Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Tech Gadget Suggestions - Last Minute Christmas Ideas?

Here are some cool items/ideas to do with your camper that you may not have known about.

1) If your CG has wifi, but you get a poor or no signal then you can purchase this. It plugs via usb into your laptop. You simply point the dish in the direction of where the wifi is being broadcast from. This device will greatly improve your signal strength, and also allow you to see wifi hot spots a bit further away. This device only works on a device with a usb like a laptop or desktop computer. The device won't help you if it's a rainy day and a lot of people are on wifi at the same time, but as long as it's a normal day without a lot of traffic it works awesome.

2) You can plug your iphone/ipad/laptop or any other device that has a headphone jack on it into your radio as long as it has the headphone jack input. Usually called an AUX input. Here you go.

3) If you're looking for more of a portable/wireless solution to the cable above then you would look into an FM transmitter. Here it is. . You would still plug the ipad/iphone or whatever into this unit, but then this unit broadcast an FM signal. All you have to do is tune your camper radio to the station being broadcast by the transmitter and you'll have your music. This is a good option because it lets you keep the ipad/iphone wherever you are and allows you to change songs without getting up. I use it all the time in the x17z that doesn't have outdoor speakers. I simply plug my ipod into this fm transmitter. I turn the x17z radio to the correct station and I'll have my music. When I'm outside I use a battery powered radio and set it to the same station. This gives me the same music playing inside and outside the TT.

4) I know camping isn't about watching TV, here are some good items to improve your experience. If you have the Winegard TV antennae then look at the Wingman adapter. It attaches to your antennae and gives you more channels to watch. I'd say it practically doubled the amount of channels I got. Sure, some of them were repeated channels or stuff I would never watch but it does work.

If you're not happy with OTA cable and don't want to pay for satellite TV then look into a slingbox. This is a little device that connects between your HOME tv and your HOME cable box. This device will allow you to watch and control your HOME tv from almost any internet connection in the world. My wife went to Spain a few years ago and was able to watch our bedroom TV from there. Whatever channels you get at home, you get while you're away. Even recorded DVR stuff. There is absolutely NO FEE to use this service. All you pay for is the slingbox itself at the store and then you're done.

So when you're camping you can watch your home TV on your ipod, iphone, ipad, laptop or just about any internet device. If you have the proper connections you can even plug these devices into your TV to get a larger screen. Of course, all of this requires wifi or cell service at the CG.

5) Ever see a camper have all their marker lights on even though they are not hooked to their truck? It's a simple fix. Here's a basic 7 way trailer plug. All you have to do is insert a 15A fuse between the #3 and #4 spots on the plug. This will make a connection between the TT battery and the tail/running lights so that all the outdoor lights will be on. Some people don't like seeing these lights on so use at your own risk. Also, use at your own risk in case of a malfunction. Click image for larger version

Name:	2011329163645_Connector_7pin_RV_trailer.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	5915

6) Don't you just hate when you want to open your screen door and you have to slide the white panel just to access the lever to open the door? It's not hard or time consuming, but it is a stupid design. All you have to do is install this little device and you can open your screen door WITHOUT having to slide the white panel. Here you go. I have no experience with this product as I just got 3 of them today to give as Christmas gifts, but these are really a no brainer when you think about it. Why are these NOT a standard feature on all campers?

Kind of along the same lines, here is an automatic screen door closer. Never worry about kids leaving the screen door open letting bugs inside. Screen door closer. Again, I have no experience with this.

Of course you have other additions such as power tongue jacks, led lights, etc.. I just wanted to give you some ideas that you might not have thought about or knew they existed.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

Thanks for the suggestions.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #3

good stuff, thanks for some ideas.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote