Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Take New Trailer back to original store for warranty repairs?

My wife and I are the proud new parents of a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RDB. We picked it up about a month and a half ago, and have been on 3 "shakedown" weekend trips with it. Overall, things have gone well, but we have noticed a couple of items that we think will need to be repaired under warranty:

(1) The electrical heating side for our water heater does not work. The water heater works fine on gas, but not on electricity.

(2) The 30 amp fuse on the battery box has blown 5-6 times. This started the first night when we brought the trailer home.

(3) The sink drain was not tightened, and leaked under the cabinet, causing some minor water damage to a piece of cabinet molding.

We bought this camper off the lot of a Camping World about 3 hours from our house, as it was part of the year-end stock they were trying to get rid of. There are several Camping World locations that are much closer to us. Should I make the effort to take the Trailer back where I bought it for the repairs, or does that not really matter? I would love to save myself a trip.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #2

Any Jayco dealer is capable (and will be reimbursed) of doing warrantee repairs.

Take it to where you are comfortable.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #3

From what I read online, service departments at different Camping World locations can vary significantly. Any way to check the reputations of the CWs you are considering to see if one has a better reputation?

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Strange as it sounds, there are apparently RV dealers who won't perform warranty work on brands they sell if they didn't sell that particular unit to you. Seems a little weird to me, but not to others. My advice would be to call whichever dealer you want to use and tell them your situation. They will let you know if they're willing to do the work.

Jim
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

If you have an elect jack post, did the fuses blow while it was in use. If you run it up or down too far, it will blow the fuse. If it isn't the post, sound like something is shorting, and needs to be traced down!
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
If you have an elect jack post, did the fuses blow while it was in use. If you run it up or down too far, it will blow the fuse. If it isn't the post, sound like something is shorting, and needs to be traced down!
+1

And if it is the jack running to its limits that's blowing the fuse, consider replacing with a circuit breaker. Always carry plenty of a wide assortment of fuses in your kit anyway, but a simple circuit breaker will help here.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

Plenty of people buy from one place and get service somewhere else. You may run into trouble from time to time, but you don't want to get work done somewhere they don't want your/Jayco's business anyway. You don't have to use camping world either. Look around and see who else near you will work with the Jayco warranty and see if they might be a better fit.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #8

Water heater; check the 120 volt ac circuit breaker. My dealer recommended to flip the breaker off if there is no water in the tank so you do not accidently turn on the electric heater and burn up the element. The red indicator light on the switch will turn on as it is powered from 12 volt dc.

Have an electric tongue jack? Does the fuse blow when you are using it? You can buy a 30 amp self reseting circuit breaker.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

These are great replies! Thanks to all!

I don't know if I can find reviews of service centers, but I will look around. I will also be sure when I contact the service shop I want to use that there is no issue relative to where I bought the unit.

The fuse does seem to be blowing when I use the electric jack - which is tied directly to the battery connection. I will see if using the 30 amp breaker solves that problem.

You've all been a GREAT HELP!
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #10

Reference the water heater, we have a 2013 Pinnacle and our primary water heater electric power switch is on the tank monitor panel inside the rig, along with the propane water heater switch. There is also a secondary electric switch outside on the water heater, lower left as you look at it with the cover off. If that switch is off, the inside switch will not turn the water heater on no matter what. Also, make sure you never turn on the electric switch without the water heater being full of water, otherwise it will burn out the heating element.
nfd0800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs, warranty