Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Storing Camper Off Site - Not at your House

We are currently able to store our Camper at our house. I have 30 Amp power, Water and Sewer hookup which I use to thoroughly clean out the tanks after each trip. Our house and the fence it is behind shades it well, the tires never see daylight unless it is pulled out etc.

We are looking to move from our current home which is a feat in itself (not an easy decision but health issues drive the change) for us as our family has owned it for 52 yrs and I have lived in it for 30 of those. One of my main requirements was to be able to keep our Camper at home, preferably with an RV Shed and actually found an almost perfect house and property with a 30' X 36' Full walled shed already built with power and water BUT it backs up to I-95 and the road noise is unbearable to enjoy being outside so we have moved on from that one... for now. We could deal with the noise but if we ever needed to sell it, it would be very difficult.

So... we have found a home which meets 95% of our (100% of the Wife's ) needs with the 5% not being able to keep our Camper at the house. We can store overnight or 2 but can't keep it there long term as there is not enough room on the sides, though I will be able to add 50 Amp power for it.

If the deal goes thru I will now have to store it, storage where we live is limited but the owner of the best storage place (which is always full) is our neighbor so we are currently on the top of the list to get in.

Questions I have are...

How do you guys prepare your campers for storage from a battery drain and humidity management situation? (I have always had ours plugged in keeping the battery topped off and run dehumidifiers in the camper at all times).

What is the going storage cost in your respective area?

Do you cover it? I will at least get tire covers. (We are in Florida, currently ours is shaded most of the day)

What do you / can you do from a security stand point?

Probably not much, if they want in they will get in, currently ours is behind a locked gate on the side of our house, which gives you a lot of piece of mind. Storage spot would be 8 miles away, is in a highly visible area, gated etc and as far as I know there have been no issues there... but still not the same as tucked away at home.

Any other advice?

Thanks...
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #2

That market place is starting to get crazy with all the growth. The space coast kinda needs a bit of an infusion.

We currently store ours (a tich further out then you will), at a storage lot for $40 a month. It is uncovered, 24 hour access with pin pads at the entrance, gravel surfaces, cameras, and a dump station. Hopefully when we move this summer we will be able to store it at the house.

Best of luck finding a nice new place.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #3

I have to store my off site.

I remove the battery and connect it to a tender when no on the trailer. The lot is fenced, barbed wire, cameras, alarms and access only between 6 am to 10 pm with access code. The spots are gavel. Owner fully believes in the TX Castle law and is so posted. Owner lives on site.

No cover, after bad weather I go check on my trailer (3/4 miles from my home) and usually see covers blown off laying all over the place.

I have had my trailer there for 7 years an so far the lot has had no issues. Cost is $48 for a pull thru.

I clean out all food and put in a few "Damp rid" containers and occasionally stop by to add water to the toilet and P-traps for the sinks, check for leaks, mice etc.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
Site Team

I store mine in a fenced in lot, with security cameras, and you need a ID badge to enter. It's $40/month and it's practically across from my office so I check on it a couple times a week.

It's uncovered and I prefer that so I can go in it when I'm checking on it.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #5

I checked on mine weekly when I had it stored. I bought a solar battery charger from Harbor Freight, it has several plug in leads, I put the panel in a window that saw sun several hours a day, and used the cigarette type plug to plug into the trailers accessory socket.

That's all I did.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:05 AM   #6

We currently store ours off site (wife's grandma's house), so one of the things I did was install a battery cut off switch. Pics in my signature mods link. Went that route instead of a solar panel due to trees blocking the windows. Tires sit on 2x10's, and covered.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #7

Check with your insurance agent. When we added our FW, the carrier very specifically asked where it would be stored. Since we had installed a gravel pad it was a non-issue. But it could make a difference in premiums, or coverage if there is a claim.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #8

As a seasonal site camper, our camper stays at the campground year round. The drawback for this is that I don't get to check on it too often. The CG is 130 miles from home. The CG owner lives onsite which give me piece of mind regarding security. I haven't seen my camper since last December. I have 365 access to it but I haven't had time to take an entire day to go check it. The CG owner does regular checks around the park so I would be notified of anything obvious. We have about 6 weeks until opening day! I can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #9

We store our RV at an HOA storage lot. $100 per year. Gravel ,uncovered

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Decrows2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #10

I pay $480 per year for storage. Lot has barbed wire fences and video security as well as punch card access. Used to cover it, don't anymore.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #11

I only pay $30 a month on a gravel lot. It is on a site where the owner lives and has private business' (dog kennel, U-haul & Christmas Trees). It only has one camera when you first come in.
No problems so far.
I want to get a cover but haven't yet (hoping it will help during winter months??)

I take battery home when parked for any length of time.I recently bought a battery charger but have been having issues keeping it charged? It has 2 amp trickle charge & 6 & booster starter. But when I put it on trickle it automatically shuts off after a day or so but is not charged fully? Any ideas?

Storage in my area (Cincinnati OH) is usually $75 - $200 (per month) if you don't have a friend that has a barn, etc. so I think the prices so far on the thread are very reasonable!!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #12

I pay $65/mo but get a free month for paying for the year up front. I expect local storage will cost whatever the local market will bear. The lot is gravel but on the plus side for me is the water and sewer are close enough for me to access from my storage slot. The tires are on 2x10's and are covered. I use the battery disconnect and don't have any problems if it sits a month, any longer and I bring the battery home to charge.
There have been a couple of thefts and acts of vandalism over the 5 years I've stored there but (so far) I haven't had any problems.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
Site Team

I am just north of Clearwater FL (Dunedin) and our TT is parked next to the house behind a 6' privacy fence.

The 2 roof vents (front bedroom and bathroom) stay open 24/7 with the bathroom thermostat fan running when it gets warm in the TT. This keeps the ari circulating without worry of water getting in.

Two locks on the front tongue.

Battery: 250 watts of SOLAR keeps the batteries fully charged and fan running during the day. Do not use shore power at home.

Security: I have a remote motion sensor sitting in the TT (part of the home security system)
The battery boxes have remote window/door alarm sensors (also part of the home security system)

LP Tanks: lock through the top tank retainer.

It is nice to just leave it sitting and not worry about it.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #14

I store mine at home but I am kind of on the other side of the coin.

Currently there is my 25BH, a buddy keeps his Max Sport 23BH, Wife's Uncle keeps his Thor ACE 30.4 and my In-law's keep their Big Horn 3760 at our place.

The Thor is only at our place when they are not using it in the summer. So not covered. They take it to Key Largo for the winter.

The Big Horn has a car port and full hookups. It is covered in the winter anyhow.

Mine will be covered in winter only.

The Sport Max is also only covered in winter.

As for storage, most places charge by the foot. Rates will vary based on location, amount of security and such.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #15

I pay $45 per month to store our TT in a barn on a farm 35 miles from our home. I like the idea of having it out of the elements and direct sunshine when we aren't using it. We drive out weekly to check on it. Right now, our camper is empty, I "trust" that no one is going to steal our two propane tanks or spare tire. Once we begin using our TT, I will install a battery with shutoff switch, not sure about finding a way to lock the battery in place. I will find a way to secure the propane tanks and spare tire.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #16

Nothing like keeping it at home inside a building. I'd keep looking for a different house if you have time.
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #17

Thanks to all for the info! Still looks like we are going to have to Store it offsite, the owner of the lot is a current neighbor of mine so I know it will be in a good spot.

Looking to possible buy some land on the Island later on and create a Camp and put up a building to keep in someday.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #18

There is nothing better than having your RV right at home. We pay nothing extra to have it here at our fingertips. Need to do some periodic maintenance - ready. Need to prep for next weeks trip - ready. We have three staffed 24/7 K9 Security guards watching it. It can stay plugged in, keeping the batteries maintained.

And the best part... we can come back home later in the evening from a long trip, pull into our spot and just plug into shore power - and empty it out later in the week.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
There is nothing better than having your RV right at home. We pay nothing extra to have it here at our fingertips. Need to do some periodic maintenance - ready. Need to prep for next weeks trip - ready. We have three staffed 24/7 K9 Security guards watching it. It can stay plugged in, keeping the batteries maintained.

And the best part... we can come back home later in the evening from a long trip, pull into our spot and just plug into shore power - and empty it out later in the week.
Man... rubbing it in. That's what I may have to give up...
Old 05-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #20

I am in the process of buying a new Jay flight 26bh. The two storage facilities within a half mile were already full. I put my name on a list. Grrrrr I did find a uhaul 6 miles away for now at $100 a month! Definitely don't like this option but it will have to work until I figure something out. My town says you're not allowed to park large boats or rvs in driveway or in front of the house on street so that's not an option. Gonna keep looking for better options. In the winter time I can store it at our home in the PA mountains but that's 2 hrs away and I would be worried about field mice having a field day and the harsh winters up there. I was told to check a local marina since they usually have hookups and power.
I don't want the storage issue to deter me from buying and making some great memories with my family!
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote