Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #21
Site Team

As stated, it is a personal preference. After trying 3 brands of ST tires I went with LT and never looked back.

I never tried Maxxis and wish I had.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Touch N Go, I apologize, after reading my post, I realized it sounded somewhat harsh. That was not my intent. I, like you, ask the same question a few years ago.

Tires are truly an interesting topic on all RV forums I’ve visited and always instigate discussion/argument. I’m now convinced there are as many opinions regarding tires as there are members on the forum and tire brands. It is like the old topic of: Which is best, Ford or Chevy? One gets thousands of opinions and no tested facts plus one will never change the OPINION of the other.
snip...
I don't think your first post was overly harsh. And I see your point. But at least for me, my opinion is largely fluid. I will choose what I think is the best tool for the job based on as much objective evidence as I can find. I've always been a GM guy. All my life I was told Dodge and Ford were absolute junk. And at various periods during that time, all three were junk in one form or another. But I was always a GM guy. When it came time to upgrade my truck, I took an honest look at all 3 makes, and I ended up with a RAM. This decision earned me A LOT of ribbing from my family, especially my brother who was convinced that my dashboard was going to rot out in 6 months because that's what happened back in the 80's and 90's. I said "do you have any idea how long ago that was? You know they used water-based paint back then that was prone to fading too, and that's not happening anymore, things change."

My wife said "Who are you?!" LOL!!

So when it came time to put new shoes on my trailer, I looked at all the evidence I could find. And I did consider LT tires. But the bottom line is that for the money, I ended up choosing ST tires from a reputable manufacturer and went up from LR D to LR E. In my situation, that was the most prudent decision, and I stand by it. If money were no object, I might have done something different. If I had a lot of ST tire failures from different manufacturers, I might have done something different. If I were towing something heavier up near its GVWR, I might have done something different. All this is to say that I for one am completely capable of changing my opinion. Perhaps the reason there are so many staunch opinions on the subject is because there are equally as many unique situations and experiences.

So you gotta make the decision that's best for YOU at the time. So long as you've done your homework, and you're safe and happy with your decision, don't let anyone tell you it's "wrong".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #23

I also need new tires for my trailer. Most of my camping is on the beach so I'm always deflating and inflating tires. My truck and LT tires and I have had no issue. Not sure how they would be on the sand for the trailer. Anyone have an experience with them on the sand?
cpa0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa0912 View Post
I also need new tires for my trailer. Most of my camping is on the beach so I'm always deflating and inflating tires. My truck and LT tires and I have had no issue. Not sure how they would be on the sand for the trailer. Anyone have an experience with them on the sand?
We drove along the beach once, but we stayed on packed sand that had been driven on by MANY vehicles. No problems. Truck didn't have 4wd at that time, and I'd already almost got it stuck in the soft sand that weekend, so I stayed FAR away when I was towing my trailer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #25

I went from the ST225R15D's to LT235R16E. I don't have to worry about their low speed rating. I drive around 65 but didn't want to them at red line all day in 100+ deg temps
hotpepperkid is offline   Reply With Quote