Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #1

Television Reception Question

Hopefully I can explain this correctly. I have a 2012 32TSBH. It came with a LCD tv in the living area. The campground we stay at has cable. When I hook up to the cable, I get all the standard definition cable channels as well as about 5 HD channels. The HD channels are the local HD stations. It is my understanding that in order to receive local HD stations that you must have an antenna, since basic cable does not transmit HD channels. I recently installed a 19 inch LED tv in the bedroom, where I hooked it up to the cable connection on the wall. I get all of the cable channels, but none of the HD channels, that I receive on the set in the living area! I guess it could be the tv, it is a cheapie, but something makes me think it is not. I have a cable connection in the bunkhouse, but all I have ever had hooked up to it is a tube/crt type tv, so I am not sure if the same is true back there. (TT is stored far away so it is not an easy check). Something leads me to believe that perhaps the TV in the living area, is somehow hooked up to my antenna on the TT roof. That would explain why I receive the local HD channels on that set. Apparently, the bedroom cable connection is not hooked up to the antenna, thus no local HD channels. I am sure the same is probably true for the bunkhouse connection as well. How do I get the same connection that I have on the living area set, to both the bedroom and the bunkhouse? Is there a switch, or a connection that I might be missing? TIA
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #2

Many folks have problems using the trailer's system. First, your antenna booster must be turned off for cable, on for over-the-air. Also, go into setup on your tv and make sure it's set for Cable and then run scan. Default is usually Air. Beyond that, search this and other sites as this is often discussed.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

Thanks, I am assuming that the antenna booster is off as that I am using cable on all 3 sets. Also, I did set it to scan using cable. I tried Air to see if it made a difference, and I only got a few channels in the bedroom, none of which where HD. What confuses me is how I get local HD channels on the living room set when it is not connected to the antenna!

Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #4

I would scan many channels on the living area tv, then get different ones on the bdrm set and lose the ones that were in the living area set. After a while I bypassed the OEM system and ran cable directly from my satellite into my receiver and split off of that to both tvs. Never use air or cable, and just watch DVR recordings if we're just stopping for the night. That was my solution.
'14 Denali XL
Old 11-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

When I scan "off air" I get more channels in the bedroom than on the main TV. The bedroom TV is newer and was replaced under warranty. I think year and brand does make a difference when using the antenna.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #6

Upon doing some outside research, I think I have answered my own question. Since my TT is far away, it will be a while before I can verify it. Anyways, for those of you that have experience a similar problem as mine I hope this explains it. First of all, by federal law, cable companies are required to carry local HD channels. That explains why the RCA LCD in the living area receives those 5 HD channels. Secondly, once again by federal law, all TV's are now required to have a digital tuner built into them. This is where the problem starts. There are a couple of different digital tuners. One is called an ATSC tuner and another is called a QAM tuner. Either one or both must be in all new TV's. The problem is, is that the ATSC tuner will not pick up and or decode HD channels. The QAM tuner, both picks up and decodes HD channels. I don't have the manual for my RCA set, but being it is a more major brand, than the small Curtis set, it probably has a QAM tuner. I did look up the specs on the cheap Curtis model and it only has an ATSC tuner, thus no HD channels without a cable box. Lesson learned here is that once again, you get what you pay for. On Black Friday, I picked up a 24 inch Samsung LED for the bunkhouse, and today when I looked, it has both the ATSC and QAM tuner built in. Hope this helps others with a similar problem.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

I truly hope you've found the answer. Be sure to post your results when you get to test your reception.
'14 Denali XL