Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Question Some questions for those with outside kitchens

The TT we are looking at only has outside storage at the pass-thru at the front and at the back where the optional kitchen goes. Choosing the kitchen leaves only the front storage. Knowing that...

1. Would you choose an outside kitchen, leaving only the pass-thru storage?
2. Do you really use the outside kitchen? Do you wish you didn't have it?
3. What are some pros/cons of having an outside kitchen?
4. How does the outside fridge get power? Is it electric only?
5. The 2 burner outside stove seems small, especially with the wind guards up. Can you really use both burners at the same time?
6. Have you ever had plumbing issues with the sink?
7. Any general advice/experience using your outdoor kitchen?

Thanks!
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #2

We have the outside kitchen with the Murphy bed. This means we don't have pass through storage. Our front storage is minuscule. Even knowing that, I would absolutely keep the outside kitchen. It's nice being able to cook smelly things outside.

Outside fridge is electric only. Does not run on 12v. Takes a half day to get cold. Perfect for keeping sodas and adult beverages cold.

We don't have the sink.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

We do not like outside kitchens, would much rather have the storage. We camp in bear country and we set up our own outdoor kitchen several yards away, if bears want to check out our cooking I don't want them at the trailer next to where my kids sleep.

We do use our storage. We don't like load and unload items from the trailer, so we leave everything packed away in the trailer.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:12 AM   #4

I looked at trailers with the option to have an outdoor kitchen and decided against them for a few reasons:
1) adds extra weight to trailer
2) takes away storage
3) I don't like cooking against my trailer ( potential heat/ fire damage)
4) if the appliance breaks you have to replace it with the same type.. There are lots of stoves/ bbqs out there that are far superior to the ones that come with outside kitchens.
5) I find it easier and gives me more room to have a folding table with all my cooking appliances where ever I want to put it in my camp spot..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I think we're leaning to forgo the kitchen, mostly because of the storage issue. We already do most of our cooking outside on our little coleman grill. I think if the TT we are looking at had another outside storage spot we'd go for it, but as it is the storage is more of a priority.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:51 AM   #6

When I was looking at TT's I really liked the outside kitchen option. We decided on the 28DSBH which only has the front outside fridge which is perfect for beverages. After using our TT for 2 years I can honestly say I would rather have just the fridge and the pass through storage than a full kitchen set up. I carry a small colman stove and a Webber 2000 BBQ which is easy to set up and take down leaving me ample storage.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #7

Storage space always seems to be at a premium. I ordered my unit with the old fashioned dinette set up instead of the free standing table and chairs. The dinette has storage under both benches and i can also sleep more elves when folded down.

Same dilemma as you. It looks good and sounds like a great idea but you will always be wanting for storage space once in use.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Had some issues with mine

Hey Ranger,

My previous TT had the outdoor kitchen. I thought I would really like it... Not so much. The extra fridge space is nice, but since it is straight electric it only cools when you are plugged in.

The stovetop on mine was definetly small, I actually melted the knobs because a pan I was using was to big for the burners.

My biggest concern though was plumbing. All those moving pipes are just begging for a problem. Mine leaked a few times from being pulled in and out... Luckily each time it leaked was in the extended position so I did not end up with damage inside the trailer.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #9

We prefer to have the storage instead of the outdoor kitchen. Being from where I'm from, and especially where my wife's from, we like to cook, on a bigger scale. We set up our own outdoor kitchen with the big coon *** stove, old smokey grill, table etc, usually all under the gazebo. Can't cook a gumbo or stew on the tiny stoves they offer. The outdoor fridge is about the only thing I like on them, and we have a Yeti instead of that.

When we full timed, we did have the option, but turned it into a mini shop / tool storage area. Only thing there was the sink for washing hands.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #10

Personally not a big fan of the outdoor kitchen, though I have never owned one.

I can create my own custom outdoor kitchen (away from my trailer) with items I already own, and I see this as an advantage. I'm not a huge fan of outdoor fridges either. But I have thought on at least one occasion it would be nice to have because my son was asleep inside the trailer and I didn't want to bother him. On that note, I have never bothered him while making myself a drink (he sleeps HARD), so that fear may be unfounded. But then I could use a small cooler to accomplish the same thing if I really wanted to.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Camper_bob;360518]Personally not a big fan of the outdoor kitchen, though I have never owned one.

I can create my own custom outdoor kitchen (away from my trailer) with items I already own, and I see this as an advantage.

X2
Old 12-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #12

Outdoor kitchen (man cave) is a must for us!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the outdoor kitchen, it has always been a purchasing 'must have' (along with a bed that provides access from both sides); even our Coleman tent-trailer has an outside cook-top. Brewing coffee outside not only is quieter, but keeps the interior humidity down. With the TT, we aren't really losing storage because in our floor plan it is located under the bunk beds; IF we elected to remove the fridge and microwave (used for food storage when dry-camping) as they are only bolted-down, it would turn into more storage - and in fact, we do use the space between them and the drawer to store the BBQ and other outside 'dining' items like table cloths, bench cushions, food canopies, lanterns, and firepit/BBQ tools. We also camp in bear country but only in designated campgrounds (national, state, private), and in the 30 years of having an outdoor kitchen - never had a problem (we keep it VERY clean). As an FYI, one can accumulate far too much stuff that gets lost in storage - but we still have the pass-through and slide storage and are very efficient in what we put in there (not used within the year? get it out of the TT!).

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #13

I'm actually surprised how many are against the kitchen. I figured it was offered so much because of its popularity. I can see its use but after talking to the wife some more we're going to skip it. We already bring a large cooler with us to transition the food while the fridge gets cold and just leave it outside next to the door with most of the drinks in it. We have some inside and outside that way. Since we'll never be in the trailer more than a week at a time it works fine. We also don't have to worry about bears in our neck of the woods.

If we were full timers I could see us using the outside kitchen more.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE the outdoor kitchen, it has always been a purchasing 'must have' (along with a bed that provides access from both sides); even our Coleman tent-trailer has an outside cook-top. Brewing coffee outside not only is quieter, but keeps the interior humidity down. With the TT, we aren't really losing storage because in our floor plan it is located under the bunk beds; IF we elected to remove the fridge and microwave (used for food storage when dry-camping) as they are only bolted-down, it would turn into more storage - and in fact, we do use the space between them and the drawer to store the BBQ and other outside 'dining' items like table cloths, bench cushions, food canopies, lanterns, and firepit/BBQ tools. We also camp in bear country but only in designated campgrounds (national, state, private), and in the 30 years of having an outdoor kitchen - never had a problem (we keep it VERY clean). As an FYI, one can accumulate far too much stuff that gets lost in storage - but we still have the pass-through and slide storage and are very efficient in what we put in there (not used within the year? get it out of the TT!).
I would have thought a lot more people would have shared your opinion vs mine. The responses to this question surprised me a bit.

You will notice however, no one is saying they prefer to cook inside, but rather we prefer the outdoor kitchens we each set up with our preferred components. 90% of our camping is with 3 other families, 18 of us in total, and we have communal meals that rotate between the families. No way are you cooking for 18 with the built-in outdoor kitchens I've seen.

Now if they would make a gas/Elec outside fridge an option, I would jump on that. We currently use a Yeti, as another mentioned in this thread, but a second fridge that wasn't AC only would be very nice.

FYI, since I know we frequent some of the same areas, Sample Meadows and Huntington Lake off in the central Sierra National Forrest (off 168 between Yosemite and Sequoia) are just a couple of the developed campgrounds that I have seen bears damage trailers. Its still very rare, there is usually some much easier meal for them to get to, but that was enough for me not to risk my kids sleeping on the bunks adjacent to an outdoor kitchen.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I would have thought a lot more people would have shared your opinion vs mine. The responses to this question surprised me a bit.

snip...
Me too. You see so many units with OD kitchens now, I would've thought more people were on to them.

I just like the ability to customize what I'm using for the situation. Most times it's just the 3 of us, so I don't even bother setting up a "kitchen". I just throw out my Weber 1000 and DW might cook some noodles inside.

But when the whole fam gets together, that's a different story. My dad and I are known to break out the big cast iron and propane burners. We cooked for a Boy Scout troop with over 100 registered scouts on many occasions, so we know how to throw out a big spread.

I'm actually seriously considering a Camp Chef setup. It seems like it would be modular enough to do whatever I need to do. And the attachments are neat too, so you can make it into whatever you need at the time from a simple pair of burners to a flat-top griddle, to a cast iron ridged griddle, to a BBQ type grill... You can even get a little heat tent so you can use your dutch oven on it!

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Expl...ords=camp+chef

I carry an extra 20lb tank anyway for my Little Red Campfire, so something like this would be perfect for any situation for us.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #16

Camper_bob hit the nail on the head. When we are camping with friends, the kitchen moves outside under its own tent. Most campers already have propane stoves and a BBQ grill. Coolers are just fine for weekend trips and you always have the fridge inside.

Also keeps everyone out of the coach, especially on a muddy or dusty site.

An ice maker would be a nice addition. The portables are great.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Me too. You see so many units with OD kitchens now, I would've thought more people were on to them.

I just like the ability to customize what I'm using for the situation. Most times it's just the 3 of us, so I don't even bother setting up a "kitchen". I just throw out my Weber 1000 and DW might cook some noodles inside.

But when the whole fam gets together, that's a different story. My dad and I are known to break out the big cast iron and propane burners. We cooked for a Boy Scout troop with over 100 registered scouts on many occasions, so we know how to throw out a big spread.

I'm actually seriously considering a Camp Chef setup. It seems like it would be modular enough to do whatever I need to do. And the attachments are neat too, so you can make it into whatever you need at the time from a simple pair of burners to a flat-top griddle, to a cast iron ridged griddle, to a BBQ type grill... You can even get a little heat tent so you can use your dutch oven on it!

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Expl...ords=camp+chef

I carry an extra 20lb tank anyway for my Little Red Campfire, so something like this would be perfect for any situation for us.

I have the Camp Chef 16" 3 burner unit and, in my opinion, it puts out WAY too much heat. You pretty much have two choices of heat: magma inducing and surface of the sun. I have flame tamers--pieces of iron that go over the flames and block them--but they don't work well enough. The biggest problem is that the slightest amount of a breeze will blow the Camp Chef out. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out to check on my food only to find out that the grill is cold because the flame is out.

If I had it to do over again, I would definitely NOT buy the Camp Chef.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #18

We love the outdoor kitchen in our TT. I have a horse that I show & we camp some weekends at the show site. We put lunchmeat/condiments etc in the little fridge & bread, plates, etc on the shelf so that everyone from our barn can get lunch when they have time. Drinks are in large cooler. We we camp at State Parks, we do most of our cooking either on site grill, electric smoker or Coleman stove outside. We have yet to use the outdoor kitchen burner or the propane grill that came with the trailer. I doubt if we will use the propane grill....use it, it's dirty then were to store it.
2015 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax
JMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #19

Almost all of the campers BOB RYAN from Australia shows on here are equipped with outside kitchens.

The OFF-ROAD trailer outside kitchen is a must have I reckon... The trailers are just for sleeping I guess...

I really like what they have done to this setup which would fit my current STARCRAFT R/T 14...

Even like their indepentant wheel suspension ideas as well...

My STARCRAFT 14RT could very easily be modified for this...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #20

ODK was on my must have list and when it came out in a large bunkhouse I was sold. Everything is almost always cooked outside with the exception of a few small side items at times like mac n cheese or rice. There are a few configurations and if a cooktop was to come with mine I would not use it. Instead there was a drawer provided.

Yes the fridge is electric only, but if you pre-cool it and partially or fully fill prior to the trip it holds up pretty well for 4-6 hrs unopened. I only do this with drinks, not perishables. Usually within 2-3 hrs things are back down below 40 degrees once I plug back in.

I did remove the micro as this was useless out there and now have more counter space. Love having access to all my grill accessories within arms reach and a sink to wash my hands or tools without having to go inside.

Saves me on ice when not boondocking which is a huge expense and PITA for a weeks stay. I can also store items to be cooked outside and keep them within easy reach during the hot months.

Storage in a 5'er is not usually an issue so I can see where a TT needs might be compromised in some configurations. It does however free up some inside cabinet space since grill tools are now stored outside as well as table cloths.

There is a TV in mine so I do use it to watch news, sports and weather while cooking as well.

To each his own.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote