Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

The ordeal of the oven door seal...

We purchased a new TT last month and discovered a faulty oven door seal during the PDI. No big deal, right? Well, grab a cup of coffee and consider the tale I am about to tell. The entire oven door seal consists of three pieces of slotted rubber-type gasketing held in place onto the face of the stove by metal clips. Full MSRP on this kit is about $35. My original suggestion to the dealer to just grab the necessary parts off another unit in stock was politely declined for some unknown reason (they have at least 50 units on the lot with the exact same stove), so I told them to just ship it direct to me and I’d install it myself as I live an hour from the dealer.
Fast forward 3 weeks later and I’m starting to get a bit worried so I call to follow-up on it. Bad news…there’s no record of us ever needing this part on file. Worse news…they can’t just send me one without a record of the damage to document it to Jayco for replacement. It’s still not the end of the world in my mind. Who uses their oven in August anyways? So I went ahead and emailed photos of the missing seal portion to service manager and confirmed the part as being direct shipped to me.
Three days later, a box arrives via shipper that appears suspiciously large and too heavy to be correct. I open the box to discover that I now have an entire new door assembly in my possession but still no gasket. So, back on the phone to the service manager I go. I now find out that the part number is correct on my packing list, but somehow the wrong part was pulled and shipped. The service manager has been fantastic and responsive thus far, so we re-order gasket set. The shipping warehouse is supposed to send a call tag for the wrong part along with the new shipment. You guessed it…3 days later an identically suspicious box of larger dimensions arrives with yet another entire door assembly and no call tag for the first one.
Admitting defeat, I ordered the entire gasket set on Amazon for less than $20 and had it in 2 days. I still don’t have the heart to tell the poor service manager that it happened again, so in his soon to be arriving follow-up call I will assure him that all is well. Always the glass half-full kind of guy that I am, I now consider myself blessed to be able to survive at least 2 episodes of epic oven door tragedies at some point in the future.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #2

An other bright side view of the situation:

You could possibly sell the 2 extra brand-new doors for the cost+shipping of the parts you bought.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

Something similar happened to my dad. They kept sending him the wrong capacity magazine for one of his handguns (some mixup with the part number). He kept offering to send the wrong ones back (they still fit his gun, they were just the lower capacity), they kept saying "no, it's alright, just keep them and we'll get the right ones out to you". It happened like 3 times before he finally got the right ones. He kept telling them they had the part/pick numbers wrong in their system, and they didn't seem to care. So he just kept getting the wrong magazines until he finally got the right ones and kept all the others.

It makes me wonder sometimes how companies can stay in business when stuff like that happens. They must have a heck of a margin on some of these things if they can just "forget" about getting the wrong part back.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
Site Team

I would have swapped out the first one. Whole door and all.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would have swapped out the first one. Whole door and all.
Re-read the first post, the door doesn't come with the seal.

If I'm not mistaken, the seal is on the oven body.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Team

aha! well congratulations, SparkDR you are a very patient and understanding person. Maybe it will be a interesting campfire story?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote