Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
Site Team

SOLAR or GENERATORS.... That is the question

OK, first things first... lets all be nice here. This could be a hot topic. Would hate to have this thread deleted because we can't be nice and have fun with it.

Since so many threads regarding SOLAR tend to derail and go off topic when it comes to SOLAR VS GENERATORS here is your chance to let your feelings out. Have fun!!

Let's hear the PRO's and CON's

For me it was SOLAR! I hate the sound of generators. I would rather listen to the sound of my batteries being charged by SOLAR. We have been to a few CG's that enforced restricted generator times while in CO and some that did not allow them at all. Have seen an RVer with his high priced rig, evicted because he did not want to follow the generator rules, that was one of those diesel generators under the front windshield. Also have seen them ask a TT owner to turn off his generator (with a big 4000 on the side), because it was to loud. Granted, 99.9% of RVers follow the rules and have quiet generators, but you always will have a few individuals that do not care. That was 2 years ago and I do understand that they have made them a little quieter now.

If you turned on your generator and your neighbors thought it was to loud, would you turn it off?

How about a "NO GENERATOR site ZONE"? OK, maybe not a "NO GENERATOR ZONE", how about a "SOLAR ONLY site ZONE"?

Most of the noise issue is What is not loud to me may be loud or BLASTING to someone else!

Should the CG's get a dB meter to measure the sound being emitted from a generator at x amount of feet from it? POST the max dB levels at the entrance of the CG and on their website?

So we know SOLAR is not for everyone! We also know Generators are not for everyone! and probably to the majority SOLAR and GENERATORS are not for everyone. What to do?

Who will be first... next please

Be nice
Just my thoughts.....

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
BCK

Solar for me too for many of the same reasons. When we dry camp it's to be in nature so the quieter the better. Also mostly in the trees here so plenty of shade for hot days and AC is not usually necessary.

Solar keeps the battery fully charged and is silent. Before I had solar I ran a Honda 2000 a couple hours each day to keep the battery up but it was never fully charged and not as convenient as solar.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

On our sailboat we used solar for years, it was great and maintaining charge on our battery to support 12V items.

However on our TT I went with EU2000i. For me the ability to have 120v power for TV & some small appliances was easier with a generator vs building a battery bank large enough and wiring in a inverter.

Even when there are no generator restricts we rarely run more than 2 hrs AM and 3-4 hrs PM.

My "power investment" has been a lightly used Honda EU2000i for $650 on Craigslist + ~$5/trip in fuel.

I would like to know how much solar uses have invested in the system including upgraded battery banks and inverters for comparison.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #4

I'd love to see our State and National Parks ban the use of any generator over 59dB. I've seen plenty of responsible generator users over the years, but I'm all too familiar with the idiots polluting campgrounds with generator use.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

I think that there's a place for both. I love my solar suitcases. They do a fine job!! But I still want to use my microwave from time to time. I make green smoothies on a regular basis. We charge all of our electronics daily. On a fishing trip up in the mountains of Pa. 10 days ago, It was in the 90's for most of the daylight hours. For this we needed a generator. I whole heartedly agree on banning commercial generators. And there should be limits on any generator run time. But when it is hot as the hinge's of hell and you don't have shade, it requires AC for us. In the winter when dry camping out west, there are days before we even think about the generator. Both power sources have there place and compliment each other if used correctly.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #6

Solar is my preference but the generator is required to use the ac and microwave, at least until I upgrade from the 1000w oem Xantrex inverter to an 1800!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
If you turned on your generator and your neighbors thought it was to loud, would you turn it off?
It would depend on how necessary it was. If for some reason I was trying to pack up to leave and didn't have enough juice to bring in the slide or run the tongue jack, then he might have to endure it for a few minutes.

That said, mine runs at just 52db for minor draws like battery maintenance, and if I'm in a campground that allows generators during certain times, then maybe he needs to reconsider his choice of CGs. I won't run one all day or all night for any reason, and I certainly wouldn't in a campground that prohibited them.

I would only use it if actually necessary, and in that case almost any rational person will be understanding.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

I wish I had both, but only have the genset. Our needs depend on the time of year. We have a residential fridge, so during the cooler months, an inverter plus a little solar would be the preference. But, slim on funds and never finished the inverter project. In the hotter months, we run the AC while in transit, which of course runs the fridge as well. It's a win win in the hotter months, which is most of the year in Louisiana. The only time we've ever run the generator in a park is during a lost power situation. In those cases, especially in the hotter months, everyone forgets about sound and wishes they had any kind of power and AC.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #9

I have the option of using either my 120 suitcase solar or my Champion 2000 or my 3100 watt inverter generator depending on the weather and load requirements. I would prefer to use my solar as much as possible and it is nice to have a quiet generator for back up when solar isn't viable. I follow the generator rules at our Provincial Parks...😊
Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #10

I went both ways (hmmm.....sounds a little creepy). I like solar for maintaining the batteries, but if I'm dry camping in Nevada in August, I gotta have air. I'm in favor of no generator zones when you have others around you. There are appropriate times for both applications.

Jim
Old 06-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #11

For us we went generator mainly because we had one. I considered adding the 2x 6v batteries but for the weight that it added, I could add the generator. We do a mix of camping with and without hookups. The 95% of the time if we dry camp, everyone else is running inverter generators (mainly Honda and Yamaha) so one more to the mix really doesn't matter. This is camping with family on private property. It really has only come up once so far. We camped at a WI state park a while back and all they had left were dry camp sites. They have a policy that if you have a medical need (CPAP or other equipment) there is an electric site open we had to take it, we wanted one but none were available. Next if there is a handicapped site open which has power, then we have to stay there. There was one open. I am also a disabled vet but don't have mobility issues which warrant handicap plates. They put us up in the handicap site. I don't think we put anyone out as we were given a reservation for that site a couple days before when we were camping. So it was a last minute stay.

Sure I could use a different machine or use and inverter along with more batteries and solar but the benefit of a generator for me was mainly that I already had one. It is also weight that can be removed when I don't need it if I am at a site with power. I doubt too many people pull their 6v systems to run the normal single 12v deep cycle when going to a full hookup site. If I went with a 6v system I wouldn't but that means you are always hauling around that weight which you may not need.

I would say it really comes down to what type of camping you do. Or at least what kind of camping you do more of.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #12

Thermometer is reading triple digits.
My shore power cord is gonna be plugged in.
Pedestal or generator.
Solar is what's making me miserable.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #13

If my honda 2000i is bothering you, then I think YOU are the one with the problem
Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
OK, first things first... lets all be nice here. This could be a hot topic. Would hate to have this thread deleted because we can't be nice and have fun with it.

Since so many threads regarding SOLAR tend to derail and go off topic when it comes to SOLAR VS GENERATORS here is your chance to let your feelings out. Have fun!!

Let's hear the PRO's and CON's

For me it was SOLAR! I hate the sound of generators. I would rather listen to the sound of my batteries being charged by SOLAR. We have been to a few CG's that enforced restricted generator times while in CO and some that did not allow them at all. Have seen an RVer with his high priced rig, evicted because he did not want to follow the generator rules, that was one of those diesel generators under the front windshield. Also have seen them ask a TT owner to turn off his generator (with a big 4000 on the side), because it was to loud. Granted, 99.9% of RVers follow the rules and have quiet generators, but you always will have a few individuals that do not care. That was 2 years ago and I do understand that they have made them a little quieter now.
I have both solar and Generator... Solar does not work in rain, snow or camped under shade trees - so, then it goes on Generator for charging the house batteries... It is a Quiet Generator and run during the afternoon IF NEEDED. If it is 106F and the AC is needed... well the Genny might just be needed as Solar will never ever do the job.
If you are in a campground that has Generator Rules... why aren't you plugged into the shore power already???
Quote:

All depends on the circumstances... but have NEVER been asked so I can't really say... again - if you are in a campground/park and have a neighbor THAT CLOSE, why not be plugged in to the pedestal
Quote:
How about a "NO GENERATOR site ZONE"? OK, maybe not a "NO GENERATOR ZONE", how about a "SOLAR ONLY site ZONE"?
Have not seen one yet in 67 years... are there really such a thing in a park today?
Quote:

Most of the noise issue is What is not loud to me may be loud or BLASTING to someone else!

Should the CG's get a dB meter to measure the sound being emitted from a generator at x amount of feet from it? POST the max dB levels at the entrance of the CG and on their web site?
again - if you are in a campground/park that would invest in an SPL meter, why not be plugged in to the pedestal
Quote:

So we know SOLAR is not for everyone! We also know Generators are not for everyone! and probably to the majority SOLAR and GENERATORS are not for everyone. What to do?
Each have a place in the supply of power that an RV requires. Solar can provide power up to a limit that is dependent on lots of variables that are not always available, Generators provide many orders of magnitude more than solar, but have a downside. again - if you are in a campground/park, why not be plugged in to the pedestal
Quote:

Who will be first... next please

Be nice
Just my thoughts.....

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:39 AM   #15
Site Team

I like that we have options. Each has different needs and wants. It's great that we can make them real in this country if you want and have the funds.
Our lifestyle is camping with power. I can get by on 15a, 30a or 50a. We will likely never need a solar setup but I get it that others do. I carry a 2000i for those infrequent times when I need power in a pinch, such as a short stay in a parking lot or on the side of the road.
I think no matter where we stay that we should abide by the rules of where we are or go somewhere that has rules to suit us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:08 AM   #16

I would consider myself environmental in many ways and I love solar. I was even going to install solar on my roof and make money off it as part of the microFIT program in Ontario until the power company said they didn't have the capacity to hook up.

That said I find our 26BH to get unbearably hot. I don't even have AC in our home and never use it in our vehicles, but in the TT I just find there is not enough airflow to stay cool without the AC on.

I researched solar, deep cycle batteries, and heavy duty power inverters to figure out what it would take to run the AC off solar/batteries.

Long story short I figured it would take about 10 x 100W panels ($200 each) in full sun (assuming if it isn't crazy sunny the AC won't be needed as much anyway). On top of that I figured on 5 x 250 AH deep cycle batteries ($700 each) to run it all and a very powerful inverter at about $1,000. All prices in Canadian comes to a total of about $6,500. Not to mention the weight of over 800lbs for all this equipment. Yeah yeah, I know I left out wiring, charge controllers, switches, etc., I kinda factored those into the panel and inverter costs. Then there's all the battery maintenance, panel set up at every stop, etc.

On the other hand $2,000 to $3,000 buys a really nice and quiet 3000W Honda Inverter Generator that would easily power my whole unit including AC. These things are super quiet. My uncle has the 2000W and it is literally quieter than most AC units. Additionally I think you could make them near silent by building a Sound Dampening Box.

While I like the idea of solar and would like to be environmental and all, the overwhelming price, weight, and easy of set up would force me to take the generator route when the time comes.

Currently we try to get campsites with power in the warmer months, or nice shady spots and save the dry camping for spring and fall.

I have bought one 100W solar panel to install to help keep my 2 batteries charged when dry camping.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
... I carry a 2000i for those infrequent times when I need power in a pinch, such as a short stay in a parking lot or on the side of the road.
Just curious, is your 2000i powerful enough to run your AC? I've read if you turn your RV breakers off to most other items like your inverter and charger and run the fridge off gas and lights off 12V that a 2000W can run the AC.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntr View Post
Just curious, is your 2000i powerful enough to run your AC? I've read if you turn your RV breakers off to most other items like your inverter and charger and run the fridge off gas and lights off 12V that a 2000W can run the AC.
NO
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #19

My off-grid camping requires the generator. I will run down my battery bank to its 50% charge state by 8AM each morning... Presently I use the generator when allowed to recharge my battery bank back up to its 90% charge state which takes around three hours of generator run time.

The initial DC Current required for re-charging my Battery Bank setup is around 55 AMPS DC CURRENT and then this will start tapering down to around 6-8AMPS DC current after 45 minutes or so...

I could switch to just solar panels after this point I guess... Keep in mind a typical 120WATT Solar Panel will only produce around 5-6AMPS DC current only when in high SUN. Having a solar panel grouping to produce the 50AMPS OF DC Current would end up being a large group of panels.

I could however run my generator for the first hour and then shut it down and let the two or three 120WATT Solar Panels continue charging my battery bank when in high SUN for the rest of the day.

The downside to this in my case I will not ever start my next day/night run off my battery bank unless it is at least at its 90% charge state so I imagine I will be running the generator again later on in the afternoon to be sure this is happening...

Of course I could only use SOLAR PANELS and stop using my appliances and battery drains where the 17-20AMPS DC current coming from the three solar panels would suffice... In my case that isn't going to happen according to the boss here (Not me)...

Also keep in mind SOLAR PANELS do not perform at full capacity on cloudy or raining days... A generator for me is a must have item to support my camping experience.

Been doing this routine since 2008 when we got our OFF-ROAD POPUP camper...

Granted others can get away with solar panels using minimal appliances and devices at the camp sites... If you just want to run your lights at night a small group of Solar panels will work for you just fine... If this is what you are thinking of doing I would setup in the driveway and experiment with you can get away with just using the solar panels...

I imagine I will be getting at least three 120WATT panels for my POPUP trailer roof before too long but will always have my 2KW Generator sitting secured in the covered tailgate corner of my truck.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #20

I have a Champion inverter gennie but rarely use it since I installed solar. I dislike carrying the gennie and gas can (TT uses diesel) so it stays home. I would use a "no-generator" rv site because I'm finding that adapting to a more "rugged" lifestyle is more desirable than trying to bring every residential convenience with me...but that's just me

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote