Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #1

Slide Toppers

Considering adding toppers to our rig as, it is has rained or is raining, we get a lot of water inside when we retract the off-door slide. It felt like we were cleaning up a puddle of water every time we were out last year. Dealer has checked the slide and wiper seals and everything is as it should be.

My question is, would toppers prevent water getting onto the slide roof? I thought they acted like mini-awnings and would keep the water off, but also heard recently that they allow water through so I'd still have the same issue.

Thanks in advance!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

I have slide toppers on my trailer. They are nice. They do keep debris and water off the slide roof. But....in heavy rains, mine collect water and sag. Once the rain lightens up, I retract the slide and the water gets dumped. Yours may or may not have this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #3

We have slide toppers as well and wouldn't own a trailer without them. Only our large 12' slide collects water. The smaller 6' bedroom slide doesn't. Usually we do the same as Tom, just retract the slide and the water comes off. Sometimes if there's leaves in the water, I'll get up there with a soft bristle brush and push it off because I don't want them rolling up in the cover. Even in heavy rain I don't recall there being water on the slide roof itself as the toppers extend over the outside edges of the slide. The only other issue I've heard with the toppers is that they flap in the wind. We have never experienced this. Hope this helps in your decision, Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #4

Like others have said, our topper doesn't stop the water from getting onto the top of the slide.

When we set up, our trailer is slightly nose high and the slide side slightly low. The top of the slide may be damp, but water doesn't puddle on top so there is no water to run off into the inside of the trailer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #5

On the sunset trail without slide toppers I always broom off the slide to get water, leaves and such off before I pull it in.
On the windjammer which has slide toppers I do nothing, just bring in the slide. the only problem I have with the toppers is the noise and worry in high winds, we can't use the trailer with the slides in.
Sustained winds of 25+ last night at our campsite in florida and the news said possible gusts to 50. They were really making a racket, but they're still there.

I've had no problem with water pooling on the toppers, it will lay there for a short time and then the spring roller will eventually tighten up and it runs off.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #6

FWIW, you might want to contact Jayco with your VIN. They told me not to install a topper on my 26rls.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
FWIW, you might want to contact Jayco with your VIN. They told me not to install a topper on my 26rls.
Did jayco say why not to install? We have the Starcraft 24RLS with a slide topper and really like our topper, and it saves me from walking on the roof every trip to sweep things off.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #8

I've got slide toppers and the big one holds a ton of water. Water also gets on the top of the slide if it's windy. We had 4" of rain 3 weeks ago and there was so much water on the top of the slide that it went under the seal that in the top of the slide and leaked inside. Next time I will tilt the front of the rv up so it drains off the back or retract the slide.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

Thanks all for the responses. At this point I've decided against the toppers, primarily because the only one that would fit on the deep slide would leave a minimum 3" of the roof exposed, in my mind defeating the purpose of the slide.

I'll just have to be more careful about making sure water is clear before the slide is closed, and if it's raining, be prepared to clean up inside.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
Did jayco say why not to install? We have the Starcraft 24RLS with a slide topper and really like our topper, and it saves me from walking on the roof every trip to sweep things off.
They vaguely implied it wasn't framed for it but did not clarify when I tried to press for information. My impression is the people I spoke to (called twice) were reading of a sheet.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote