Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #1

Unhappy There goes the new camper smell...

We recently got a 2012 32TSBH and are enjoying all great benefits it has to offer over our former 2011 28BHS. But what has alarmed me though are all the little and a few not so little quality issues we're running into. Way more than we had with the 28BHS. Screen door wouldn't latch. Bathroom faucet loose. 6" long by 1/4" wide gouge in wood work around dinette slide. Wood paneling in wardrobe and underneath bunks cut just plain crooked like someone did it by hand and wasn't watching what they were doing. Excessive and sloppy application of sealant in multiple places. Dinette seating screwed together crooked. Blind above couch cut crooked. Two 1/4" scratches in mirror glass in bathroom. And the straw that broke the camel's back, the stove exhaust fan was wired or installed backwards. Cooked some bacon last Sunday morning and filled the camper with smoke/steam, set off the alarm, and the camper now smells like maple bacon... the new camper smell is gone...

I understand in the RV industry that some issues are considered "acceptable" and the dealer is the entity responsible to fix them. What would an iPad or iPhone be like if it had as many defects as this when you opened it up? What would a new car or truck be like if it suffered as many issues? I think it's high time the RV industry got their crap together and brought their level of quality up to par with the rest of the world. A new camper should not have this many issues or even left the factory with some of them. I love my camper and it's design, I don't love what was considered "acceptable" when I picked it up. It's like they're seeing how much they can get away with, how much I won't notice or care enough about to do anything. I will say though that my dealer is doing a great job taking care of me and issues are being resolved. But isn't it cheaper to just not go there to begin with? Please Jayco, do the right thing for all of us and put better quality control in place. I had to say this in good conscience.
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

Reading that makes me more than a little nervous. My 32BHDS is scheduled to built in the next week or so. One does assume there will be the odd mistake/overlook but what you have described is far from acceptable. What has your dealer said or done for you so far??? I am hoping that Jayco will step up to the plate and fix it...or they are going to have many very unhappy customers.
ajb1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your quality issues, John. Did you notice any of this when you did the PDI and if so, what was the dealer's response? It seems to me it would be more expensive for Jayco to correct quality issues after the fact vs. taking care of things during the manufacturing process.

I know this... next time I buy a new trailer, I will be checking everything before I accept it based on some of the comments here.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #4

Hmm lot of that should have been caught and corrected by the dealer...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #5

I wonder how many issues the 32TSBH will have being this is the first year of production.

2016 JayFlight X23F
11 Expedition EL
4 Girls under 8 yrs old
1 Wife
1 Dog
2 guinea pigs that stay home...
cbaka27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

Why did you take the camper if it had thoose issues? Why not ask for another one? There were lots to choose from where we bought ours. We had a few issues with ours but nothing like that!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #7

I am doing the PDI on our 32TSBH Friday morning, and havr already warned them that I am very picky. Swung by today and did a little preview and they were already detailing it. It looked very good, and they assured me if there were any issues that they would have them found and corrected before I got there (we will see). But unfortunately as you are seeing now, it is much easier to get these things addressed BEFORE you drive off the lot. Once you leave you loose almost all of your leverage.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #8

Thanks guys for the feedback. To answer your questions, yes I caught several of these things on my PDI, actually before. Some of them I didn't. So far my salesman is listening and doing a great job. Issues are being forwarded to their service dept and most are being addressed. They seem hesitant to deal with the defective wood issues. Rest is going pretty good. Question that sticks out in my mind is what should have been taken care of by my dealer and what should have been addressed by Jayco. Our 32TSBH was the only one on the lots in Iowa so I couldn't just snag another camper. I was thinking about calling Jayco customer service and running it by them to see what they say.
Equalizer 12K
Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #9

You probably should. I've spoken with them about things in the past and they've always been pretty reasonable.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #10

Stuff like the damage on the mirror and the wood gouge should have been handled by the factory unless that stuff happened after the fact. The fit-and-finish items and miswiring definitely should have been caught at the factory.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgvn77 View Post
Thanks guys for the feedback. I was thinking about calling Jayco customer service and running it by them to see what they say.
I would take pictures and send them to Derald Bontrager.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #12

IT's always been my personal experience that Jayco is excellent about standing behind and fixing pretty much anything I've asked them to. As has been pointed out, I too would think it would be chaper in the long run if they caught and corrected "blemishes" before releasing the unit for shipping. They've got to know any unit ordered specifically for a customer is going to be gone over with a fine tooth comb
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Hmm lot of that should have been caught and corrected by the dealer...
I agree. The dealer should have fixed some of these issues before you saw it.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #14

Personally, I feel there's fault on both sides with Jayco and my dealer. Jayco shouldn't have let some stuff out the door and my dealer should have caught a bunch of this stuff and taken care of it before I even saw it, regardless. I do feel they were seeing what they could get away with and address whatever I brought to their attention. This camper was built in August of '11 and I purchased it last month. They had plenty of time to take care of things. I'm going to call Jayco tomorrow and run this by them just to get and idea who they feel is responsible. I also need to find out from their Engineering Dept where my black tank is underneath (underbelly is enclosed) so I can cut an access panel and put in a black tank sprayer, but that's another post My dealer's service rep suggested I tow my camper 60 miles to their dealership to have the remaining issues I discovered repaired... I politely declined and told them to come fix it
Equalizer 12K
Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgvn77 View Post
And the straw that broke the camel's back, the stove exhaust fan was wired or installed backwards. Cooked some bacon last Sunday morning and filled the camper with smoke/steam, set off the alarm, and the camper now smells like maple bacon... the new camper smell is gone...
This may be a stupid question, but did you check the little levers that hold the flap closed on the stove vent, look up inside the external vent and you'll see them (I speak from experience...) I forgot to check them and filled our trailer up with smoke!
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #16

Tom, you are the man! That's exactly what it was! I took the filter out and felt around in there and the exit path for the fan was completely blocked. Went outside and looked up the external vent and sure enough there are a couple latches that hold a plastic flap in place. Undid the latches and the air exits just fine! Never had to do this with my 28BHS so I never realized it was there.

I did call Jayco this morning to talk about my issues. I was very happy with their response and the woman I talked to did great. Basically it's Jayco's stance that the dealer is responsible for taking care of issues after they take delivery. She said that once they take delivery, they own the camper. She said my dealer should have inspected, noted, and taken care of the issues before I picked up the camper. I didn't ask but they were more than willing to have my camper repaired locally through someone else other than my dealer which surprised me. I told her that my main purpose was to make them aware of my issues I had so the appropriate people there can take note. My experience rings true with many other people I've read about on here. My dealer contacted me today and is sending their mobile tech to address the issues. So far so good!
Equalizer 12K