Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #1

State Parks VS Private Owned

Which do you prefer? I'm new to TT travel and I've only stayed in 3 St. Parks so far. I've visited a private owned park and I do like the personal attention I rcvd just as a visitor. So, this is why I asked...."which do you prefer"?
wkc22fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #2

1st choice is Corps of Engineers (COE) parks. They seem to be the best maintained.
2nd choice is state parks. Not as well maintained but that really depends on the state you are in.
3rd choice is private/commercial. Sites are usually too close together and overpriced.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

110% on tnchuck's #3 above. Thus far (still a newbie) we've stayed in only one State Park (Lake Catherine, AR) and it was excellent. The CG's were mostly immaculate and we had a FHU (a prerequisite for me). We've stayed in several private CG's that have been very nice but the pads are always close together. Private CG's usually have a collection of full-timers and work campers living in. The work guys/gals usually leaving early (for some reason they drive a high percentage of diesels) and if you are near the exit it can get a little noisy. All that said I have found the people to be a little (not a lot) more friendly and outgoing at the private CG's.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #4

I've been camping all my life. I prefer our state parks that are run by the army corp of engineers. They are clean and well run. The rules are few but enforced.
Private campgrounds seem to have plenty of activities to entertain. However, they are louder and sometimes wilder. Once, very recently, we stayed at a private campground, and my head thumped for 3 days after from the neighbors music. No patrol to tell him to keep down, or to put his pit bull on a leash.
Ohio State Parks has my vote.
grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #5

Good input JOF members, I really appreciate it!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

We really pretty much stopped going to state parks. Often filled with 20 something partiers, who know the park rangers leave after 10. I agree that the private campgrounds are getting pricey, and often the sites are close together, especially the pull through sites. I was at a park last year where one campers awning was about 6 inches from the next camper. Thats nuts.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

State Parks here in Minnesota do not offer Water at the sites which is one of the biggest reasons I do not stay at State Parks.
The other reason is the sites are rather close to each other and very tight to get in and out.
Another reason is State Parks do not have much to offer as amenaties go (no pools or play grounds for our grandkids).
The last reason is as stated earlier, the private campgrounds are a little more personal and have a few more amenaties to offer.
The price is nice compared to private campgrounds, but the price is not enough to change my reservations!!
That's my two cents worth! :hihi:

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #8

Georgia and South Carolina have some great State parks. Peggy and I mostly use the Ga. State parks. The C.O.E. parks are well maintained here also. Only stayed in 1 privately owned campground. It was very nice, but we found it a little more expensive.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
Which do you prefer? I'm new to TT travel and I've only stayed in 3 St. Parks so far. I've visited a private owned park and I do like the personal attention I rcvd just as a visitor. So, this is why I asked...."which do you prefer"?
We really like the COE parks here in Missouri, the camp sites tend to be a little more spread out and better maintained than the State Park sites.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #10

Both, they are just different experiences.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
We really pretty much stopped going to state parks. Often filled with 20 something partiers, who know the park rangers leave after 10. I agree that the private campgrounds are getting pricey, and often the sites are close together, especially the pull through sites. I was at a park last year where one campers awning was about 6 inches from the next camper. Thats nuts.
In MI the rangers walk around late at night and control the noise.

We also have a large group of state parks with just electricity but there are a few that also have water and an even smaller group that have full hook-up.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #12

Unfortunately, most state parks here in Virginia, especially the ones in mountainous areas, have restrictions on size, number of slideouts (some don't allow slideouts at all), and have very few pull throughs and FHUs. Therefore, we prefer private CGs, where there is more to do, and easy to get the site you want. Some are a little close, some have permanents or seasonals, but most are managed very well, and noise is not a problem. We do not have COEs here, just privates and SPs, so can't comment on those.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #13

While everyone is entitled to camp where they want, I think many people who criticize the lack of RV amenities at state parks are missing the point.
State Parks are not designated/created simply for the convenience or amusement of RVers (as private campground usually are).
State Parks exist because of unique natural features that exist and need to be protected, while at the same time being available for citizens to enjoy (waterfalls, scenic views, unique or rare vegetation or geologic formations, etc.) In addition, they serve a variety of recreationists from hikers, to bird watchers, to xc skiers, to backpackers, tent campers, RVers and many others.
Our family prefers state parks to private campgrounds because we got our RV to enjoy and experience the beauty and wonder of nature, while still having some comforts of home.
Some state parks have crowded sites, but mostly we've been able to find solitude in most parks. We camp in the fall and are often the only ones camping - we pretty much have the entire park to ourself. It is true that Minnesota State parks do not have pressurized water available, but we camp with a full FW tank (90 gallons). And Minnesota State parks do have water available, you just have to haul it a short way.

This is not to denigrate private campgrounds. We sometimes stay at these as an overnight on our way to some other destination. We've generally found them to be well taken care of, with friendly hosts. They exist for two reasons - to cater specifically to RVers, and to make money for the owner. We do not like the parking lot atmosphere of most private campgrounds, where your neighbor is practically sitting in your campfire circle. However, I understand the owners rationale to have as many camping spurs as possible to be able to turn a profit. Private campgrounds have their place and obviously serve a clientele that desires that experience. More power to them. The world is big enough for all!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #14

I enjoy nature and the quite site of life.

Private CG are at the bottom of my list; they are too noisy for my taste. Personally unless I am parked for an extended amount of time, I really do not care if I have hookups or not.

I like the MN state parks. The sites are typically wooded, and they remove as few trees as possible, so they can be tight at times, especially with the big rigs. The only hookup our state parks have available is electric. A lot of state parks do have things for kids to do, but it does vary. Nature is always tops on the list of things to do. Alcohol is not allowed, so the 20 some things stay away.

I like the Corp of Engr sites, but it makes my DW uncomfortable not having a reserved site. I do find many of them at best having an old jungle gym for the kids, and they always seem to be on the water, for fishing and boating.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
While everyone is entitled to camp where they want, I think many people who criticize the lack of RV amenities at state parks are missing the point.
State Parks are not designated/created simply for the convenience or amusement of RVers (as private campground usually are).
State Parks exist because of unique natural features that exist and need to be protected, while at the same time being available for citizens to enjoy (waterfalls, scenic views, unique or rare vegetation or geologic formations, etc.) In addition, they serve a variety of recreationists from hikers, to bird watchers, to xc skiers, to backpackers, tent campers, RVers and many others.
I agree! We fill our FW tank (86 gal) upon arrival and learn to conserve and will usually have water left over. We utilize the bath/shower houses mostly, but I've learned to fully shower on about 2 gallons of FW.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #16

My very limited experience is one state park and one commerical park. Between the two the state park was by far the better of the two.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #17

We like Missouri State Parks. COE are great too at Clearwater Lake and Old Greenville Park. Usually clean and patrolled. All have campground hosts that keep an eye on things.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #18

When your trailer is over 30' long most state parks are out of the question.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:26 AM   #19

Yes, Clutch, that is unfortunately true. And if you have a larger trailer, it is often impossible to get into many state park sites because of trees and other obstructions. Each to his/her own.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #20

Being in NW Missouri, would someone please recommend a COE park to me? We've got no children, love solitude, somewhere by a lake this time of year, and quiet at night! We've only stayed in one state park (3 times) so, but we've only owned our new TT about 2 months now.

Also, wonderful input from all members here. Some things I would've never thought of and other I took for granted therefore a nice gestor to read it and shake my head, YES!

Thank You so much to all and keep it coming, I'm really enjoying this!