Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
I agree about the cutters. But you gotta come prepared, I'm just hoping to increase my odds. Putting it inside is the best answer.

RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #22
Anyone here ever try to cut a cable with bolt cutters? You would do better with a pair of dikes, chewing at it a few strands at a time. A standard padlock, however, will fail under a decent pair of bolt cutters. You would have to use one of those circular padlocks to defeat bolt cutters.

Nothing short of a pair of armed guards will keep a determined thief from stealing a surge arrestor. The lock and cable will discourage the casual thief who sees an opportunity. Better is to install a hardwired version inside.

Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #23
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Any self-respecting thief
Isn't that a contradiction of words .
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #24

I bought one of these at the ST Louis RV show yesterday for $85.00. Seemed like a good investment. I had to replace an inverter in a popup camper in the past because of a bad power pole at the campground.
2013 Eagle 31.5 RLTS, 2016 Ford F-250 Lariat w/tow pacakge, Crew, 6.7
chas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #25
We worry as much about over/under voltage and miswired receptacles as much as surges. We like camping along the beach, so that means lots of state parks and other campgrounds in the salt air with buried power lines in salt water saturated sand - not the best environment for electicity. We use the above mentioned Progressive Industries unit secured with a premium quality bike lock (which seems to be pretty bolt cutter resistant, but if somebody really wants it, there is not much you can do). I think it has saved our A/C compressor motor from low voltage damage, and one time while camping in the Keys, a thunderstorm took out the surge protector. A couple of other Rv's lost their convertor/charges during that storm. We had to send the Progressive unit back to the factory to be repaired, but there was no charge, and they had back to use right away.
Bill and Kate
Stone Harbor, NJ
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 29N (Salty Dog House)
2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E350 Van 6.0 TD (Moby)
Reese Pro Series SC Hitch
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #26
OK, I am completely sold on the EMC. I am going to go with the Progressive Industries one, but I have not decided about the hard-wired one or portable. Now to my newbie question for the people who have the hard-wired one. Did you just cut the power cord and mount the EMC in the cord compartment, or do you have to put it somewhere else on the rig? I am completely new to RVing and am not sure of way around any hidden compartments at the moment. But I am competent doing electrical things, so a cord splice is within my capabilities.

Rick & Pattie
Guinness & Monty 4-leggers
2010 Greyhawk FK
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
I just installed my Progressive Idustries EMS HW30C in my TT and it went pretty well.(I'm no electrician, just handy) Easy really other than working in tight spaces. All I had to buy was 4'($2/ft) of 30a 600v power cable(easier to work with than Romex) removed shore line power cord from back of TT breaker panel(take pics/video of existing wiring connections/locations if needed before removal). Rerouted to EMS mounting location(since no space in existing area), hardwired to EMS, stripped both ends of 4ft. cable, hooked one end to EMS, other end back to breaker, made connections and done. Ran remote and wire(it's wired w/data cable, included) inside/under cabinets, out from behind existing outlet faceplate and attached to cabinet w/double sided tape etc. Never had to drill a hole in cabinets etc other than 4 screws to mount. The EMS can be mounted horizontal, vertical, on floor, upside down whatever according to P.I. I feel really good about purchase even though it's $260 it's peace of mind and protection. Out of sight, out of mind, not exposed to weather and won't grow legs and walk off.
2010 Jayco Jay Feather 23k
2004 F150 Lariat SCrew 4x4 5.4L 3.73
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #28
I installed mine under the fridge behind the converter. It was tight, but made it easy....just cut the orig cord and put it inline. Ran the remote cable behind the counter and fished it up the wall so the display mounts just above the tank panel - no wires showing at all.

It has been a life saver on a couple of occasions - esp for low voltage situations.
2009 Jayco 26BH
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #29
a simple protector! just tie an overhand knot in all power cords & single wires before a connection,was taught this in my youth by a very old electrician that started his apprentiship the 1920's .
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #30
OK Poohbear, I am certainly no electrician yet a fairly handy person and never hear this. What does an overhand not in the line do?

clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote