Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #1

Storage while traveling tips?

Does anyone have any tips for storing things like dishes, pots and pans, and small appliances (toaster oven, keurig) while moving? I wonder if those cabinet doors stay closed or if there is something that helps to keep them closed.

How do you all keep everything from flying out of the cupboards when you are pulling a TT?

I did order the rubberized shelf liner to put in the cabinets and between plates.

Thanks!
llilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

We've never had anything in our cabinets move. We so use that grippy shelf paper though, so I can't help but think that helps. We HAVE had stuff in our fridge move, and unsecured items in other areas. But for the items you mentioned (dishes, appliances, etc) we've never had any of that move while under way; at least not enough to notice.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #3

Thanks! Do you think the size of the trailer makes a difference for how much jostling happens? Ours is only 18.5 feet.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #4

We had a single axle Cub C160 (16 foot), and it would bounce to the point of cabinet doors opening and dishes, food, etc falling from the cupboards. I used a spring loaded fridge bar to keep things in, worked really well. Since trading to a longer tandem axle trailer, have very little movement of anything inside.
Amazon.com: Camco 44073 Double Refrigerator Bar: Automotive
Old 08-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

We've had a couple of drawers work their way open while we're moving but never a problem with the cabinet doors. Our new tires also seem to give a smoother ride compared to the old ones (which may be a hint as to why we had 2 blowouts). The bride also installed shelf and drawer liner that helps keep things from rearranging.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

We put our Keurig in the kitchen sink so it doesn't slide around. Other than that we strap the rockers together like when they shipped it to us and that's about it.
No major issues so far.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

We've had minor issues. We have a "cubby" cabinet in the back of our trailer that we store the coffee maker in. Last year we bought a Kurieg Mini that flew out of the cabinet and it never worked right after that. Only used it one trip. Total waste of $100. We replaced it with a $20 10 cup machine. I store it in the same cabinet but with some stuff blocking it in.

We had a drawer in our old trailer that would sometimes pop out an inch or so.

Otherwise everything stays in it's place.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #8

We use the rubberized shelf liner on the shelves. We also use plate racks to stack our plates and bowls. Never had an issue. I do use bars in the fridge also.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #9

Thanks for all of these tips. I guess some of it is trial and error. I want my keurig mini to make it, so maybe I'll keep the box it came in and just store it under the bed. I've got some of the spring loaded rods in my Amazon cart now too.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #10

Our hints ... with lots of links:
  • Line shelves with grip-type liner or carpet remnants
  • Store heavy things lower, lighter things higher
  • Think about Corelle for dishes - they are lightweight and tend not to break (and can be used in the microwave and oven)
  • Go "nested" (Magma cookware) and collapsible
  • In the cabinets and entertainment centers, use tubs, bins, and storage boxes (variety of sizes from Amazon)
  • Use tension bars where things tend to slide (lav cabinet, etc.)
  • Where you have concerns about cabinet doors opening, use mini or ball bungee cords looped through the handles
  • For large storage items (storage drawers with wheels, waste baskets), lay in aisles on side for transit; we use anti-fatigue mats to set awkward things as they reduce shifting
  • Use moving quilts to 'pad' things like outside chairs and tables so they don't bang into things
  • To minimize pantry cans, pre-make stuff where possible and then place in zip-lock and pre-freeze flat or store in fridge ~ accept that EVERYTHING shifts in the fridge!
  • Use the oven to store breads
  • Under the bed we store our electrical appliances (for when we have hook-ups) as extra bedding cushions them
  • DH likes to buy things that come with storage bags - and he purchased additional Royobi bags that I've labeled for air compressor, hand vac, search light, drill, etc.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #11

We use the "grip" cabinet shelf liner and then we use the following to put our plates, cups, and mugs .
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JcTe2rG6L.jpg DW puts paper plates in between the dishes so that they don't raddle. She puts cups on a cup dry rack from BBByond . This holds the cups and glasses in place. Pots and pans are put in Oven with a towel between each one so that they don't raddle. For the Pantry we use storage containers that we got a Costco.
For Medicine cabinet we use containers we got at Lowe's.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #12

Child Safety Locks

We have used child safety locks similar to the attached photo in our last few rigs. We liked them because they keep the door secure while in transit but once you arrive they can be folded out of the way.

The doors on the Greyhawk are, so far, way more secure so I have not had to worry... Fingers crossed they stay that way
Attached Images

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #13

For things like the toaster and coffee maker (things you set out on counter) I purchased one of those trunk organizers that has two sections. We put those kinds of things in there and they ride under the table. When we set up, the trunk organizer folds up and can be stored out of site.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #14

We have several Rubbermaid plastic containers that we put all the dishes, mugs, pots, pans, etc. they fit tightly in the cabinets. The coffee pot and a few other small appliances go under the dinette seats. We use Corelle dishes so there is less chance of any breakage. We pack everything tightly enough that nothing will rattle around and break. After two 8-hour (one way) trips and one 12-hour trip and many shorter trips we have never had a problem.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #15

We always use caution when opening the cabinets when we first set up. Generally no issues, but once in a while a travel mug or can of something wants to jump out. Travel speed also is a big issue. Take your time and the chances of re-arranging all the cupboards goes down significantly
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
We have used child safety locks similar to the attached photo in our last few rigs. We liked them because they keep the door secure while in transit but once you arrive they can be folded out of the way.

The doors on the Greyhawk are, so far, way more secure so I have not had to worry... Fingers crossed they stay that way
Where did you find the ones that fold out of the way when you don't need them? I've searched quite a bit tonight with no luck. Though, I guess it wouldn't be too bad to have them working all the time - we'd just have to get used to it.

Love your name btw.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #17

If you are looking for the "swivel latches" you can find them here.

KidCo 12 Pack Swivel Cabinet and Drawer Locks - KIDCO, INC. - Babies "R" Us
Designer Women is offline   Reply With Quote