Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

Stinky question for the seasoned RV pro's

I have a question regarding the black tank on my 26BH and storage for the upcoming winter season. As luck would have it my black tank is approximately 1/3 full on the trailer and I will likely not be able to get it emptied before winterizing the unit for the winter. We had thought that we might have been out at least one last time before the end of the year and would then empty it after that time but it doesn't look like that will be the case. And I can tow it across town to a visitor information centre and empty it there and bring it back again but that presents its own challenges of taking it out of the backyard, driving across town and then back again before backing it into the yard again...all to empty that tank. Can I get some suggestions from veteran campers about this? If need be I will take it across town and empty it out. Or is it possible that it could be left until the following season? Thanks in advance for your help.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #2

Uhhh....I think I'd make the trip across town for a dump.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

Another option, but not the cheapest one, would be to get a macerator and pump it into your s&b sewer access. You would then have the macerator to use if needed down the road.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Site Team

My question to you:

If you don't want to empty the black tank, what's you plan to keep its contents from freezing? The normal procedure is to empty it and pour some RV antifreeze down the toilet to help keep any minute amounts of residual water from freezing.

I wouldn't want to even THINK of the consequences (and potential mess) should the contents freeze and crack the tank.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #5

Another option would be to purchase a blue tank and then lift it into the back of your truck and go dump it somewhere. Not fun, but it is what it is. They are pretty handy to have around - and if it is that difficult to get it in/out, you might find it quite useful.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #6

My thinking is that it would be best to just go and dump everything, despite having to hook up and head across town to do it. As FPM said, I don't want to even think about how ugly it could be if there was freezing and cracking involved! That would be just plain nasty, no doubt about it.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #7

If you have an outside sewer clean-out use it. The blue tanks are handy but keep in mind that water and sewer weighs about 8 # per gallon ( a little heavy to lift into a truck). I would take it to a dump station. Look around and you may find one closer to where your house is. We never leave camp without dumping the poop.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #8

If not moving the trailer is the prize so to speak, this is what I would do. Empty the remaining quarter tank into 3 five gallon laundry soap pails from Costco . Snap the lids on and take them home and dump them down your toilet or wherever you get rid of it. I would raise the side of the trailer a little bit that is on the opposite side of the dump valve , prior to starting. Use a wand to rinse out the holding tank. This will require two 5 gallon pails.Make sure it is clean. Remember to put some anti freeze in the p traps. Don't take a chance that everything will be ok if you leave it.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvguy68 View Post
My thinking is that it would be best to just go and dump everything, despite having to hook up and head across town to do it. As FPM said, I don't want to even think about how ugly it could be if there was freezing and cracking involved! That would be just plain nasty, no doubt about it.
Sounds like a plan to me!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #10

Not emptying is not an option, 100% of the years, as far south as Alabama! If its not an option in Alabama, then it does not even make the discussion board in Canada. The only option you have is where. The options are all covered above.

I use my outside sewer clean-out, back it down the driveway, had to buy a 20' long sewer hose to reach, but I use it 3-4 times a year. Sometimes it saves waiting in line to dump. Think long term and convenience in coming to your decision.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
how ugly it could be if there was freezing and cracking involved!
It is not the freezing that is the problem - it is the thawing!

So another possible option - but not a great one -- so it sounds like there is somewhere around 10 gallons in there. How much antifreeze would it require to protect this -- I am thinking quite a bit. Does antifreeze tend to sink and go down around the valves, float on top, or mix 50/50? It would be pretty expensive, but cheaper than the damage caused by freezing.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
It is not the freezing that is the problem - it is the thawing!

So another possible option - but not a great one -- so it sounds like there is somewhere around 10 gallons in there. How much antifreeze would it require to protect this -- I am thinking quite a bit. Does antifreeze tend to sink and go down around the valves, float on top, or mix 50/50? It would be pretty expensive, but cheaper than the damage caused by freezing.
Assuming you're going to use RV antifreeze, there are two things to consider:

One- RV antifreeze works differently than the automotive variety- it does actually freeze, but doesn't expand so your pipes won't burst. Just ask any RVer that has a refrigerator with an icemaker about making the pink ice cubes when they winterize.

Two: You use RV antifreeze undiluted so I'm not sure how effective it will be mixing it with the current contents of the tank. And since the trailer's not going to be moved, how do you ensure it gets mixed thoroughly.

As for using an automotive antifreeze, again, you'd have to figure how much to use to get it 50/50 and how will you mix it. Also, you'd have to find out what damage, if any, automotive antifreeze might cause to your tank, pipes, valves and seals.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
As for using an automotive antifreeze
Oh - was not talking about using automotive...just a 50/50 mix of RV to tank water -- but I guess that is a possibility -- but you are right - will it cause other issues? My gut feeling is no, but I am not sure. As long as you dont even think about getting it close to your fresh water lines it would not harm you - BUT - then you have the environmental issue - I dont think you can dump that can you?

I think everyone is in agreement that the best course of action is to go dump, but if that was impossible - what would you do??...none of our other suggestions sound that good, do they?

Old 09-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Site Team

If I could not move the unit for whatever reason I would use my blue tote and haul it to the DS.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #15

Nope...it's been decided...it's a far better option to just get the trailer out and get the tanks emptied as opposed to the alternative. Besides, I might just squeeze in one last overnighter at a local campground at the same time. I have a question for those talking about sewer cleanouts, etc...what the heck is that? I'm pretty sure we don't have something like that for our house.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #16

A sewer clean out is "T" that is put in the line usually at the property line. If you line is blocked they can go in from the ther end to clear it. You can see a steel grate on top of the service . Mine is about 15 feet in from the road in the middle of my driveway. I've dumped my backwater tank on several occasions down the line. It has come in very handy. I would also caution you on driving with a full black or grey tank. I'm sure your aware of the weight factor.
I am very meticulous about keeping our tanks clean. I am always surprised on how much residue is left in the tank after dumping them out prior to rinsing them. Spend sometime reading the posts on upkeep of your holding tanks. You will find that the effort to keep them clean is well worth it. Don't put yourself in a position where you leave your tanks partially full when you put your tailer in storage. Consider buying a black water spay unit . One popular one is called Tornado. A wand to rinse out the tanks is effective also.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #17

When anybody accuses you of not "roughing it" you should remind them that tent campers don't have to deal with emptying and cleaning holding tanks.

Here's what I've done.

Put a 5 gallon bucket under the sewer and pull the gate for a few seconds, then close it. Yes. You will have a bucket of waste. It's no big deal. Carefully walk it to your toilet and dump it in. Flush the toilet for every 2.5 gallons of waste to ensure the solids makes it to the city or septic system. Repeat until the RV is empty.

Then, pour 4 gallons of fresh water back down the RV toilet and drain into the bucket again to ensure that all the solids were flushed out. This is particularly important since you operated the gate valve during the initial dump, you might have pinched in some solid waste there.

If this seems too gross or too involved, then use it as a great excuse to go camping just one more time this year.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #18

I would sure like to put in a (clean out) at our house but the sewer line is on the wrong side of the house.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #19

Problem solved. I managed to get the grey and black holding tanks emptied today. As a matter of fact I got the trailer winterized at the same time. First time winterizing the unit so I had to make sure I remembered everything...drained the HW tank, emptied the low-point drains, holding tanks emptied and RV antifreeze run throughout all of the hot and cold lines including the outside shower. I think I'm good to go.