Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #1

The beer in my Norcold is Notcold!

We purchased a new 2015 Jayco Premier Eagle 375BHFS which is equipped with a four door Norcold 1210 model dual "fuel" fridge/freezer. Worked like a machine for about 10 months.......and then.....not so good. Initially, we noticed the unit was not cooling as much for a couple days and at one point we remembered hearing the if the unit is not level, it will not function correctly.

I releveled the trailer and unbelievably, the unit started cooling again the next day. I was shocked as we were not out of level that much but had been sitting for a long time and had settled in a little for the winter!. Hah.

Well, a week or so later and boom.....not getting cold. The freezer does keep a little space frozen (but its more like 32, not 0) and the fridge is sorta cold but not anywhere near the 35 or so it should be.

Any help out there?

Let me know your thoughts. As we live in this while we are building, we did not want to take it in for service if we can get away without it. You know, moving your home and giving it up for a couple days is hard.

Thanks for any help.

Appreciated greatly

Patrick
jayco375bhfs-livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #2

Talk to the dealer. Almost every issue we've had, they order us the new piece and when it's on, we bring in the defective part and replace ourselves. I think the call would be worth for a refrigerator that is only 10 months old.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #3

This could be a long shot but just figured it out with our fridge. It worked great initially first 2 camping trips. Then the last 2 I could tell it was not cold enough. I kept making sure that little slider on the right was all the way up even though I have no idea how it does anything. My son noticed when he took some hamburger meat out that a side of the package was hot to the touch. It was right under the light bulb in there. We put 2 and 2 together and realized the light was staying on when the door was closed! It gives off a surprisingly large amount of heat. We confirmed by turning on the video recording on my phone and sticking it in the fridge and closing the door. Sure enough that was the problem.

Hoping there is a better fix but for now we just added some duct tape to the end of the prong that sticks out to turn off light when door is closed to turn off the light.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:45 AM   #4

Just curious if your fridge is in a slide. If so then the top vent is on the outside wall instead of the roof and it is harder for it to circulate air flow over the coils.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #5

You may want to do a Google search for Norcold RV refrigerator recalls. They had a few models recalled a few years ago because they were causing fires when the circuit board went bad.

On the other hand, my Norcold 2-door went out last week. Called a local mobile RV repair service, who confirmed that the coils has sprung a leak, and lost all the ammonia. This has become a very common problem with Norcolds. Open up your bottom vent and see if there is any golden-brown dust on the coils or the compartment floor. That dust is left behind when the ammonia gets "dumped" into the compartment. (FYI: it also set off my propane/CO detector, but I'd had trouble with it before, so just disconnected it.) The mobile service I called removed the refrigerator, took it to their shop, ordered a rebuilt coil, installed and tested it, then returned it to me on Tuesday (5.5 days total). Cost was $820, but (because yours is a 4-door) it will probably be more. If your rig is still under warranty, call your dealer and let them know. But do it quickly! My Norcold only had a 1 year warranty! Rebuilt coil comes with a 2-year warranty.

Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

First it should be taken care of under warranty. Jayco warranty is 2 years on everything regardless of manufacturer limits.

Did you try the unit on propane? If so was there a change? Propane is the most efficient and coldest the fridge will get. If you find it works under those conditions then it's possible the electrical side of the system is malfunctioning. If no change then the Ammonia system is where you have your issue or a bad thermostat possibly.

Best to get a mobile tech on it before your time runs out.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #7

Before you do anything you should get a thermometer and record the actual temperature in the freezer and fridge. That will get you much farther with a dealer or service person than "my beer isn't cold enough".

The suggestion above to test it on propane is a good one too.

Cheers
Old 03-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #8

Warm beer is unacceptable. This problem needs to be rectified ASAP.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #9

X2
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #10

I have no technical expertise to add but I just wanted to say you win my vote for most clever thread title.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote