt generator should do fine as long as I don't try to use everything at once.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #12

Be careful wiring up a generator to your house this way can burn down your house if done wrong or kill a lineman working on lines that your generator is back feeding......Do it right have a transfer switch installed properly dont rig it up just cause it works.....
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #13

This is the beauty of using 12VDC compressed air for winterizing - it only takes 5 minutes for me to do mine. I have done this camping off the power grid over freezing nights and then back to normal the next day... I use the BLOW OUT plug at the city water inlet and blow out all lines - then add a little pink stuff to the P-TRAPS... Also drain the fresh water tank.

On the generator - I just use my 2KW Honda which sits in the tail gate corner of my truck 24/7 to hookup to my OFF-ROAD POPUP where it sits in my yard and re-charge my batteries. I can tap my on-board INVERTER and run a couple of extension cords into the house to run my fridge and and have drops at the home entertainment center and living room area. Gives us plenty of lights, fans. and home entertainment. Charges all of our cell phones and computers. I also have a big UPS unit running for my radio/computer room so this also keeps that charged up. Usually the cable TV and internet also goes out when power goes so I use the trailer OTA antenna for local HDTV. My generator will run about seven hours on one tank of gas. I made it five days running a few hours a day with my 5-gallons of gas on the last 8-day power outage we had. Then I had problem finding a gas station that had power to run their pumps.

We did just fine during the last big storm IRENE. Cooked meals from the patio Coleman Roadtrip - had the patio all lit up and sitting out at night watching HDTV. Mini block party everynight with neighbors coming over...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote