Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #1

Slide cover sag

Has anyone successfully added a couple of extra spring winds to their slide covers?

Ours sag badly and even the beach ball fix isn't working. The slightest rain fills them up and being on a seasonal site we don't bring the slides in all summer.

Any advice is appreciated.
Oh, and I have a tent... Somewhere around here....
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Has anyone successfully added a couple of extra spring winds to their slide covers?

Ours sag badly and even the beach ball fix isn't working. The slightest rain fills them up and being on a seasonal site we don't bring the slides in all summer.

Any advice is appreciated.
Does the front and back of the slide cover sag? We had some installed on our new trailer Thurs and the front cover, front end was sagging but not the back. They just unwound the whole thing and put it back on there straight. Looks fine now. He did adjust the spring somewhat but I am not familiar with what exactly he did. But he did mention factory specs on the tensioner. May want to bring to your RV dealer.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #3

I was at a campground a few weeks ago where I saw a gentleman put in an frame made with pvc pipes. He put it together, climbed a short ladder and slid it into the space. It even had a slight peak for runoff. Like a lot of things, don't want to forget it is there when you break camp.
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #4

I have tightened my slide covers in the past when they sagged. Jayco refused to do it, saying they are set at the factory and tightening them would mess up the slide as it goes out. I went ahead and tightened them up one turn and had no problems. It also took the sag out.

Even if the covers are tight, they will collect rain unless they are sloped enough. One thing to remember when trying to tighten the covers, the springs are under lots of tension and could break your arm or wrist if one should get away from you!! You MUST be extremely cautious when working with them.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
I have tightened my slide covers in the past when they sagged. Jayco refused to do it, saying they are set at the factory and tightening them would mess up the slide as it goes out. I went ahead and tightened them up one turn and had no problems. It also took the sag out.

Even if the covers are tight, they will collect rain unless they are sloped enough. One thing to remember when trying to tighten the covers, the springs are under lots of tension and could break your arm or wrist if one should get away from you!! You MUST be extremely cautious when working with them.

I think the above statement says it all ! We had a 05 Designer that was added at Camping World and they added the strip to the unit at a higher angle and in nine years we never had a issue with water or sagging . Purchased a 36REQS last fall didn't come with the slide covers so I purchased them and the wife and I installed them ( all four slides) installation called out to unwind one revolution then slide in . I wanted them to be tighter so they are one rev tighter . Not sure if it helped or not they are all good except the large living room slide it collects water . As stated above I also think the steeper angle is the key . I couldn't do this because the slides had the solid covers and would create a lot of pressure in the closed position and would be prone to tearing the fabric. A flex cover or no cover at all mounted at a higher angle to the unit IMO would be the best solution without putting something under the cover .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #6

Have to ask...what is the "beach ball fix"?

2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Crew Cab/ Short Box
Little Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #7

Buy cheap plastic beach balls from the dollar store and place between the slide and cover works just need a ladder and make sure you don't forget them
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote