Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Steps Get Wet When It Rains

With the 33 RLDS,330RLTS,338 RLTS and similar TT's with the 13 ft awning there is very little awning extending past the steps into the TT causing the steps get soaked when it rains. I battled this with my 33RLDS last year and was wondering what people have tried with success to prevent this from happening when it rains. For most folks this probably wouldn't be a issue but since we take our shoe's off before entering the TT it does pose a issue.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

Besides the obvious "Don't camp when it's raining" reply... I would say your just going to have to put a towel down on the floor and figure out a shoe rack. Maybe one of those cloth ones that can hang from the door..

If not then you'll need to figure out how to set a sidewall up from your awning..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

I have a rug just inside the the entrance and after I remove my shoes I'm lucky enough to have a lower cabinet just to the right in this pic. where I can keep them out of the way.
I made the step just to the left in this pic. to make it easer to get in this bunk and out. I left it a lighter color to make it easer to see in the early AM. Guest find it very user friendly.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #4

Hey Tunce, I like that little step up for the Bed. Think I'm going to make two of them, one for each end of my Hybrid. Currently I just use small step ups but they are a pain. That thing I could actually tack into place.

Rain also gets in on us as well when we have the door open so I'm curious to see what people suggest.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

You can use a Carefree of Colorado awning extender

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...tender&es_th=1

Should be pretty universal and fit either dometic or carefree. I have never played with one.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Hey Tunce, I like that little step up for the Bed. Think I'm going to make two of them, one for each end of my Hybrid. Currently I just use small step ups but they are a pain. That thing I could actually tack into place.

Rain also gets in on us as well when we have the door open so I'm curious to see what people suggest.
Yes mine is screwed in from the backside, I have a support on either side of the step to support the weight of a foot step.
Now on my back bunk I made steps for Tunce to get into her den and it's real easy for the grand kids when they camp with us. It's always left in place because it only covers the access panel for the water heater. I can still pull the slideout in with the stairs in place and it also gives me an extra place to sit. I also sit there when I shave in the AM.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

Have a rug by the door. Come into the house take shoes off and leave on rug and we might get a little wet on the floor but not bad at all.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

Cheap and simple way to keep them mostly dry is to just buy a roll of clear carpet liner and cut to fit each step. You can take them on and off as you need. I use this and a cheap astro turf plastic entry mat outside along with our carpet liners inside to keep the sand and dirt at bay.

It's not going to rain all the time, so I just lift the liners off and hose them. The step carpets stay dry for the most part this way and it cuts down the dirt 75%. Ruggids are the best step covers IMHO. They really keep the dirt down and do not matt down and hold the dirt like the cheaper ones. We bought the matching entry mat too. Love it!

I have a roll lining my stairs to the inside bathroom and use carpet runners to keep the permanent carpets clean. We take them out to beat them mid and end trip to save my carpets.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #9

Thanks guys for your input here.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote