Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #1

Starcraft RV' have same floor plans as Jayco

I noticed Starcraft Lexion Fifth wheels have the exact same floorplans as the Jayco fifth wheels. Does Starcraft have any affliation with Jayco? Looking at pictures of the Starcrafts they do not seem as weel built as the Jayco's.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
I noticed Starcraft Lexion Fifth wheels have the exact same floorplans as the Jayco fifth wheels. Does Starcraft have any affliation with Jayco? Looking at pictures of the Starcrafts they do not seem as weel built as the Jayco's.
Don't know about the 5th Wheels but my Starcraft 175RK hybrid was built on the same line as it's twin the Jayco 17C. Only the exterior decals and interior fabrics are different. Starcraft warranty is only one year compared to Jayco's two year. Other than that they are identical.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Starcraft is a division of Jayco. They moved the assembly into the Jayco factory in 2009, but they are now moving it back into their own facilities for 2011. Good news for the RV industry. See both press releases below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jayco Announces Closing of Starcraft Subsidiary
RV Business
Monday, November 17, 2008

Jayco Corp. today (Nov. 17) announced the closing of its Starcraft RV Inc. subsidiary in Topeka, Ind., and will relocate all production to the company’s Middlebury, Ind., facilities.

The closure will take place beginning in January and affect 244 employees.

Don Walter, president of Starcraft for the past 17 years, will continue to serve on the Jayco board. He is also on the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) board while serving as a co-chair on the Go RVing Coalition.

“This decision has been taken with deep regret because we know that it will place hardship on many of our employees and their families,” said Derald Bontrager, Jayco president and COO. “But, the RV industry has been hit hard, first by run-away fuel prices and, more recently, by severely diminished consumer confidence and a significant decline in the supply of credit at both retail and wholesale levels.

“Business conditions dictate that we take steps to reduce operating costs and maintain production capacity that reflects marketplace realities.”

Bontrager stressed that Starcraft will continue to operate as a separate brand with its own dealer body, sales and product development staff. All other aspects of the Starcraft ongoing operations will be integrated into Jayco’s existing departments in Middlebury.

Currently, Starcraft RV builds folding camping trailers, truck campers, travel trailers and fifth-wheels."

------------------------------------------------------------

Middlebury, IN, 2/3/2010 – Starcraft RV, a division of Jayco, Inc., today announced that it will reopen its Topeka, Indiana manufacturing facilities beginning in May of this year. The Starcraft RV plant had been closed in January, 2009 as part of the Jayco corporate efforts to trim costs and reduce production capacity as a result of recessionary economic pressures.

The company said it will initially move production of Starcraft Autumn Ridge travel trailers from its Middlebury, Indiana complex and the move will create 50 jobs at the Topeka facility later this year. Over time, company officials said they anticipate that production of most, if not all, of Starcraft RV product lines will be relocated back to the Topeka plants.

In making the announcement, Jim Jacobs, general manager of Starcraft RV, said, “When we consolidated operations into the Middlebury campus last year, we stated that our goal was to reinstate the Topeka operations as soon as market conditions would allow us to do so. Now that our business has begun to recover from the recent recession cycle, we believe the timing is right to accelerate these activities.”

Source: Jayco Inc.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #4

We took a tour of the Middlebury Indiana plant in Sept '09 when we picked up our new tt. There were a number of Starcraft pop-ups lined up outside. John the tour guide told us that those Starcrafts were made at the Middlebury factory. So they must be made at both facility's.

We actually have two Starcraft owners that are members here at JOF that I can think of
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #5

Thanks for the info; I did not know Jayco was making the starcraft campers. Are they as well built as the Jayco's. I have never been in a starcract, but the picture i saw of one showed the cabinets and fabrics to be a little cheaper looking than what Jayco puts in there trailers.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #6

I stand corrected; the starcraft trailers appear to be just as nice if not better in some areas.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
Thanks for the info; I did not know Jayco was making the starcraft campers. Are they as well built as the Jayco's. I have never been in a starcract, but the picture i saw of one showed the cabinets and fabrics to be a little cheaper looking than what Jayco puts in there trailers.
I can't attest to Starcraft's quality now, but I'm guessing if built by Jayco, then probably is great. Back in 1992 we were shopping for our first tt. We knew it would be a pop-up. At that time in our local, we only had access to Rockwood, Starcraft, and someother brand. We bought the Rockwood as the other two didn't open up as sturdily, or seem to have the quality of materials that the Rockwood had at the time. Keep in mind, the Starcraft was not a Jayco product back then.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #8

We owned a Starcraft pop up and the quality was nowhere near as good as a Jayco. That was before Starcraft was bought by Jayco. I can't attest to today's products.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
Site Team

The Starcraft web site does not look to be updated since the 09 model year and no dealers listed.
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The Starcraft web site does not look to be updated since the 09 model year and no dealers listed.
Don't know which website you're looking at but when I bring it up it has all the 2011 floorplans, has a dealer locator on the home page and says Starcraft 2011 in the title bar of the browser.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwill View Post
Don't know which website you're looking at but when I bring it up it has all the 2011 floorplans, has a dealer locator on the home page and says Starcraft 2011 in the title bar of the browser.
Thanks, I will try another way. Got it. http://www.starcraftrv.com/php/produ...hp?mod_id=1363
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #12

We are looking at the Jayco X17Z and Starcraft 176RB twins - in some ways the Starcraft does seem a bit better built, especially the cabinet quality, however I'm probably wrong, being that they are currently built on the same assembly line, though I heard that Starcraft production may move back to Topeka, IN. We were quoted prices by Camping World Colorado Springs of $18,000 for the Starcraft plus $880.00 for an Equal-I-Zer hitch (that I can buy for $430 online, BTW), and $14,000 for the Jayco by K & C/Camping World in Longmont, CO. Though we like the salesperson in Colorado Springs much better, I can't help but think about a $4,000 savings to buy a Jayco unit with the two year warranty nearly 100 miles closer to home..... I would have to check further, but I believe that the Starcraft comes with a 7 year tent warranty, while the Jayco may be 5. The only discernible difference I have found between these two units, other than graphics, is that the Starcraft unit includes a shower surround in the upgrade package, while the Jayco doesn't offer it at all, but that is the ONLY difference I can find. Incidentally, the Jayco and the Starcraft units have the same MSRP of $20,094.
FoCoNoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #13

There are a few things I noticed was the outside front of the Autumn Ridge (which is like the Jay Flight model) was the old 2010 Jayco style, non curved, different graphics and interiors and of course the one year warranty instead of two. Those were the only ones I could see without checking all the packages that came with the models.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCoNoCo View Post
We are looking at the Jayco X17Z and Starcraft 176RB twins - in some ways the Starcraft does seem a bit better built, especially the cabinet quality, however I'm probably wrong, being that they are currently built on the same assembly line, though I heard that Starcraft production may move back to Topeka, IN. We were quoted prices by Camping World Colorado Springs of $18,000 for the Starcraft plus $880.00 for an Equal-I-Zer hitch (that I can buy for $430 online, BTW), and $14,000 for the Jayco by K & C/Camping World in Longmont, CO. Though we like the salesperson in Colorado Springs much better, I can't help but think about a $4,000 savings to buy a Jayco unit with the two year warranty nearly 100 miles closer to home..... I would have to check further, but I believe that the Starcraft comes with a 7 year tent warranty, while the Jayco may be 5. The only discernible difference I have found between these two units, other than graphics, is that the Starcraft unit includes a shower surround in the upgrade package, while the Jayco doesn't offer it at all, but that is the ONLY difference I can find. Incidentally, the Jayco and the Starcraft units have the same MSRP of $20,094.

The camping world price is only 10% off MSRP, not a good price if you go by these buying tips in the link. Jayco or Starcraft is really only a matter of choice, which colors and graphics you like best, and of course what deal you can get. Jayco does offer the 2 yr warranty. Beware of extended warranties as their coverage can be very limited in nature. http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2360
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCoNoCo View Post
We are looking at the Jayco X17Z and Starcraft 176RB twins - .
Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum FoCoNoCo! Let us know what you wind up doing
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum FoCoNoCo! Let us know what you wind up doing

I actually posted in the new members forum, so you'll probably hear from me twice. We're pretty set on either of these units, but are honestly leaning more towards the Jayco. I can deal with total-jerk showroom sharks, but would prefer the close proximity of a Jayco dealer 30 miles away, as well as a better price and a better warranty, rather than have to haul a Starcraft 130 miles one way to Colorado Springs for warranty repairs, though with both dealers being Camping Worlds, that may not be an issue, though the cost savings and convenience factor do have a lot to do with it. I had priced out the Jayco X17Z on Rv Direct, and was quoted about $13,000, BUT would have to drive to Iowa from Colorado to pick it up, when I can buy the same unit here for $14,000 including factory to dealer shipping - so there is no cost savings for buying online in this case. Unfortunately, it's going to be a while before we can buy, as we are saving to buy in cash, rather than finance yet something else.
FoCoNoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #17

I am one of the Starcraft owners on here. Can not find a comparable Starcraft site so I come here for info. I have the 176RB and it is a great hybrid for my wife and I. so far I have no complaints about the quaility and everything works as advertised. Did not look at the Jayco as the dealer here has a not so good reputation and the Starcraft dealer worked with me to convince me that buying the 176 was what I wanted. I did all my research before even going to the dealer. It is very very close to the 17Z so if I can help in any way please let me know.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
I am one of the Starcraft owners on here. Can not find a comparable Starcraft site so I come here for info. I have the 176RB and it is a great hybrid for my wife and I. so far I have no complaints about the quaility and everything works as advertised. Did not look at the Jayco as the dealer here has a not so good reputation and the Starcraft dealer worked with me to convince me that buying the 176 was what I wanted. I did all my research before even going to the dealer. It is very very close to the 17Z so if I can help in any way please let me know.
Hi, I'm another Starcraft owner, we have the 175RK with the U Dinette. If you have not seen it already, take a look at this thread regarding AC mounting bolts: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2880. All four of our bolts had not been snugged down at all and we had a virtual flood inside earlier this spring while camping in bad weather.