Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
I think a seasonal site is a very personal decision. It is about what fits your needs and wants. For me, I like going places and exploring. We thought about renting a seasonal site near a friend’s TT, which is 45 minutes from home, and use it as a base camp/storage facility. Reason behind that was we had no off street parking (at the old house), and was not sure if leaving the HTT in the street in front of the house would be an issue or not. I was thinking if I had to store it, what not store it somewhere, where we could potentially use it. Luckily we never had any issues parking. I was thinking about bring it down there, park it, use it on the off weekends, and when we wanted to go somewhere, hook up and go.

This friend mentioned above, has been at this seasonal CG for many years. He lives about a mile from me. He goes down to the trailer almost every weekend after work on Friday, stays all weekend, and on Monday morning drives to work. Unfortunately his job is on the opposite side of town and on Mondays has about 1 hour drive to work, but he does not mind. He also keeps is motor boat at the CG, so he is off fishing every weekend.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
We considered this too at one point. In the end we couldn't justify it because we would not have been able to use it much more than we currently camp. And we like the fact that we are not tied to one place.

To that point, we love going to Door County, WI. Our daughter lives in the UP now. And every couple of years or so we like to take a longer trip, this Sept. we're going to Great Smokey Mountains. Can't do all these places in the same year with a seasonal site.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
We have seasonal site and made sure that the site was easy to pull the trailer in and out of so we could easily go mobile. I never thought I'd have a seasonal but we found a great campground, clean friendly not too busy with crazy activities. The fees for the site including elec and water was equal to storage around home.
2015 Jay Flight 31 RLDS
2015 F250, Reese straightline
Ham Lic: W4TFB
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
We used to camp all over and liked the idea of seeing new places. Then, in 1986 we bought 10 acres and located our camper there. A few years later we bought the 40 acres next door, put in a pond, etc. Its 2 hours from home.

I like the idea of not having to haul a trailer - now we can go in our smaller car. Park the car and open the door and we're home. The only added chore is cutting the grass, but that's only about an hour job.

Our initial investment was only $3000 and the we got the added property for less than $150 an acre. My investment has amortized now to only about $350 a year, and my taxes are less than $500. So, cost wise its pretty cheap.

Having a second home - a place to call your own - is a very good feeling for us. An added benefit is we can do as we please without violating any rules. For example, my 25 and 100 yard rifle ranges are things that we could not have at a public campground.

We still take traveling vacations, but have switched to Caribbean cruises. Now, that's a topic for discussion all in itself.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #15
We decided to go seasonal this year. We are younger the wife and I but love it and hate it. Neibhors are a little loud for us but we will move next year to different site. We view it as a mini vacation every weekend. Great for our young boys. I'm pretty sure we will seasonal for quite some time. We use ours 3 weekends a month plus during the week and pay 3000 with pool. Money well spend as far as we are concerned. If your going to use it then it's great. But if we didn't live as close we would just weekend it. Really convenient not having to set up every weekend.
bluesquiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
We've been seasonal for 8 years now and wouldn't have it any other way. It lets us go much more than when we were not. Great site on Kentucky Lake where we fish, on the water, I was able to put up a portable building to house my bass boat during fishing times, and we keep the tritoon on the parking lot by the beach. Works for us....
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #17
This is our 2nd year as seasonal campers and we love it. We are located at a great campground on Cape Cod which had lots of amenities including a pool, pond and activities. We pay over $4,000 per year but since we are on Cape Cod it it the going rate. We go from work on Friday and go to work from there on Monday.

2015 Jayflight 34RSBS
safetylady is offline   Reply With Quote