Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

Slide Question?

Do the slides use a "limit switch"to stop travel (it doesnt seem to) or just an adjustment screw at the ends of the track?
I am having a problem retracting one slide and all I have todo is give it a gentle push and sounds like the gears begin meshing and rolls in fine.Its in warranty but if its a simple adjustment just trying to avoid a long sit at the dealer.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Team

What make/model rig do you have?

My BR slide shuts off when out or in. The other 2 are supposed to shut off but IMO they go out and in to far before shutting off. We just watch and shut the motor off as soon as it starts to strain.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

I'm interested in this as this is my first trailer with a slide. On mine - when it reaches its limits it makes a "clicking" noise and stops moving. We have little to no indication that it is at its limits before the clicking starts.

I could record the sound and post - but have just assumed that when you hear the noise, stop pressing the button I've advised the DW to stop pressing the button "as soon as humanly possible" when the clicking starts.

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #4

Well on ours, 308RETS, all slides when fully extended will start "clicking" which I believe is a ratcheting of the mechanism. We were told to shut off the switch once this happens. I've gotten it down where it's only ratcheting once and I think will get it down to where I can tell when it's all the way in or out soon, the more experience I gain w/ it.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #5

Clicking Noise

The clicking noise that you hear is a slide out relay located under the unit. The slide switch located in the trailer activates the relay. It's there to keep from drawing heavy current through the switch when running the slide in or out. Mine has no travel limit switches, just a "seat of the pants switch" that tells you when the slide is in or out.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #6

According to what I have read, mine will stop moving if it hits something. That's not the plan, but when mine gets to the full out position, it will retract itself just a little. Same when coming back in again. I really like the way it works except for the creaking and popping sounds I hear when it's moving. When I had the dealers tech look at it he wrote on the work order that " for a Jayco that's normal". Wonder what Jayco thought of that when they were paying the bill? I think he definitely missed something. I had the same tech work on my awning. I was not able to adjust one end of the arms. I am suppose to be able to adjust it in one of six slots. He wrote that if I tried to adjust it it would bend the frame. Wonder how this guy got hired. Taking it to another jayco dealer.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #7

1x on what Murph said. It was explained during my walk thru that the clicking is a "clutch" mechanism. I bump the switch in the opposite direction when opening or closing after it reaches its limit. (this was a suggestion by our walk-thru guy)
I also like to give a manual push in/out to snug it up a bit after opening or closing.
My awning adjustment is a bit stiff. An earlier post suggests extending 2-3 feet before adjusting, seems to help. I've also lubed it with a silicone spray that also seems to help it some.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote