Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

Storing Unit - Gravel, Concrete?

We will be moving our Greyhawk to our new home in the Adirondacks. Going to store it on our property. How should the pad be constructed? Likely going to be gravel. Size gravel and how thick? Should I tarp under the RV? Thanks for any tips.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Site Team

We made the mistake of spreading out 2" of sea shells (we live in FL), 4 years later we have CRUSHED sea shells. We are thinking of replacing the shells with 2" stones, they hold up better. We also put the weed guard screen under the shells, that has worked great for keeping the weeds out. As long as you do not have grass or weeds under the TT, there is no need for a ground tarp, the bottom of the TT is high enough above the ground so it doesn't trap moisture under it like a car does.
If you can do concrete, that is the way to go.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #3

Gravel is great, its pretty cheap and non-permanent if you decide to sell the house or relocate the camper.

I would likely remove the topsoil layer and get down to your subsoil, then backfill with gravel. Therefore I would recommend whatever thickness of topsoil that you remove. If you need more after a couple years... just add another layer.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

put landscaping fabric under the gravel or crushed rocks.. that will keep weeds from growing up but let moisture through
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
put landscaping fabric under the gravel or crushed rocks.. that will keep weeds from growing up but let moisture through
They make a heavier duty fabric for under gravel construction entrances that keeps the rock from sinking in the mud/dirt. Keeps the rock looking fresh for years. Any fabric though after years of use will have weeds growing in decomposed leaves and other stuff that gets in between the rocks and the fabric. Easier to pull the weeds though and does block most of the weeds.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #6

The guy who did my storage space dug down 4" and placed a thick weed barrier down. He then filled it in with 3/4" modified gravel that he graded slightly to one corner for water run off. The modified has actually hardened a bit like blacktop. No weeds and no water puddles.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #7

I just built a pad at my house, in Florida. I used 5 tons of crushed concrete (the location I built the pad was not level, so I had one side that had to be built up). The overall average of the pad is about 4 inches to 5 inches thick. I put standard black weed fabric underneath the crushed concrete. Landscape company charged me like $240 bucks (give or take a few dollars) to deliver the 5 tons to my house. They dropped it where I was constructing the pad and I spread it and leveled by hand. I then used my TV to compact it by slowing driving back and forth moving over slightly each time until the entire pad was compacted. I used landscaping timbers to frame in the U shape design where the crushed concrete was being placed. Those will last about 3 years in the FL environment, then I will replace them with landscape stones that match our other landscape stone.

When the TT is stored on the pad I park it with two pieces of pressure treated wood under the tires, so that the tires are not directly on the ground. The tires are covered with tire covers. I also have the shore power 30amp service where I park it on the side of my house, and I route the power cord down the side of the TT suspended in the air on the back bumper and plugged in, keeping it off the ground keeps bugs and such from using it as a highway into my TT.

The only thing with the crushed concrete is to remember to place a flat rock or piece of wood on top of the crushed concrete where your AC runs off, so as not to create a deep whole in the crushed concrete.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

Item IV!

Packs down and stays put. If you keep the RV over it more than 80% of the camping months, nothing will grow under the RV.

Downside is water drainage. It won't!

Freshen it every 2-3 years to keep the parking place truly level.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #9

we have concrete i really like it always a clean walkway to the TT