Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
LOL. We go to Florida from Maine several times a year.
We have settled on 95 to 26 to 77 ( through Charlotte..one of only two cities we go through. You go around, not through Harrisburg ) to 81 to 84 and 84 through Hartford CT, Mass Tpk for 10 miles, 290 then 495 to NH-ME border and then 95 once more.

The trucks on 81 come out in force at night. Hartford has the usual slow going between exits 44 and 50. ( there some 11 exits in seven miles) You do not want to get on the Mass Turnpike in Sturbridge on a Friday Night.. Everyone wants to. There is a little bit of turnpike involved between 84 and 290.

I have driven 95 in Connecticut many times. You may wish to from afar, but New Havens Quinnipiac River bridge is under construction and the entire flyover system changing. Lanes are narrow and full of heaves. I haven't seen a TT much there lately maybe for good reason. Moreover the tiesups from Bport to NYC can be horrific. I had to go from New Haven to NYC once lately. The 75 miles took four hours.

We did the Delmarva crawl last week. Every couple of years we try it. It was simply awful. New signals every time and new shopping centers. There was quite a bit of traffic..all engaging in stopping for the frequent lights. There used to be way less lights!

the wind could be a factor in the CBBT system. It was gusting to 50. We just had a truck..no trailer and it was throwing us around.

Some of the speed limits have been raised. I believe CT is 65 as is NY and PA and others.. But no one does that. In Maine its 70-75.

Just drive your own speed.

Tolls may matter. On I -84 there is one toll. I think its a buck fifty. Mass TPK will be a buck. NH three

But it beats the Jersey NYC tolls

Coming to Maine the route I described is exactly fifty nine minutes longer. Coming to Maine can have a different route than to NY.

Hope to see you ..AFTER Mud season!

Well Kim, you are indeed a life saver. Thank you for offering and writing out your superb directions.

In Maine now...the day time temp diff between Jupiter FL and Thomaston ME "in reel feel terms" is 50 degrees. Yes five oh bloody degrees. Maine is heaven for us. We overloaded the truck bed with too much clothing and misc. "man love" gear. Thus, the drag on speed. I've been shifting weight to the TT and tossing out things to lighten the bed of the truck. We averaged 350 miles a day driving North. We'll get the system down with experience.

2014 F150 CREW XLT 5.0
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 20MRB
Model A Fords
2012 Horton Car Hauler
1997 F250 Light Duty - gone but loved
Catmike2 is offline   Reply With Quote