Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #21

We like the Florida State Parks that we have stayed at. Facilities vary by location, but in general most of the sites are water/electric only and limited to RV's under 30 feet. Some do have full hookups, but all are limited to 2 week stays. We have been at a private, family owned campground on Cape Cod for about 6 weeks, which has been great. The MA state parks in the area have the 2 week limit and no full hookups, so they were really not an option. When we are traveling longer distances, we usually stay overnight en-route at KOA's. You know what you are getting and its easy to book on-line from the laptop or I-phone. Also some of the other parks have minimum 2 night stays, especially on weekends.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #22

We have stayed several times, at Myrtle Beach State Park and other state park CG's in South Carolina. For $20.00 per night for
over 65 state resident, you can't beat it! For about $3.00 more you can have full hook ups. Never had any trouble with noise. Rangers patrol all over the parks fairly frequently. Great unline reservation system.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
Being in NW Missouri, would someone please recommend a COE park to me? We've got no children, love solitude, somewhere by a lake this time of year, and quiet at night! We've only stayed in one state park (3 times) so, but we've only owned our new TT about 2 months now.

Also, wonderful input from all members here. Some things I would've never thought of and other I took for granted therefore a nice gestor to read it and shake my head, YES!

Thank You so much to all and keep it coming, I'm really enjoying this!
Check this site out... it may help you find what you're looking for:

http://www.rv-camping.org/COECampgrounds.html

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
Being in NW Missouri, would someone please recommend a COE park to me? We've got no children, love solitude, somewhere by a lake this time of year, and quiet at night! We've only stayed in one state park (3 times) so, but we've only owned our new TT about 2 months now.

Also, wonderful input from all members here. Some things I would've never thought of and other I took for granted therefore a nice gestor to read it and shake my head, YES!

Thank You so much to all and keep it coming, I'm really enjoying this!
http://www.recreation.gov/recgovHome...pTabIndex=Home

This site will show you what is available from the COE throughout the nation, you can also reserve your COE site on this website. When we got our TT we took a weekend and explored all the campgrounds in central and southwest missouri, checked out sites and made notes about which ones we liked and which ones we didn't. The wife made a notebook complete with campground maps and notes about which sites we liked at each campground. We like the COE parks around Pomme de Terre Lake, Wheatland and Damsite are two we like alot. We were going to go to Stockton State Park this month but had to cancel, it's pretty nice as well. I am sure there are some up in your area, just check it out on the website and take a day trip to see if you would like it.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #25

It really depends on the state and how they manage the state parks. Michigan does a great job with their state parks and forest campgrounds, and most are on or near swim-able water. In Illinois - forget it - they are horrible (in comparison). Wisconsin's parks are not too bad, but it really depends on the parks.
jkline326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #26

We have found state parks are older and have shorter sites [ due to having been built back when a 20 foot trailer was the norm and slideouts weren't yet popular]- The COE parks are newer and sites are longer and wider- Commercial campgrounds are more convenient when traveling because of their locations near major roads and cities [ EZ on and off]- We prefer pull-through sites when traveling and COE facilities when available- Bottom line = different strokes for different folks- JMHO- DD
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #27

I live in Montana and do most of my camping in the national forest at dispersed camping sites. Dispersed camping spots are pull off areas with no set place to park. Most have a fire ring but nothing else, they are first come, first serve and free. I have 2 6 volt golf cart batteries and carry a generator. I enjoy camping this way.

I also camp at Glacier National Park, set campground sites and bathroom facilities but no hook ups. They also are very strict on generator usage and quite hours.

Camped at a few commercial campgrounds also but would much rather be out in the forest.
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
1st choice is Corps of Engineers (COE) parks. They seem to be the best maintained.
2nd choice is state parks. Not as well maintained but that really depends on the state you are in.
3rd choice is private/commercial. Sites are usually too close together and overpriced.
We prefer COEngr/Fed camps since we have the "old geezer pass" which lowers the rate to half & no entry fee.We also buy the Tx Park pass that waives the day use fees at Tx parks,we have stayed in only a few pvt camps and that was 1979.
the Fed Senior pass (cant remember proper name,golden pass?) is for 62+ and costs $10 for life.you get into most all FEd camps,national parks etc free and camping is usually half of normal rate
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #29

Early in our marriage we did the state parks and local beaches. Eventually, we bought into a 'membership' c/g years ago (from someone trying to get out of one, so we got it for next to nothing - we didn't buy a 'new' contract). We are grandfathered into our yearly fee which doesn't go up and equivalent to camping 2 nights at a public privately owned c/g locally. The membership payed itself off the first year traveling across country for three summers with our kids (we had a reciprocal agreement that allowed us to stay at c/g's across the country for $2 a night in the 1990's and $10 a night now in 2012)...

We like the 'membership campgrounds' because if your fellow campers are stupid/drunk/obnoxious at 11pm they kick you out! It's nice to have soap to wash your hands in the bathrooms. At my age, I prefer to relax by a pool with the kids. Even better when we go on a Saturday they have activities scheduled. No matter.... everytime we camp with the kids we take hikes/bike with them also. Membership makes sense for us mainly because we camp a lot

Otherwise, one thing we do enjoy is camping at one of the local state beaches for a night or two ($40 no electric or water though). Last year we sprung $70 for a night at a private c/g to visit other family who booked there... way overpriced.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #30

We prefer state parks over private. I don't care for the whole seasonal thing and all the state parks I have stayed only allow 15 consecutive days and you have to get out.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #31

I think it depends on the experience you are looking to have, geography, and costs. I live in WA state, we have pretty good state parks. Not all have full hook ups, so for a weekend that's ok for me. A lot of the private parks are about the same cost, have more amenities, but smaller sites than our state parks. (camping per night at state park with water/power is about $26/night, it's about $30 with full hook ups at state parks or most of the private parks I've been too with some small variations).

I like both.
WA State
AndrewClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
While everyone is entitled to camp where they want, I think many people who criticize the lack of RV amenities at state parks are missing the point.
State Parks are not designated/created simply for the convenience or amusement of RVers (as private campground usually are).
State Parks exist because of unique natural features that exist and need to be protected, while at the same time being available for citizens to enjoy (waterfalls, scenic views, unique or rare vegetation or geologic formations, etc.) In addition, they serve a variety of recreationists from hikers, to bird watchers, to xc skiers, to backpackers, tent campers, RVers and many others.
Our family prefers state parks to private campgrounds because we got our RV to enjoy and experience the beauty and wonder of nature, while still having some comforts of home.
Some state parks have crowded sites, but mostly we've been able to find solitude in most parks. We camp in the fall and are often the only ones camping - we pretty much have the entire park to ourself. It is true that Minnesota State parks do not have pressurized water available, but we camp with a full FW tank (90 gallons). And Minnesota State parks do have water available, you just have to haul it a short way.

This is not to denigrate private campgrounds. We sometimes stay at these as an overnight on our way to some other destination. We've generally found them to be well taken care of, with friendly hosts. They exist for two reasons - to cater specifically to RVers, and to make money for the owner. We do not like the parking lot atmosphere of most private campgrounds, where your neighbor is practically sitting in your campfire circle. However, I understand the owners rationale to have as many camping spurs as possible to be able to turn a profit. Private campgrounds have their place and obviously serve a clientele that desires that experience. More power to them. The world is big enough for all!
X2
MN state parks are some of the cleanest and best maintained parks in the country. We go for the nature and quiet. But to each his own....
dedeanddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
1st choice is Corps of Engineers (COE) parks. They seem to be the best maintained.
2nd choice is state parks. Not as well maintained but that really depends on the state you are in.
3rd choice is private/commercial. Sites are usually too close together and overpriced.
agree also 110%

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #34

Out west there are more choices. BLM,National Forest, and Indian reservations for example. Out here you can open camp in much of the national forest. We have favorite spots in all of them incuding the resrvations. AZ state parks are very nice, Many of the newer Natioanal Forest campgrounds have great facilities. Many of the private parks are great as well. It pays to do your homework in advace out here. Some facilities don't accomodate big rigs as well as they could. Some are on "roads" not suitable for trailer trafic. One campground here on top of a mountain has no place for a trailre to turn arround at all. Great pracitce backin down 10 miles of dirt road . Of course they have signs and all of the guide books caution that trailers are a verry bad idea.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #35

We just finished 16 nights out all in private or KOAs. Never again! Over half the places our sewer connection was UP HILL so a lot of blocking and hand walking the hose to get it emptied. No site was level side to side or front to back. We paid 2-3 times the cost of Washington state parks or Forest Sevice campgrounds and more fuss to set up camp. Plus so very little room for our slide out and our pickup. We will stick to the woods and "roughing it" with our generator as needed.
ClintMyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #36

We have spent a lot of time in Missouri State parks and really like them. As others have said, private parks are more expensive and tend to squeeze a lot of people in, but do offer activities and have other options. I prefer State parks.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #37

With my limited experience I prefer the Ohio state parks. I feel we are very fortunate to have such wonderful state parks here. I live in the greater Cleveland area and there are at least 3 within an hour from my house. They are electric only but with a blueboy and water jugs you can make the stay more the just a weekend. The sites are level and roomy. Also the roads are paved making it nice to go on bike rides with the children.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #38

Depends on needs. I prefer dispersed camping in National Forests. Just me and the mountains. That said, in NM state parks don't typically have full hookup, but most have electric and water sites. I love the NM state parks - $14 but those hookups when needed, and more typically I'll take a spot that is more out in the boonies without hookups and be happier.

Just enjoy where you are....

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
We have stayed several times, at Myrtle Beach State Park and other state park CG's in South Carolina. For $20.00 per night for
over 65 state resident, you can't beat it! For about $3.00 more you can have full hook ups. Never had any trouble with noise. Rangers patrol all over the parks fairly frequently. Great unline reservation system.
Yes the SC State Parks down near Myrtle are great, problem is trying to get a site. They are almost always booked the full year in advance.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #40

We have a 1000 trails membership. Pay about $430 a year in dues. Parks are off the beaten path so you get to see a lot of country. The campsites are usually rustic but provide all the amenities. We have become friends with other members and keep a address book and email list of those that we have gotten to know.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote