Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #31
I think it depends on the experience you are looking to have, geography, and costs. I live in WA state, we have pretty good state parks. Not all have full hook ups, so for a weekend that's ok for me. A lot of the private parks are about the same cost, have more amenities, but smaller sites than our state parks. (camping per night at state park with water/power is about $26/night, it's about $30 with full hook ups at state parks or most of the private parks I've been too with some small variations).

I like both.

DW, 3 boys, & a dog
2011 Jayco 26BH
2012 Chevrolet 3500 SRW 4x4 CC Duramax
WA State
AndrewClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #32
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
While everyone is entitled to camp where they want, I think many people who criticize the lack of RV amenities at state parks are missing the point.
State Parks are not designated/created simply for the convenience or amusement of RVers (as private campground usually are).
State Parks exist because of unique natural features that exist and need to be protected, while at the same time being available for citizens to enjoy (waterfalls, scenic views, unique or rare vegetation or geologic formations, etc.) In addition, they serve a variety of recreationists from hikers, to bird watchers, to xc skiers, to backpackers, tent campers, RVers and many others.
Our family prefers state parks to private campgrounds because we got our RV to enjoy and experience the beauty and wonder of nature, while still having some comforts of home.
Some state parks have crowded sites, but mostly we've been able to find solitude in most parks. We camp in the fall and are often the only ones camping - we pretty much have the entire park to ourself. It is true that Minnesota State parks do not have pressurized water available, but we camp with a full FW tank (90 gallons). And Minnesota State parks do have water available, you just have to haul it a short way.

This is not to denigrate private campgrounds. We sometimes stay at these as an overnight on our way to some other destination. We've generally found them to be well taken care of, with friendly hosts. They exist for two reasons - to cater specifically to RVers, and to make money for the owner. We do not like the parking lot atmosphere of most private campgrounds, where your neighbor is practically sitting in your campfire circle. However, I understand the owners rationale to have as many camping spurs as possible to be able to turn a profit. Private campgrounds have their place and obviously serve a clientele that desires that experience. More power to them. The world is big enough for all!
MN state parks are some of the cleanest and best maintained parks in the country. We go for the nature and quiet. But to each his own....

dedeanddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #33
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
1st choice is Corps of Engineers (COE) parks. They seem to be the best maintained.
2nd choice is state parks. Not as well maintained but that really depends on the state you are in.
3rd choice is private/commercial. Sites are usually too close together and overpriced.
agree also 110%

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #34
Out west there are more choices. BLM,National Forest, and Indian reservations for example. Out here you can open camp in much of the national forest. We have favorite spots in all of them incuding the resrvations. AZ state parks are very nice, Many of the newer Natioanal Forest campgrounds have great facilities. Many of the private parks are great as well. It pays to do your homework in advace out here. Some facilities don't accomodate big rigs as well as they could. Some are on "roads" not suitable for trailer trafic. One campground here on top of a mountain has no place for a trailre to turn arround at all. Great pracitce backin down 10 miles of dirt road . Of course they have signs and all of the guide books caution that trailers are a verry bad idea.
26RLS with Dodge RAM 1500
Flytyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #35
We just finished 16 nights out all in private or KOAs. Never again! Over half the places our sewer connection was UP HILL so a lot of blocking and hand walking the hose to get it emptied. No site was level side to side or front to back. We paid 2-3 times the cost of Washington state parks or Forest Sevice campgrounds and more fuss to set up camp. Plus so very little room for our slide out and our pickup. We will stick to the woods and "roughing it" with our generator as needed.
Clint & Myra Larama
2016 Starcraft 24 RLS
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 4X4
Washington State

Nights Camping: 2016 - 13
ClintMyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #36
We have spent a lot of time in Missouri State parks and really like them. As others have said, private parks are more expensive and tend to squeeze a lot of people in, but do offer activities and have other options. I prefer State parks.
2007 Jayfeather 29X
2000 Ford Excursion V10
bed685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #37
With my limited experience I prefer the Ohio state parks. I feel we are very fortunate to have such wonderful state parks here. I live in the greater Cleveland area and there are at least 3 within an hour from my house. They are electric only but with a blueboy and water jugs you can make the stay more the just a weekend. The sites are level and roomy. Also the roads are paved making it nice to go on bike rides with the children.
2004 Jayco Jayfeather 23D
2014 Ford F150 EcoBoost
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #38
Depends on needs. I prefer dispersed camping in National Forests. Just me and the mountains. That said, in NM state parks don't typically have full hookup, but most have electric and water sites. I love the NM state parks - $14 but those hookups when needed, and more typically I'll take a spot that is more out in the boonies without hookups and be happier.

Just enjoy where you are....

- 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD 6spd manual
- 2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 246RKS
- 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe (sold)

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #39
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
We have stayed several times, at Myrtle Beach State Park and other state park CG's in South Carolina. For $20.00 per night for
over 65 state resident, you can't beat it! For about $3.00 more you can have full hook ups. Never had any trouble with noise. Rangers patrol all over the parks fairly frequently. Great unline reservation system.
Yes the SC State Parks down near Myrtle are great, problem is trying to get a site. They are almost always booked the full year in advance.
2012 Jayco 32 TSBH
Stored in Myrtle Beach/Surfside SC
2006 Tundra DC with tow package
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #40
We have a 1000 trails membership. Pay about $430 a year in dues. Parks are off the beaten path so you get to see a lot of country. The campsites are usually rustic but provide all the amenities. We have become friends with other members and keep a address book and email list of those that we have gotten to know.

2011 Jay Feather Select 28U
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT 6.0L
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote