Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #1

Solving the "no light switch" problem in our 28BHS

We are finding it very frustrating to not have a light switch in the master bedroom of our 28BHS. Jayco really cheaped out on this.. the overhead light is right in the middle of the bed, and at 5"1" tall I have to climb onto the bed every time I want to turn the light on.. it is particularly bad once it is really dark..
I am wondering if anyone has ever wired in a light switch for their master bedroom or solved the problem any other way. We will be adding a night light where the TV outlet plug is high on the wall for the short term, but would like a longer term solution.
Thanks
Lady W

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Site Team

I have to agree there should be a wall switch in the bedroom. The bathroom has one, where it is nice but less necessary then the bedroom where as said the light is in the center of the bed, very unhandy.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #3

I'm still trying to figure this one out also. The Jayco I had was the same way. My Keystone Outback is also like that. For a $2 switch and some wire the bedroom lights could have easily been put on a wall switch. Every other ceiling light and fan is on a wall switch. If enough potential buyers told the manufacturers that would be a deal breaker, it might change, but that's unlikely as long as there are 100 people who are willing to overlook that and buy a trailer, as compared to one who would not.
Even on the interior walls which are hollow, running wires from the overhead lights to wall switches would be daunting at best because of the structural framing that would have to be drilled through to drop wires. Droppping the ceiling panels may disclose a potential path for running wires, but I think few people, myself included, would be willing to attack that, and I'm pretty handy with this stuff.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Team

Our Jayco has the wall switch. Eagle line.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I'm still trying to figure this one out also. The Jayco I had was the same way. My Keystone Outback is also like that. For a $2 switch and some wire the bedroom lights could have easily been put on a wall switch. Every other ceiling light and fan is on a wall switch. If enough potential buyers told the manufacturers that would be a deal breaker, it might change, but that's unlikely as long as there are 100 people who are willing to overlook that and buy a trailer, as compared to one who would not.
Even on the interior walls which are hollow, running wires from the overhead lights to wall switches would be daunting at best because of the structural framing that would have to be drilled through to drop wires. Droppping the ceiling panels may disclose a potential path for running wires, but I think few people, myself included, would be willing to attack that, and I'm pretty handy with this stuff.

I wonder how many people don't realize there is no switch until after purchase.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #6

Our 5th does not and I wish it did too although I have no idea where they would place the switch with the bathroom sliding door. Even worse is that in our rear bedroom there is no switch and height challenged kids can't reach the ceiling mounted switch.

I suppose that there would be several ways to remedy this, the traditional way, or creative solutions. The traditional way would be to route through the ceiling and walls a wire and connect it to a switch. An alternate way (which I have not tried) may include things like a wireless switch (there's a bunch of solutions for this, but expensive).

Another thought is to use wire ribbon like this (clickie) This is an ultra thin tape which you can run across the ceiling and down the wall to a switch. It can be covered, painted or trimmed. Never tried this but it seems like it would be a pretty good solution for the hard to run cables.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #7

Thinking about your problem LadyW, I searched for remote controlled relays and found this solution.

http://www.oznium.com/remote-switch

A quote from one of the product reviews-
Quote:
I bought the remote control unit to power on/off the bedroom light in my RV as my wife can no longer reach up to do that due to problems with both shoulders. I received the unit today, spent less than a half hour to install and test it. Suffice it to say the unit was simple to install and does exactly what I needed it to do. This remote control unit is a blessing as wiring in a switch was not a possibility.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #8

Yes there should be a switch. I keep going into the bedroom and reaching for the switch I hit the slide thinking it should be a light switch!! I have been thinking of trying something but I just do not want to service mount wire runs to get this done. I do not like the look of the surface mounted wire runs. If I get this done I will post the mod.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #9

While at Sams Club last night I saw something that may work. They are battery operated LED lights with a wireless wall switch that looks like a regular toggle style wall switch. They are made to mount under a cabinet but I am sure you could find another option. They also had motion activated wall sconce styles. Doesn't fix your problem but may be a solution.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...avAction=#desc

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...086&navAction=

2014 Whitehawk 27DSRL Summit Edition "The Doghouse III"
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
BriBoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #10

That's what I installed here for under the nightstand storage areas. It's nice mood lighting and enough to read by. Switch on the wall was stuck down with the velcro stuff they included in the package.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #11

Love those mods, Mike! I like to read in bed & those overhead lights are way too bright. My hubby ended up bringing in his forehead light & hanging it on the cabinet knob so I could read & he could sleep!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriBoy01 View Post
While at Sams Club last night I saw something that may work. They are battery operated LED lights with a wireless wall switch that looks like a regular toggle style wall switch. They are made to mount under a cabinet but I am sure you could find another option. They also had motion activated wall sconce styles. Doesn't fix your problem but may be a solution.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...avAction=#desc

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...086&navAction=
The one I bought only worked for about a week.