Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #1

Test Run Before Jayco Purchase

Hi all! Getting ready to make purchase but decided to do a test run first. I want to be sure we're comfortable with size and weight for our TV and building storage access. So we're renting a 2015 Jayco SLX 267BH. that's about the size and weight I think i'll be comfortable with my 2016 GMC Sierra 1500.
We live in northern Illinois. So, does anybody have recommendations for some hilly roads so I can test towing capabilities in the Kentucky, Tennessee or Missouri area within 10-12 hours or so of Elgin, Illinois? Illinois is flat, so we're looking for hills in a good camping area without driving 20+ hours for first towing experience.

Thanks!!!!
GMCPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

Edited... My bad, I see you are wanting to head south.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Southern IND is part of the "Great Ohio Valley" and there are good places there. O'Bannon Woods State Park is one idea off of I-64 outside of Corydon IN.
Also Northern KY and Southern OH have some hilly places to camp. OH has alot of State Parks to go camping in!
My sister lives in Carol Streams and I lived in Oak Park as a child. I loved going up into Wisconsin last summer to explore Apostle Islands. Wisconsin is a beautiful state to go RVing!
Happy Trails

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #4

Doesn't have to be south, just figured we may as well go 10-15 degrees warmer for the week. Southern Indiana sounds good, thank you!

Eng45ine; Did you have suggestions for north of me? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #5

Kayakterp, how do you like your Jayflight 27BH??
Old 04-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #6

Southwestern Wisconsin has some hills. Not the Rockies or Smokies but still give you an idea before you hit real mountains.

Ton of stuff to do there. Don't miss Galena on the way up. Nice bicycle rail trails all across Wisconsin.

I live in Peoria, IL area.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPapa View Post
Doesn't have to be south, just figured we may as well go 10-15 degrees warmer for the week. Southern Indiana sounds good, thank you!

Eng45ine; Did you have suggestions for north of me? Thanks.
We do all of our camping in Wisconsin, not sure the terrain will give your TV the test you are hoping to get. Although I have never camped there as yet, I would also recommend the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the region is gorgeous.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Kayakterp, how do you like your Jayflight 27BH??
Just noticed your message. It's my first trailer and I really like it.
Hard to compare it to others as I've never had one before.
I like the floor plan layout. A couple things I wish I had was the dining table of the 28' I like the idea of the seating going around the table in a 'U shape' so I can put my dog up on the seat instead of him at my feet all the time (lol) He doesn't beg for food and we don't feed him from the table so that's not an issue.
Also am not crazy about the placement of the TV. I just realized last time we went camping that it does swivel out just barely enough for my wife & I to sit on the couch together.
I like the LED lights, power awning, and some of the other stuff the SLX doesn't offer.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #9

I forgot to mention that I wish I had the double potable water holding tanks (38 gal each) as we tend to run out after 3 days of camping at the State Parks because they don't offer water spigots at each site. The Elite package offers the 2 FW tanks

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #10

Thanks for the great information Kayakterp! This will be very helpful in our decision-making process.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #11

Well we've decided to head down towards Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge Tennessee area. Hills should be a good test.

Picked up rental trailer and getting alot of porpoising up and down. The Jay Flight SLX267BHWS is only 5700 pounds, and i'm pulling it with 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 rated for 9100 lbs. They put a weight distributing hitch on (solid bar type) and he said that would minimize if not eliminate porpoising, but doesn't seem to be helping.
Is there any way to eliminate or reduce this, and if not, will 1000 mile roundtrip hurt my truck at all?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Well we've decided to head down towards Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge Tennessee area. Hills should be a good test.

Picked up rental trailer and getting alot of porpoising up and down. The Jay Flight SLX267BHWS is only 5700 pounds, and i'm pulling it with 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 rated for 9100 lbs. They put a weight distributing hitch on (solid bar type) and he said that would minimize if not eliminate porpoising, but doesn't seem to be helping.
Is there any way to eliminate or reduce this, and if not, will 1000 mile roundtrip hurt my truck at all?
Sounds like your hitch isn't adjusted properly. If it feels like your front end isn't planted, harder to steer, feels likes it's floating a bit, you'll need to adjust the hitch to put more weight on the front of your truck. This usually requires moving the position of the bracket(s) on the trailer higher, or changing the angle of the hitch head, or both. If you didn't notice a drive'ability difference after the hitch was installed, it isn't setup right. It took me 4 hours to get my hitch dialed in. Do you know the brand of the hitch? Is your truck 'squatting'?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the great information Kayakterp! This will be very helpful in our decision-making process.
As with most men, glad to offer advice (LOL)
I found it very helpful to compare options from SLX to normal JAYFLIGHT to ELITE. If you don't have this information then you can always go to JAYCO.COM and check the tab of BROCHURES. And it has same info.
Hope you figure out your weight distribution issue!
Happy Glamping!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS