Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #1

Texas roads

How are I 10 and I 20 in Texas? Looking for road conditions, road construction etc., which might be better in January? Heading west the first part of January.
Thanks.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #2

I recently traveled on I20 from far east Texas to Monahans and did not encounter any noticeable problems. There was the usual traffic going through DFW, but nothing horrible (we stayed on I20 which goes somewhat south of a lot of the traffic). There was some construction, but nothing that slowed us down for long. I10 goes through both Houston and San Antonio, both of which I'd rather avoid if possible. But your route depends on where you are and where you are going.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #3

Um, that's about 800 mi (el paso to the Tx/La border). I drove about 40 mi of that yesterday (I-20, Longview Tx to Shreveport La) and it was fine. I-10 around Houston is OK too, but I might be inclined to take the Beltway 8 loop (toll) around the downtown area during peak traffic. Google maps on a smart phone with traffic feature activated will help you anticipate wrecks and construction while en route.
RV is right, I-10 thru San Antonio is a "challenge".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
How are I 10 and I 20 in Texas? Looking for road conditions, road construction etc., which might be better in January? Heading west the first part of January.
Thanks.

We started traveling west five years ago for the winter from Michigan. My how the time flys by. I remember the first time I was a little nervous of some of the roads and big city's . It's really easy we all seem to worry about the unknown but when we experience it we wondered what the worry was about. I personally like to stay on the interstates as much as possible it's easier for me to find truck stops for diesel I am too long for most gas stations( double tow) and the grades on the roads are much softer. We spent 2 years in the rio grande valley around Alamo Texas and three in Az . Last year we went to both to meet up with old friends. When traveling I do most of the driving and a couple hours before we stop the wife pulls the books out and sets up a campground for the night . Makes it easy for me . Enjoy your travels and build memories.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #5

I live just outside San Antonio and have a lot of family in Houston. I've just about worn my own groove in the pavement between Houston and San Antonio. I10 through Houston is a parking lot if you hit it at the wrong time (even though it's the biggest highway in the country on the West side out toward Katy) and Beltway 8 can get pretty bad at rush hour as well. I wouldn't even attempt it unless you have a toll tag that the various Texas toll authorities will recognize, you'll literally spend hours waiting in line at toll booths, and heaven forbid if you "run" the booth expecting to get the bill in the mail. Unlike some other tollways in TX, you don't just pay a nominal additional amount in toll, you get a hefty fine.

To call I-10 through San Antonio a "challenge" is an understatement IMHO. On the East side of the city, the road is so rough it's a miserable drive without a trailer, towing through there is downright tortuous. Then you get to downtown; like many other cities, there's the traffic to deal with. But try to go around like on 1604 or "loop" 410, and I wish you the best of luck. I don't know how they can call that an "Interstate". That route is full of interchanges getting on and off several different roads, having to cross 3 lanes in 1/2 mile to get to the next interchange and speeds will drop to 20 mph on hairpin curves (if you're even able to catch them).

I-10 between Houston and SA is not so bad (if there's not a wreck) but once you make it out the West side of SA, there are some pretty big "hills" to deal with.

Sorry, I can't help you with the East/West on I20, I haven't been that way in forever (the outlaws used to live in Longview years ago). Last time I was there I was coming from Michigan and picked up I-30 in Little Rock, but getting through Dallas on that route was not bad at all. I-20 coming from Louisiana through East Texas is a pretty drive though; lots of tall pine forest.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

I run I-20 from about Longview to the west side of Ft.Worth pretty regular pulling our 5er as we stay at Lake Benbrook COE camp a lot,son lives in Benbrook.early morning/late afternoon gets slow but not a real problem.Its been 3 years since I have been any further but had no problems to Monahans.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #7

Love I10 west of San Antonio ...85 MPH speed limit...for hundreds of miles.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #8

Every broken windshield we have ever gotten was on I 10 !!!!! But as stated above The speed limit is higher, I don't tow over 60/65 anyway,when towing be safe Not Fast !!!
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote