Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #1

To dump or not

New to the game, if you are at a campground with full hookups should you leave the black water tank open or dump when it's full
RP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

keep it closed and dump when its full. If not you are going to have a pile of poo and paper at the bottom of the tank
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #3

I never have the black tank dump valve in the open position when hooked up to a full hookup site. You should have about 5 gals of water in your tank and then dump it when needed and then close the valve and add about 5 gals of water back in the tank. This will help to prevent any solids from drying out. I also do the same for the gray tank although that isn't as important. At the very least check your monitor panel daily and dump when needed.
Just my opinion.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #4

Thanks I thought you should keep it closed but like I said. New to the game. We love it seems like we have moved to the penthouse. Been tent camping for years but got tired of sleeping on the ground.
RP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP53 View Post
We love it seems like we have moved to the penthouse. Been tent camping for years but got tired of sleeping on the ground.
We understand that feeling.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
We understand that feeling.
sure is nice to wake up with your bones not hurting
Old 09-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
keep it closed and dump when its full. If not you are going to have a pile of poo and paper at the bottom of the tank
Hmmm.... I can see the rationale. I am only 12 months into the game and had just left it open when at a site with hookup. Learn something new every day. I also see people going to great lengths to "clean out the black tank" with various sprayers, add-ons and what not, but for us, it hasn't been a lick of trouble just dumping when needed and not cleaning. I have used a few of the tablets when I think about it, but the vent keeps it from smelling up the trailer if I end up with something in the tank when I store it. I guess I'm lucky its working well? One time was servicing the trailer in storage and had a sudden need to BM and used it, didn't notice any difference next time we used it.

Also a tent camper who's DW insisted we needed something with AC for summer camping, it does feel quite like cheating to have a/c & heat, hot water, a sink, fridge/freezer and a thick foam mattress!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #8

Welcome aboard. Both to the Jayco site and to RV style camping.

I, not SWMBO decided that a hot shower, flush toilet and a place to wash dishes was a mandatory part of our camping experiences from now on. Don't miss the tent, air mattress, soggy food or backaches at all!

Because we boondock, dumping nearly full gray and black tanks is a normal process.

When parked outside the barn, I leave both tanks open and run water through them from time-to-time.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Welcome aboard. Both to the Jayco site and to RV style camping.

I, not SWMBO decided that a hot shower, flush toilet and a place to wash dishes was a mandatory part of our camping experiences from now on. Don't miss the tent, air mattress, soggy food or backaches at all!

Because we boondock, dumping nearly full gray and black tanks is a normal process.

When parked outside the barn, I leave both tanks open and run water through them from time-to-time.
THANKS, yeah its a lot different.
by the way how does your TT pull with the Tacoma , my Colorado does great
Old 09-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Its fine to use the facilities while in storage. Just keep some water in the fresh tank and flush with plenty of water.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
Hmmm.... I can see the rationale. I am only 12 months into the game and had just left it open when at a site with hookup. Learn something new every day. I also see people going to great lengths to "clean out the black tank" with various sprayers, add-ons and what not, but for us, it hasn't been a lick of trouble just dumping when needed and not cleaning. I have used a few of the tablets when I think about it, but the vent keeps it from smelling up the trailer if I end up with something in the tank when I store it. I guess I'm lucky its working well? One time was servicing the trailer in storage and had a sudden need to BM and used it, didn't notice any difference next time we used it.

Also a tent camper who's DW insisted we needed something with AC for summer camping, it does feel quite like cheating to have a/c & heat, hot water, a sink, fridge/freezer and a thick foam mattress!
Its great to be lucky It's always good until it's not. Typically it doesn't slowly stop draining, it works and then bam... it won't dump. The build up is slow but the blockage is not. When you leave the black tank drain open, the liquids will drain leaving the solids behind...eventually the solids will build up to a point that it will restrict anything from dumping. At that point is can be a major problem. Most RV centers will not work on black tanks unless totally clean.
For longevity of your system it is best to use RV approved paper, add chemicals between dumps to facilitate breaking down of solids and odor control. Dump when full, use plenty of water and if you have black tank flush use it when dumping. You will be amazed at how much solids come out after your tank is "empty". This is not a place to be lazy about preventative maintenance. JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Hmmm.... I can see the rationale. I am only 12 months into the game and had just left it open when at a site with hookup. Learn something new every day. I also see people going to great lengths to "clean out the black tank" with various sprayers, add-ons and what not, but for us, it hasn't been a lick of trouble just dumping when needed and not cleaning. I have used a few of the tablets when I think about it, but the vent keeps it from smelling up the trailer if I end up with something in the tank when I store it. I guess I'm lucky its working well? !
A little chemical in your black water tank will be appreciated by your down wind neighbors. The vent does keep the inside of your RV from being stinky but the vent does vent your stinky into the campground.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #13

Rarely do we have full hookups. More water you have in the tank, the better the flow. Before dumping we fill the black tank 3/4 full or better, by pushing the peddle and let the water flow.

After dumping always add a few gallons of water to the tank. With a small tank 2-4 gallons. With some of the big tanks 5-7 gallons or more is better.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #14

Seasoned campers behind us on our first trip advised us to keep both tanks closed until we are ready to leave, then dump the black tank followed by the gray tank. That way you clean the hose out with gray water.
We are "those people" who only do number 1 in our potty. We do put chemicals in both tanks as soon as we set up so we have never had a problem with odors.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
THANKS, yeah its a lot different.
by the way how does your TT pull with the Tacoma , my Colorado does great
Direct bumper pull with a full fresh water tank was "unpleasant".

I switched over to a WDH and started getting our water after parking at the campsight. After those changes, handling is back to "nice".

But the 3.8L V6 is just "adequate". Using the cruise control, the transmission will downshift too low when climbing hills on the Interstate. Letting the rig loose a few MPH manually is easier on the driveline.

I have plans to make my F350 more highway friendly. That'll mean I need a bigger trailer again.

And proud of it!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #16

Thanks, just curious how it handles
Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #17

Be sure to leave your Black tank closed until full. If not, you could have what's called the "Poop Pyramid". Look this up on the internet. Not a good situation! At the end of the camping trip, I check our black tank situation. If it's not full, I'll run water until it is full, then dump.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks, just curious how it handles
I rather enjoy over-sharing...

Maybe I should change my username to TMI?

And proud of it!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
... I also see people going to great lengths to "clean out the black tank" with various sprayers, add-ons and what not, but for us, it hasn't been a lick of trouble just dumping when needed and not cleaning. ....

I object to the use of the words "lick' and 'black tank' in the same sentence... just sayin...
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #20
Site Team

/\/\ lol /\/\

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote