Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #1

Sewer set up question

Hi all,

We have just purchased a new TT and we are busy outfitting it for it's first use. Since one of my least favorite jobs is dealing with the sewer, no, make that my absolutely least favorite job, I thought I would take this opportunity to see what others are using and why. For instance, I see these kits with the stands to rest the hose on and have wondered if they work well or are a pain to use/maintain. I also see clear fittings, 90% fittings, etc. So, my question to all of you experienced dumpers is, what do u use?

PLM
AIM2PLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

PLM,

I have found the following items useful:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-support/5007

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ewer-kit/17529

If you don't have a black tank flush system installed on your TT, then the following item will work. If you do have a flush system, then just get the clear adapter without the water supply connection.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...dro-flush/2096

You may also want to consider getting a longer, higher quality sewer hose than the cheap one that comes with the TT.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #3

I don't really have any problem with the dumping. If you use good parts and do it right, you will stay nice and clean. Best thing is to just do it and not be scared

I may be a little overboard...but I have a clear straight connector with a valve which then goes to a Rhinoflex kit. I also have a Tank Tornado which really gets out the gunk. I flush my tanks really well when I am done and like to keep them clean.

I have a collapsable sewer support I got from WalMart, but honestly I hardly use it. Most places someone has already put several rocks nearby that work well. I have also used firewood as a good support. It was pretty cheap, but not sure I really need it.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #4

I like the clear elbo on the line so I can see what is happening. I also use a 90* to put into the sewer while set up for the winter. Either latex gloves or a good pair of rubber golves is a must have. For places with several camping sites and only one dump site a Blue Boy tote is a must have.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #5

I agree with the what has been said above. I just want to mention that you don't want to cross contaminate other systems in your RV. When setting up leave the sewer stuff to last and likewise when breaking camp. Alcohol wipes are a handy thing to have. An outside shower can be handy for washing your hands too. I keep the snake and sewer connections in a laundry soap pail with a lid. Let the black tank fill up before dumping it and when you do, send at least a half tank of gray water after it to clean out your hose. I keep both tanks very clean after each trip. I don't have trouble with the monitoring. Loads of info on these kinds of sites.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips guys. I saw the clear fittings at the RV store and wondered if they would be a good addition so I could see what was happening. I also saw the hose supports that Bob linked to, but wondered how effective they would be on uneven ground. The wipes are a great idea Richard, as well as the soap pail. Clutch I'm buying the latex gloves today. Terry the Tornado looks like a great idea, but I don't think I could bring myself to drill the tanks until the warranty expires, in the interim, how well do the wands that u insert into the toilet work? And I see two different styles of them. One has multiply holes around the end and the other has a 90% fittling that sprays in just one direction at a time. Is one better than the other at getting the job done?

Thanks again for the replies.
Pat
Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #7

Pat, I use the wand with the straight stick that doesn't rotate. I just turn it. I bought the tornado but haven't installed it yet. Some 5th wheels need a wand on an angle but with a trailer I think all you need is one with the spinning head. Get the clear sewar attachment where you you can back flush it with a hose. You will be surprised what what got left behind. Dragging a hose into your bathroom is a bit of work that I want to get away from. If your able to attach to a connection in the bathroom, that would help. in my old trailer I was able to do that. If your in a cold climate make sure you winterize.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #8

I bought the "Sewer Solution" and find it works nicely. There have been some complaints about durability so I take it easy when hooking up. There are also complaints that it's slow to empty but my tanks are pretty small so it's not a problem. It comes with a 10' length of hose but can be extended which I have done, so it now has a 20' reach. It has a clear connecter on the trailer end so you can see what's going on. I've kept the "starter" sewer hose that came with the trailer as a backup but it has a reach of a little less than 10' I've found. You can buy a box of 100 disposable latex gloves at HF for $5 or so which I use most of the time. If I need something heavier I also have a pair of heavy rubber gloves but haven't needed them yet. Haven't had need of a wand (yet) as the SS has a back-flush feature that seems to work pretty well. I also warn all users to let LOTS of water flow through the toilet. I've been looking for something to store it in but haven't found anything yet, so for now I store it in a garbage bag.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #9

On my last unit I used the flush king and wand. The wand works best, but when your on line waiting to dump in those type dry campgrounds with one or two dump stations having to stretch out the hose and go inside to flush it out is not always practical. The flush king gives you the clear elbow and a hose hookup right at the dump hose connection so you can back fill the tank with fresh H20 and then pull the gate valve to get another good flush. The wands are great if you are in a full hook up or have time to get in there and flush it.

Also make sure you can get into the tank as mentioned above. Most TT are straight into the tank due to location.

Rhino flex hose makes a great sewer hose with caps on both ends and a rotating 90* fitting that makes setup a breeze.

I just recently purchased the expandable supports due to my 5th's connection being so high off the ground. I've found that it helps keep the flow to the sewer connection steady without uphills you sometimes get from a high sewer connection. The rhino flex is expandable so you don't need to have it all snaked out if the run is short. Fits in my bumper for storage with no leaks due to the caps which also keeps it compact until you pop off one of the caps.

Another trick I used to do on busy days at the line was fill two 5 gallon pails ahead of time while waiting and with the dump valve open drop them in after the tank was emptied. This burst of water loosened up and pushed out the sediment very good.

We do a fair amount of dry camping and I found that treating right after a dump for the ride home helps with keeping the tanks from build up and odors in the summer months. Once I get to a full service location or on the way into a dry camp location I sometimes would give it a good flush before hand if I didn't get a good flush last trip.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #10

Richard, thanks for the tips. We purchased one of those clear plastic hoses that adapts to the faucet in the bathroom sink to power the wand. I hope it will eliminate the need to drag a hose into the TT. We are headed out this morning to buy the clear plastic 45 with the hose connection for the out side. After the warranty is over, I'm planning to do the Tank Tornado addition.
RedH,
Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to make a detour and stop by HF for those gloves. I thought about the heavier gloves, but it seems to make more sense to use the disposable one and get rid of the potential bacteria and other undesirable matter after each use.
3'senough,
I'll check out the Rhino hose this morning while I'm picking up so other items. We looked at sewer hoses yesterday and we were amazed at all the choices these days. The wife is determined that we are not going to scrimp on sewer stuff. Not that she deals with that job, but I guess she doesn't want to hear me whine about it...hahaha.
Pat
Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

This is why I let the wife do the cleaning....
justpassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM2PLM View Post
Richard, thanks for the tips. We purchased one of those clear plastic hoses that adapts to the faucet in the bathroom sink to power the wand.....snip
Pat,

I would avoid using your inside sink faucet as a connection point (water source) for the black tank wand, even with an intermediate hose. Good rule of thumb is to keep black tank tasks/products away from fresh water tasks/products whenever possible.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Pat,

I would avoid using your inside sink faucet as a connection point (water source) for the black tank wand, even with an intermediate hose. Good rule of thumb is to keep black tank tasks/products away from fresh water tasks/products whenever possible.

Bob
X2... plus IMO you won't get the pressure you will need from the sink.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #14

Okay, I think I'm set for the time being. I bought the Rhino hose kit, plus an extension hose, a hydro flush, rubber gloves, a clean out wand, military surplus gas mask, aluminum hard hat, and a biohazard suit. Ok, I'm kidding about the last three items. Oh yeah, and I have a plastic storage tub to store all of these goodies in. Is there anything I'm forgetting to get?

Thanks to all for ur help

Patrick
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Okay, I think I'm set for the time being. Is there anything I'm forgetting to get?

Patrick
Yes, you need to train your wife to do this after convincing her that it is woman's work! I have not achieved that yet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Yes, you need to train your wife to do this after convincing her that it is woman's work! I have not achieved that yet.
If I lived another hundred years, it wouldn't be long enough to convince her that it should be her job, but that's okay she certainly takes on plenty of other unpleasant task and I guess if I'm stuck with the sewer that's a pretty small chore in comparison...:-)
Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #17

Treatments. I always follow a dump and flush with a treatment with a little water to slosh around in there and ready for the next trip. Personally I think this greatly reduces build up and tank odors from becoming a problem.

I've been using the TST orange single doses with good results. Had some of the eco chemicals which did nothing for the odors.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Okay, I think I'm set for the time being. I bought the Rhino hose kit, plus an extension hose, a hydro flush, rubber gloves, a clean out wand, military surplus gas mask, aluminum hard hat, and a biohazard suit. Ok, I'm kidding about the last three items. Oh yeah, and I have a plastic storage tub to store all of these goodies in. Is there anything I'm forgetting to get?

Patrick

A butler to do it for you?:hihi:
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #19
Site Team

Always make sure you have several gallons of water sloshing around in your tanks when traveling. This will assure that anything on the inside will be loosened by the agitation.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #20

Plenty of great suggestions and help. thanks to all of you.

Pat