Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

Taking delivery of a new RV - Tips?

So I am taking delivery tomorrow of a new 1007UD Pop up. Can you please pass on your wisdom on what to watch out for or are there any things I should buy right away?? We are new to camping and this is our first pop up.
cyprant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

Since this is your first PUP, I would insure that your RV dealer gives you a detailed set-up and walk through. It's important that you understand how everything operates rather then have difficulty at a campground. Many folks will actually do a trial camp-out in their driveway or backyard for a couple days, helps with identifying a list of "needs".

Below is a JOF link for a detailed PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), you may want to make a copy and highlite the items that would be applicable to your PUP.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18379

Also, advise your dealership in advance that you will require the time for a complete PDI, and if the weather isn't ideal if they would be kind enough to pull the PUP inside.

Hope this is a good start.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #3

Once the dealer shows you how to do something, ask that you get to do it yourself while they watch and coach. Don't be rushed
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

My advice is take your time with the inspection. Take lots of notes and pictures (even video if you want). Make them explain it several times to you if you need and go slow. Don't let them rush you (they will try) and make sure they show you how everything works. The do it yourself while they watch to make sure you do it right. Don't sign any paperwork to say it is delivered until you are satisfied that you understand everything and everything works the way it should. Pay particular attention to water, electrical, and heating systems. Make them show you how to set up the awning (it is a pain the first time) and how to properly hook and unhook from your car. Do you have electric or surge brakes? If so make sure you know how to use them. There is a special back up lever you have to flip or you will damage surge brakes. If you know someone else who already camps, bring them along. They might know questions to ask that you would never think about.

Create a check list of everything that needs to be done in order to set up and take down your PUP. I learned the hard way more than once that if I did things in the wrong order I had to go back and redo them because I forgot something. For example, just last weekend I folded down the sink and couch and then realized I had not yet taken down the poles for the back bed. Up went the couch and sink so I could reach the pole.

On another occasion I set up the entire rig trying to beat a storm and decided to wait to set up the water later. I forgot the hose and gray tank were stored in the front storage compartment that was inaccessible with the front bed slid out. I had to wait for the next morning to set up water because of the storm and my haste.

Gear you will need right away:

Leveling and Towing
Trailer Tongue Jack Stand
RV Leveling Blocks
Chocks
RV Level Bubbles
Towing Mirrors
Trailer Coupler Locks

Water
Water Hose (white RV/Marine - never green garden hose)
90 degree Water Hose Elbow and or Y connector if you want

Electric
30 amp GFCI Surge Guard
30 amp Extension Cord
15 amp to 30 amp adapter
AC Voltage Meter

Waste Water
Portable Gray Water Tote
Hose to connect tote to trailer
Porta Potti (if you want)

Obviously you will want to bring cooking gear, food, fire starting gear, fun activities, clothing, personal care items, etc.

Hope this helps and congrats on the new trailer! Where is your first trip?

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #5

I would only add to avoid buying any kind of "starter kit" they might offer. For one, you won't need everything in it. And second, most of it is cheaper versions of things you will want to replace later.

As said, if you can do a trial in your driveway. When we bought our PUP new, and when we bought our first HTT, we went for a weekend to a private CG about 30 minutes from home. By the end of each of those weekends we had lists of things we wanted/needed, a lot of which can be purchased at the dollar store. The things that were trailer related we either bought online or when we did buy them from the dealer we knew exactly what we had to have.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

Congrats on your purchase and good luck with your PDI. As others have stated, I would highly encourage the "camp driveway" for one or two nights to get used to how everything works and to make sure you packed everything. Take a notebook with you and write down things to remember that you might not have packed.

Good luck!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #7

So there were a few things that needed attention and then the tech ripped my screen door and he had to replace my screen, more on that later... My question now is: is it normal for my battery box to have a positive and negative wires Hanging out of the top and going where ever they go? It just doesn't look "finished". I'm not sure what to expect, but figured it would have looked nicer, if not Thats cool too.. Just here to find out what you all think.
cyprant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #8

Ya, the wires hanging out of the battery box does look kind of tacky, but that's normal. You can dress them up a little with some of the wire wrap (looks like a corrugated hose) that's available at most office or hardware stores. Just make sure it won't collect water, as that could rust out the wires.

Enjoy your new PUP, and Happy Camping!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #9

Your going to have blast.....enjoy!

^^ Like Brownie said ^^ I wrapped my battery wires in black automotive wire wrap - bound with tiny black wire ties.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyprant View Post
snip..... Just here to find out what you all think.
Don't forget to start a new thread with some pics of your new 1007UD PUP over here:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/fo...=31&order=desc

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote