Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

tell me why not to cover my camper with a tarp?

i have read opinions both ways
can i get some opinions here?
robert421960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #2

I would NEVER cover my rig..... I have seen too much damage done from those covers.. If they are not tightened properly or work lose they flap and do damage to the exterior finish. They can also cause moisture problems inside your rig... and are a major pain to put on.. esp if you are older.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #3

The service manager at Jayco said they see far more damage from tarps than anything else. The reasons are as posted by Seann.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #4

trailer cover

I've used a cover for several years now and never had a problem. The secret is to tighten them down so they don't flap.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #5

In a perfect world in which protection dollars and available parking room was NO concern, I'd build an RV shelter for my RV/TT. Something solid - that keeps the snow and spring heavy rains off my TT's Roof. For example: https://www.sheltersofamerica.com/pr...5549ef07c4.jpg

Since I cannot built such a solid structure at my my seasonal camp site, I simply leave its roof open. Every 6 month (spring and fall), I hand clean its roof. And, I apply Protect-All Roof Treatment to it. Thus, allowing its UV exposed surface to remain soft and allow it have more water resistant. Just like exposed hands, adding treatment to keep them soft and water resistant is a good thing. This is my 2nd choice RV/TT Roof protection choice.

Personally, I heard too many horror stories about tarps creating a destructive moisture barrier. Moinsture, lack of drying and mould is very bad on roofs. And, flapping tarps create damage in high winds as well.

Just like my vehicles, I hand wax my TT's sides and front every 6 months. Thus, allowing better protection in micro-cracks and help repel water. And I apply Protect-All Roof treatment twice a year as well. re: http://www.protectall.com/rrtlong.aspx

Note: If my RV/TT was under a hard top protected cover, I'd still wash and treat my roof a minimum 1 time per year.

This works for me and my many previous RVs/TTs.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #6

This is the first year I have covered my TT. I covered mine with the Adco aqua shield
which is a breathable cover. The buckle straps run underneath the trailer from one side to the other. We had 40-50 mph winds this morning and the cover was totally secure with no flapping. I'll see what it looks like when I remove it in March for my trip to Daytona. I would never put a "tarp" over it, but I think the newer better quality covers are OK. Only time will tell.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #7

Take a trip to a boat storage yard in early spring and you will see why boat owners have the same debate. Tattered covers beating boats into submission, 100 gallons of water pooled in a sagging tarp stretching the life lines, bowsprit and bending windshield frames. Then you'll see boats covered with good fitting covers and frames, thoughtfully tied on that have met their objective of fending off rain, snow and sun. Those owners pop off the covers and, assuming they waxed at the end of the season, there is virtually no above the water line finish work to be done.

I'm one of the latter guys and I have owned boats that after 10 years still have a factory fresh gel coat sheen. I have covered cars in the winter and left them outside for up to six months with awesome results (I do start them monthly).

Cars, boats and RV's can be covered with great results. The covers need to fit and be thoughtfully attached (this may require a grommet tool , some slit tennis balls to round sharp edges and your own straps as well as some framing work). Most importantly, you have to check on it - a lot. Monthly is not enough. Weekly is the rule of thumb.

I've often wondered why people don't cover their $600 gas grills - I'm sure they debate that too.
4dimnzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #8

After 35 years and many RV's I have never covered our RV's. The paint finishes today are so good you don't need a cover. But if you have to why not shrink wrap it like boat owners do.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post
In a perfect world in which protection dollars and available parking room was NO concern, I'd build an RV shelter for my RV/TT. Something solid - that keeps the snow and spring heavy rains off my TT's Roof. For example: https://www.sheltersofamerica.com/pr...5549ef07c4.jpg

Since I cannot built such a solid structure at my my seasonal camp site, I simply leave its roof open. Every 6 month (spring and fall), I hand clean its roof. And, I apply Protect-All Roof Treatment to it. Thus, allowing its UV exposed surface to remain soft and allow it have more water resistant. Just like exposed hands, adding treatment to keep them soft and water resistant is a good thing. This is my 2nd choice RV/TT Roof protection choice.

Personally, I heard too many horror stories about tarps creating a destructive moisture barrier. Moinsture, lack of drying and mould is very bad on roofs. And, flapping tarps create damage in high winds as well.

Just like my vehicles, I hand wax my TT's sides and front every 6 months. Thus, allowing better protection in micro-cracks and help repel water. And I apply Protect-All Roof treatment twice a year as well. re: http://www.protectall.com/rrtlong.aspx

Note: If my RV/TT was under a hard top protected cover, I'd still wash and treat my roof a minimum 1 time per year.

This works for me and my many previous RVs/TTs.

That is what we are currently doing we poured a concrete pad and are going to purchase a metal roof cover to park our unit under.
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #10

I just realized that we are pretty fortunate (!) to have the side of our house cemented and shaded. During the late Spring - early Fall we have sun hit the roof part of the day, but it also doesn't get real hot here. The roof only gets hit with significant direct heat and sun when we travel through those sections of the country in the summer (when we wouldn't use a cover anyhow). Fall through Spring, we get some rain but never snow. We also wash our roof several times a year and wax it every Oct. Good luck with the cover issue, hope it works out for you
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #11

Excellent idea mustang. Glad you created a solid floor & roof "hard shelter" for your TT.

During my "towing years" with a shorter 19ft TT, I wanted to pour a cement pad with "hard top" structure at the side of my home as well. Darn authoritizes were called in (by my PITA neighbour) and in the end, I had to can that idea. Instead, I built a pad of 24" x 24" patio stones - sitting on 3" of gravel. Did large 6 stones wide by 12 stones long. Since patio stones are NOT considered a permanent structure, I completed the project (using "portable materials"). And my PITA neighbour put his tail between his legs and crawled away.

Before building your "hard shelter", do investigate your local building code. In some regions, a cememt pad with structure on it is considered tax-able. And, needs a building permit as well. But if removable (like patio stone pads), no permit is required.

Great idea in building hard top floor with hard top shelter.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
During my "towing years" with a shorter 19ft TT, I wanted to pour a cement pad with "hard top" structure at the side of my home as well. Darn authoritizes were called in (by my PITA neighbour) and in the end, I had to can that idea. Instead, I built a pad of 24" x 24" patio stones - sitting on 3" of gravel. Did large 6 stones wide by 12 stones long. Since patio stones are NOT considered a permanent structure, I completed the project (using "portable materials"). And my PITA neighbour put his tail between his legs and crawled away.

Before building your "hard shelter", do investigate your local building code. In some regions, a cememt pad with structure on it is considered tax-able. And, needs a building permit as well. But if removable (like patio stone pads), no permit is required.

LOL... one of the reasons I'm glad we're 'fortunate'. We have a neighbor who was upset when we had a pop-up tent trailer (popped up) on the side yard a few years back. She complained (her back yard looks onto our side yard and she didn't like that view!). Now we have the Jayco tt back there. If we found the need to build a cover, I'm sure she would be b*tching from here to eternity LOL!

Definitely check with the county/city for building codes/permits. Here, we can only have a free standing structure if it is more than 10' from the roofline. If not, (like our rv pad) we would have to build it attached to the house.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #13

Cover your RV

I've 3 popups that were covered with the famous 'blue poly" not tied, but I then used a offical trailer cover with the straps that go under the trailer. I live in NH, so snow & ice covered it most of the winter. We never had any moisture or mold problems.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #14

I will chime in with my two cents on the subject. I have always covered my trailer with a good quality breathable cover, like the ADCO covers. If you install them properly they do indeed stay put and do not flap in the wind. The trick is to take your time and install them properly. Most newer covers have eyelets on the front and rear of the cover to take up excess slack and I tie those ends off to the the rear bumper and A Frame for added security. I don't care what you say about newer finishes, the finish and the decals will sun fade over time. I figure if I am not using my unit I might as well cover it and protect it. I have had no issues with scrapes, scuffs, or damage from the cover and imho they protect the unit during extended down time. When I have the spare cash I will invest in a Carolina Carport but until then, a good quality cover is my choice.
RSGentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #15

We never reccomend using a tarp as they are not breathable. We have several customers that bring their units to us in the spring and they are green and nasty. If you insist on using a tarp make sure you place something underneath it to keep it off the unit and allow air to pass through.

Just my professional opinion.
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #16

I would buy a cover. Adco covers are good and like said previously when they are installed properly, work awesome. I think people are crazy to use a tarp
lou1216gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #17

The Classic Covers are just as good as the ADCO, have a 3 year warranty and are normally less expensive. http://classicaccessories.com
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Excellent idea mustang. Glad you created a solid floor & roof "hard shelter" for your TT.

What did you use for a temporary roof?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Absolut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #19

I realize not everyone has the room or money for a metal cover, but if you do, you won't regret it. Mine is 41x14, cost $5800, and took a 4 man crew just 3.5 hours to install. I also use it to store ladders and stuff that I want to keep the sun off. Compared to the cost of the 31FS, I think it's good insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0102.jpg  
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #20

Just to be clear, by tarp I'm assuming you mean the Hardware store variety, Blue or silver.
I agree that it is not good for the unit.
An Adco RV type cover is breathable so it doesn't trap moisture, and still keeps sun off of the unit.
Are some of you saying that the RV covers (Adco type) are not helpful during long extended storage (Dec thru April around here)? I use the RV cover and also cover my tires for the long winter season.
Am I wasting my time and money?
I have wondered on more than one occasion, while driving by mega RV dealers with hundreds of units in the dead of winter, not one of their units are covered. Heck, I see slides out all year.
Maybe RV covers are a needless hassle ?
What about covering the tires?
Thoughts?
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote